2020 Signings

Townster1

2 hours ago, JMB said:

I know its water under the bridge now but this is were Jonty Gorley  would have made a difference  at the club,  no disrespect  but don't think Gary Murdock has the same respect as Jonty Gorley had and has from the locals lads. 

I totally disagree. Gary was an achiever when he coached Town and we were in a healthy position when he quit for personal reasons. Subsequently he took Maryport and a very entertaining side called West Cumbria Crusaders to great levels. Every group of players that he mentored bought into his style of coaching and I for one am delighted that he is back on board at Town. 

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, JMB said:

I know its water under the bridge now but this is were Jonty Gorley  would have made a difference  at the club,  no disrespect  but don't think Gary Murdock has the same respect as Jonty Gorley had and has from the locals lads. 

I don't think it's that, just different era's or phases in these players careers they come into contact with different people/coaches.

Jonty is the past at Town, well respected and always will be at the club but at the moment the future is Thorman and Murdock so let's see what that brings and support it. 

6 hours ago, JMB said:

Reading CT comments in tonight's paper, looking like he will be looking for a few changes at the club and also introducing some new ideas, first thing I would suggest is trying to get  a scouting network working from one end of the county to the other end, and Town will have plenty of X players would jump at the chance to help the club on this, still plenty of young talent knocking about in the area.

Good interview . The fact he’s looking to overhaul things and get everything as he wants it to enable us to progress . Give him the freedom , time and support to do as he pleases and I’m sure it’ll lead to big positives .This is where the long term deal is a good stabilising thing . I think we’re in good professional hands with him .

48 minutes ago, Seaton Sandy said:

I totally disagree. Gary was an achiever when he coached Town and we were in a healthy position when he quit for personal reasons. Subsequently he took Maryport and a very entertaining side called West Cumbria Crusaders to great levels. Every group of players that he mentored bought into his style of coaching and I for one am delighted that he is back on board at Town. 

Not saying Murdock wasn't an achiever or a good coach, I'm talking about him getting respect from young local players, both amateur and semi  pro, and attracting them to the club. 

8 minutes ago, JMB said:

Not saying Murdock wasn't an achiever or a good coach, I'm talking about him getting respect from young local players, both amateur and semi  pro, and attracting them to the club. 

And I repeat , Gary Murdock is well regarded amongst local players and , importantly, by their families who acknowledge his pedigree as an exceptional player and a judge of local talent. His ability to engage with the players and bring the best out of them is testament to his man- management skills and I have no doubt that he will prove to be a valuable part of the new axis at Town. We have traditionally recruited well from the community that Gary is so familiar with and I am certain that if prospects are identified he will be no barrier to their recruitment. 

30 minutes ago, Seaton Sandy said:

And I repeat , Gary Murdock is well regarded amongst local players and , importantly, by their families who acknowledge his pedigree as an exceptional player and a judge of local talent. His ability to engage with the players and bring the best out of them is testament to his man- management skills and I have no doubt that he will prove to be a valuable part of the new axis at Town. We have traditionally recruited well from the community that Gary is so familiar with and I am certain that if prospects are identified he will be no barrier to their recruitment. 

Respect your personal  views on that, he will have plenty of work cut out for himself if he was  at last nights 19s game then.

I confess to a certain bias towards Gary. When he coached Town he sat near a bunch of us supporters at the back of the stand and his passion and enthusiasm played out for all to see. Even though he didn't have a jersey on he lived every minute of the action !  When he moved on I always made the journey down to Maryport to enjoy the exploits of the locals that he coached with such success. It was a joy to watch a group of guys playing an expansive game with a smile on their faces. No 5 drives and a kick for Murdock - it was all about sleight of hand and exploiting the edges with pace and skil. 

16 hours ago, Seaton Sandy said:

I confess to a certain bias towards Gary. When he coached Town he sat near a bunch of us supporters at the back of the stand and his passion and enthusiasm played out for all to see. Even though he didn't have a jersey on he lived every minute of the action !  When he moved on I always made the journey down to Maryport to enjoy the exploits of the locals that he coached with such success. It was a joy to watch a group of guys playing an expansive game with a smile on their faces. No 5 drives and a kick for Murdock - it was all about sleight of hand and exploiting the edges with pace and skil. 

16 hours ago, Seaton Sandy said:

One of the biggest things for the club is getting out and around the local amateur  games, someone said earlier that our X coach  LP didn't attend local games, i seen him at serval local NCL games last season, he wasn't that dumb,  he was always with young Mr McDowell,  but the club has to make  sure that they are scene out and about making connections and showing they are taking an interest in the local game, even in Copeland and the Barrow area, that's something that the Whitehaven coaching team have been doing since appointed.

I noticed last week at the Cumbria youth league finals that a couple of Newcastle academy guys in attendance  watching the games,  it would be great to see our own academy  set up in west Cumbria, but this time with proper infrastructure  in place with all  the amateur clubs supporting it.

