2020 Signings

Townster1

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting news that the rfl are introducing a rule where we can have up to 10 amateurs on 'standby' should we find ourselves short on numbers?

Will amateur lads want to play if they are just being used when we're short? Will amateur teams be happy there players could get injured playing part time for town? 

Not sure how it will work? ?

1 hour ago, townie88 said:

Interesting news that the rfl are introducing a rule where we can have up to 10 amateurs on 'standby' should we find ourselves short on numbers?

Will amateur lads want to play if they are just being used when we're short? Will amateur teams be happy there players could get injured playing part time for town? 

Good idea I.M.O. it gives them a chance to be part of the semi pro set up without full commitment. If they feel its being used they could opt out.  It may tempt some to make the switch if they like it.

2 hours ago, townie88 said:

Dont think there will be many to be honest,are they allowed to be paid ?

As for the amateur clubs a lot depends how and when their players are taken,if they are prevented at short notice from playing on the Saturday because they are needed by a pro club for a game on the Sunday then no they won't be happy.

47 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

nyDont think there will be many to be honest,are they allowed to be paid ?

As for the amateur clubs a lot depends how and when their players are taken,if they are prevented at short notice from playing on the Saturday because they are needed by a pro club for a game on the Sunday then no they won't be happy.

Don't think its right for any semi pro club having to rely on amateur players to make up the numbers, if amateur players are to be used what's wrong with the trialist system.

48 minutes ago, JMB said:

Don't think its right for any semi pro club having to rely on amateur players to make up the numbers, if amateur players are to be used what's wrong with the trialist system.

It's hardly to make up the numbers is it. 

It's an opportunity for some to be identified, developed and if the situation arrives some young bloke may just get the chance they've been craving. 

Short sighted or just sheep who slag the RFL off with any possible solution will be the same dinosaurs who plead 

How did the RFL let this happen, DOC when a team somewhere goes in with less than 17!

Its not to make up numbers, waken up, if amateur's have been identified by a club and the club feels the player could make the grade get them in on trialist forms, townie88 post says, ( interesting news that the rfl are introducing a rule where we can have up to 10 amateurs on 'standby' should we find ourselves short on numbers? ) so that is not  making numbers ??

23 hours ago, havenhater said:

If even league Express stated about rooney it had clearly had some truth in it.

But the board then decided on thorman.

Let's move on 

Sellafield rumour was Rooney wanted full control of recruitment, but Director of Rugby ( GM ) wasn’t prepared to do that, so Rooney gave back word. GM and IR don’t like each other, history from their playing days.

HW

13 minutes ago, JMB said:

Its not to make up numbers, waken up, if amateur's have been identified by a club and the club feels the player could make the grade get them in on trialist forms, townie88 post says, ( interesting news that the rfl are introducing a rule where we can have up to 10 amateurs on 'standby' should we find ourselves short on numbers? ) so that is not  making numbers ??

Ok marra, keep finding the negative on everything. 

Your the type of person who'd probably say to a player invited and say  "they're using you marra, I wouldnt bother." 

I'd rather be the coach who said, "here is a massive opportunity to show how good you are, go for it, it may work out and either way you'll be a better player for experiencing it." 

It's another option to provide a route to a career. 

15 minutes ago, BlueVintheblood said:

Ok marra, keep finding the negative on everything. 

Your the type of person who'd probably say to a player invited and say  "they're using you marra, I wouldnt bother." 

I'd rather be the coach who said, "here is a massive opportunity to show how good you are, go for it, it may work out and either way you'll be a better player for experiencing it." 

It's another option to provide a route to a career. 

Correct. I would say they are using you, because the club would be, if  a club identifies a good amateur player they should be looking to give the player the opportunity, not wait until the club is struggling for numbers before giving him a chance. 

1 hour ago, JMB said:

Correct. I would say they are using you, because the club would be, if  a club identifies a good amateur player they should be looking to give the player the opportunity, not wait until the club is struggling for numbers before giving him a chance. 

I'd suspect it's not going to be any random 10 though, they could and should be identified and developed.

It's an alternative to handing out trialist forms as they have timescale restrictions of 28 or 90 days so rather than doing that this is a solution to a set of circumstances that have seen the clubs going in with less than 17.

These amateur players would have to be top drawer to be given the opportunity you mention above proven players, it's unlikely a coach would do that, it's possible but I'd suspect it's just not gonna happen and the coach would select the more experienced proven player. 

I'm more of the opinion that occasionally you'll get immediate gems like Callum and Brett Phillips but more often than not there'l be lads like Stevie Scholey or Tom Curwen who have had to work hard, be patient and wait for their opportunity to command a regular shirt. 

Are there players around that are patient enough to wait for the chance, I personally don't think there's many who are but given the opportunity to be part of a selected 10 may give them the extra motivation to strive to be ready if the chance came about, knowing they are on the clubs radar and maybe even being encouraged to train with the pro club without the fear of it being held against them by a shortsighted local club or it's coach. 

Trust me I've spoken to local lads who's coach said if you don't train with me twice you will not play at the weekend. 

Other than time restricted trialist forms can you suggest any other options for overcoming the unforseen circumstances that Town, Haven have encountered over the last few years.? 

You can't just keep offering deals out to lads either and rack up a 28 man squad, as there's not a bottomless pit of money and there's no reserve option in Cumbria to make sure these lads get regular games. 

Any other solutions? 

9 hours ago, BlueVintheblood said:

You can't just keep offering deals out to lads either and rack up a 28 man squad, as there's not a bottomless pit of money and there's no reserve option in Cumbria to make sure these lads get regular games. 

Any other solutions? 

The Cumberland League allows players to go back and play for their amateur club in their first year.

58 minutes ago, town2018 said:

Hopefully town will be watching the games from the community lions tour this week as some off the best amateurs in the country will be playing 

Keep reading that these Lions games are been broadcast on Sky, can’t find them on the Listings anywhere, there is no mention of them on the very reliant `rugbyleagueontv site. They are been broadcast in NZ I believe.

HW

26 minutes ago, Havenwarrior said:

Keep reading that these Lions games are been broadcast on Sky, can’t find them on the Listings anywhere, there is no mention of them on the very reliant `rugbyleagueontv site. They are been broadcast in NZ I believe.

HW

Yea I seen somewhere that sky were playing them Aswel 

21 hours ago, BlueVintheblood said:

It's hardly to make up the numbers is it. 

It's an opportunity for some to be identified, developed and if the situation arrives some young bloke may just get the chance they've been craving. 

Short sighted or just sheep who slag the RFL off with any possible solution will be the same dinosaurs who plead 

How did the RFL let this happen, DOC when a team somewhere goes in with less than 17!

I thought it was exactly to make up the numbers? To stop teams going into games without a full bench.

We find it hard enough to attract amateurs as it is. Never mind if they only know they will be involved as and when we need them? Will they receive contract money even if they dont play? 

I would love it to work. But can only see the semi pro clubs benefiting. 

Archived