Young player of the year shortlist

Dunbar

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/49634416

Five absolutely cracking players, Matty Lees, Jack Walker, Harry Newman, Jake Trueman and Morgan Smithies.

Smithies is my favourite young player for a long time but I would probably go for Trueman as he is a sensation at such a young age in a critical position.

All of these could go to the very top of the game.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Five absolutely cracking players, Matty Lees, Jack Walker, Harry Newman, Jake Trueman and Morgan Smithies.

Smithies is my favourite young player for a long time but I would probably go for Trueman as he is a sensation at such a young age in a critical position.

Jack Walker all day hes been brilliant for leeds

Trueman has, from what I've seen of the season, had the biggest impact, but that's a very decent shortlist.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

For me this is why picking an England team this year (ok, Great Britain) with the 2021 World Cup in mind is a futile task.

With two more seasons under their belt, every one of these players could be in the England team in 2021... this lot, and quite a few others coming through this year, are as exciting a crop of young players as we seen for some time.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

All really good players who will all be international level barring injuries imo. 

Walker in my opinion, he has been great for a struggling leeds and looks like a good player as opposed to the others who, to me, look good for young players. Trueman can still disappear a lot, Newman still needs to iron out a few positioning issues, Smithies and Lees are great young forwards but aren't going to hit the top of their games for a couple years really. 

Walker has an awful lot to improve on though. His error rate is quite high and his passing game needs a lot of work on. He also doesn't have a discernable kicking game, which the best full backs do.

His strengths are clearly his speed, evasiveness, reading of the game and he's got a pretty good last line of defence

17 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Then why not give them all a go this year injuries not withstanding?

I am talking about what these players could be in 2 years time, not what they are now.

3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

They all do.

My point wasnt that Walker was the finished article.just that because of his experience he is doing well on a different curve to the others.

Walker has also been spending his formative seasons in a seriously dysfunctional side. If Leeds stabilise, he's likely to progress more quickly in future.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

But it's too late to blood them in 2 years time (and probably next year is too important to dump them in)

If we think these players might be there in two years time this year is the perfect opportunity to expose them to international RL

I'm not really following your thought process on this thread.  in the post above this one you say that they all have a lot to improve on and then you say that they should be playing international rugby.

For England/GB, you select the best squad of players available at the time and then the best team from this selection.  If the coach is good enough then he gets the best out of theme as a team.  There simply isn't enough international Rugby League to build a club ethos or understanding (I am not happy with that but it is true).

The five players in the running for the young player of the year are not yet good enough to represent their country but in two years some or all of them could be and they should be selected then.

These five should all be picked to play for England Knights against Jamaica, along with a number of the other young players who are emerging. They are the future of England, so the sooner they start playing together the better.

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

I'm saying it's too big a risk to throw in an untested youngster, and even more so if we are looking at 5 or 6 in to an ashes series or world cup. Outside this series there are no other planned games. 

What do we do if all these players do show that in the next two years? Go in to a world cup with a side of 

Walker, Handley, Percival, Newman, Makinson, Williams, Trueman, Richardson, hodgkinson, Walmsley, Bateman, Whitehead, Ward,

Lees, Currie, Smithies, Watts

And next to no caps?

If that is the best team available at the time, yes.

You don't pick players before they are ready (we have development squads for that) but if they are the best available then you pick them.

I'd agree with that. I think it says something that both Newman and Walker have shone in side that's been really poor in its structures and systems.

Or imagine if Walker had left Leeds while they were in chaos and joined a team that was doing well at the time. I'm thinking of Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad going from being a bit-part player at Auckland to being a headline-grabbing star at Canberra.

Sometimes it isn't just the quality of the player, but which team he finds himself in, and when.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Smithies just has something special about him. What a player he will be. 

As to who is the best now, Trueman then daylight for mine. 

Exactly this.

Trueman should be in the GB squad this year.

Walker will either be the best in the world or fade away.

People called Romans they go the house

I'm saying it's too big a risk to throw in an untested youngster, and even more so if we are looking at 5 or 6 in to an ashes series or world cup. Outside this series there are no other planned games. 

What do we do if all these players do show that in the next two years? Go in to a world cup with a side of 

Walker, Handley, Percival, Newman, Makinson, Williams, Trueman, Richardson, hodgkinson, Walmsley, Bateman, Whitehead, Ward,

Lees, Currie, Smithies, Watts

And next to no caps?

Richardson as Prop? Have you been on the vino? 

7 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I’m slightly confused, as Total RL has reported that Naulago is on the list instead of Newman. 

Naulago isn’t that young though is he? 

https://www.totalrl.com/five-shortlisted-for-super-league-young-player-of-the-year/

8 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I’m slightly confused, as Total RL has reported that Naulago is on the list instead of Newman. 

https://www.totalrl.com/five-shortlisted-for-super-league-young-player-of-the-year/

He's 27 according to this article. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/ratu-naulago-hull-fc-star-2881335.amp

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I think Barrie McDermott would struggle to give the 'young' tag to a 27-year-old, even if he played for Leeds.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

10 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Just read the article.  It mentions the 5 in the intro with Naulago instead of Newman and then later goes on to describe Newman's season as though he is in the list.  Just a little bit confusing.

6 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Or we could give them a chance now and go in to two important years with a larger pool of more experienced international players. 

Of course we could, but as you have already said, they are not yet complete players and have a lot to learn in their individual positions.  These players will be better and more more experienced in next years international window and (hopefully) better again in two years for the World Cup.  When they are the best players in their position they should be selected.

I am of the belief that for each international you pick your best available side and create a winning culture into which you can bring new (younger) players when they have proved themselves to be the best choice.  In order to facilitate their development you create the performance squads and the Knights so they can work with international coaches and learn from senior players.

My personal opinion is throwing the young players in this list into the full international arena before they are ready is counterproductive.

I am happy that you have a different opinion.

Archived