1 hour ago, JMB said:

One of the biggest things for the club is getting out and around the local amateur  games, someone said earlier that our X coach  LP didn't attend local games, i seen him at serval local NCL games last season, he wasn't that dumb,  he was always with young Mr McDowell,  but the club has to make  sure that they are scene out and about making connections and showing they are taking an interest in the local game, even in Copeland and the Barrow area, that's something that the Whitehaven coaching team have been doing since appointed.

I noticed last week at the Cumbria youth league finals that a couple of Newcastle academy guys in attendance  watching the games,  it would be great to see our own academy  set up in west Cumbria, but this time with proper infrastructure  in place with all  the amateur clubs supporting it.

Totally agree with you about an Academy. This is something that both clubs should and could work together on and combined they could put pressure on the rugb6 League. It’s disgraceful that Newcastle are having first pick on the youngsters in this area. We used to have one based at Lillyhall didn’t we but didn’t Widnes take that over? 

23 hours ago, donald said:

Signed a new contract with barrow they'll take some stopping next year forster next big signing for them

Foster confirmed at Barrow.

strange he left Whitehaven because of the travelling, Barrow while not as far is still a trek.

33 minutes ago, Rango said:

strange he left Whitehaven because of the travelling, Barrow while not as far is still a trek.

So swapped Riley and walker for foster, I would say barrow got the best of that. 

32 minutes ago, Rango said:

The biggest cul-de-sac in the UK !  It's a beautiful part of the county but that journey seems to take an eternity. When you eventually get there all you can do is turn round and drive back. Looks like Barrow are recruiting early and I am disappointed that T didn't come home. 

3 hours ago, JMB said:

5 more to go incoming weeks to Newcastle that is.

34 minutes ago, Bearintown said:

Haven fan toldme Forster didnt want to play Championship rugby again

That's right you also train 3 times a week in the championship Forster who works for a living aswell as   playing rugby sees it better for him to train twice in league 1 to spend more time with his family that's the only reason he left haven and he knew how much we valued him 

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

He should have hung around for a year then 

Thought you were better than that ,we would love to be in their position .Given potential changes in league structure we should be hoping we are top half of league 1 and both us and haven end up in the championship.After all the preseason bravado from us ,may it's time to admit they done well and move on .We have a massive challenge next season ,Barrow going to be very strong ,and then cougars with no points off will push for it .Let's just concentrate on what we can achieve not others .

12 minutes ago, Brad hepis heed said:

Thought you were better than that ,we would love to be in their position .Given potential changes in league structure we should be hoping we are top half of league 1 and both us and haven end up in the championship.After all the preseason bravado from us ,may it's time to admit they done well and move on .We have a massive challenge next season ,Barrow going to be very strong ,and then cougars with no points off will push for it .Let's just concentrate on what we can achieve not others .

Go and have a sense of humour transplant 

31 minutes ago, Brad hepis heed said:

You really are embarassing. 

5 minutes ago, town4me said:

No thanks. When we go up I would like us to be much better prepared and have built a team that just needs a few additions to give us a chance of surviving.  

Yet at the start of the season you were saying we should go up and we weren't in that position .

Just smacks of jealousy , we really under achieved ,while some say they massively over achieved or maybe they just played to their strengths .

They certainly were not attractive from what I seen 5 drives and kick but very effective.

If we go up next season the squad will need more than a few additions,just like Whitehaven's will , because the gap.betweens the league's is getting bigger .

Let them have their hour in the sun,but to run it down says more about us than them .

5 hours ago, Marrafan said:

Totally agree with you about an Academy. This is something that both clubs should and could work together on and combined they could put pressure on the rugb6 League. It’s disgraceful that Newcastle are having first pick on the youngsters in this area. We used to have one based at Lillyhall didn’t we but didn’t Widnes take that over? 

Problem with Town and Haven having a joint academy would be a one or two directors from each club who are just blinkered and cant see the bigger picture, 

6 minutes ago, Brad hepis heed said:

Yet at the start of the season you were saying we should go up and we weren't in that position .

Just smacks of jealousy , we really under achieved ,while some say they massively over achieved or maybe they just played to their strengths .

They certainly were not attractive from what I seen 5 drives and kick but very effective.

If we go up next season the squad will need more than a few additions,just like Whitehaven's will , because the gap.betweens the league's is getting bigger .

Let them have their hour in the sun,but to run it down says more about us than them .

You don't fool anyone  "marra". You have gone up on merit but trying to build a squad to survive the championship in 3 to 4 months is difficult. 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

He should have hung around for a year then 

Maybe didn't fancy the going up and playing at a  higher level,  plus its a better and shorter road to Barrow than Haven.

3 hours ago, Cumbria RL said:

5 more to go income 

They now have players from Hensingham, Kells, Seaton and Wath Brow I'm told, and maybe some from Cockermouth also, and with the kids from both Kells and Hensingham at Wigan, it shows the county has plenty  of talent,  pity neither Town or Haven never fancied working on the Barrow blue print for the local youngsters,  its proven a positive move for them  and the local  amateur clubs, 

Archived