Little York - can they do it?

2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Certainly proved they can compete.  Certainly proved they can play for 80 minutes.

They believe they can.  Watch them play and their absolutely fizzing with enthusiasm.  Ford has them playing for each other with a passion.

It's possible.

They did beat the twp in the league one play offs (Torontos first year)

Yes the twp is a different team but nonetheless York can pull out an upset when they need one!

They certainly have a chance but I fear the play-offs might be a step too far after the efforts they've made through the season. They have every chance of making the final though and I wouldn't be surprised to see them there.

They have a tough trip to Toulouse though and if they lose will have to probably go back there should they manage to negotiate beating Leigh or Fev. 

Toulouse must be the favourites to get to the final but I could see any of the four making it. 

I can't see past Toronto for promotion though.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

1 minute ago, TboneFromTO said:

They did beat the twp in the league one play offs (Torontos first year)

Yes the twp is a different team but nonetheless York can pull out an upset when they need one!

That was in the league wasn't it. TWP went up automatically. Still a good result though at the time. 

3736-mipm.gif

2 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

That was in the league wasn't it. TWP went up automatically. Still a good result though at the time. 

It was the first round of the "Super 8s" play off structure.

Top 8 played eachother once more.

I remember telling my wife while in the stadium "lose the first game of the playoffs - they really are a Toronto team"

3 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

It was the first round of the "Super 8s" play off structure.

Top 8 played eachother once more.

I remember telling my wife while in the stadium "lose the first game of the playoffs - they really are a Toronto team"

Ah yes, forgot it was that system. TWP were basically already up by the time the Super 8's came around though weren't they. 

3736-mipm.gif

1 minute ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Ah yes, forgot it was that system. TWP were basically already up by the time the Super 8's came around though weren't they. 

Oh yeah they were miles ahead I think it was a sure thing.

Still made me grumpy for the trip haha

York a city that population of 210,000. A solid base of around 2,500 fans with great potential for more, add to this a new stadium with 8k capacity. 

Its definitely a city that will attract away fans for a day out too. They even have a womans team. 

For me they tick alot of boxes and have huge potential. 

11 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

They've been written off all year - but they are still in there.

Good luck to them.

Have they? Who’s been writing them off? 

Genuinely curious. 

They’re the 3rd strongest team after Toronto and Toulouse and rightly sit where they are in the table. I wouldn’t be surprised if they beat Toulouse but can’t see them beating Toronto 

26 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

You don't need a visa to go to France mate 

Yet.

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry no feelings left

This species has amused itself to death

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Have they? Who’s been writing them off? 

Genuinely curious. 

It’s an impression gained from the weekly Championship threads. It seemed that plenty of people kept tipping them to lose! It seemed like quite a few people expected the bubble to burst - but it never did.

FWIW I think they won’t get promoted, and I don’t think they are ready yet. But the potential is definitely there for the future.

44 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

It’s an impression gained from the weekly Championship threads. It seemed that plenty of people kept tipping them to lose! It seemed like quite a few people expected the bubble to burst - but it never did.

FWIW I think they won’t get promoted, and I don’t think they are ready yet. But the potential is definitely there for the future.

Fair dos, can’t say I followed that. 

They probably have overachieved this year, I’d have thought they’d be in and around the Bradford/Sheffield position pushing for play offs, at the start of the season. And Halifax are the side who have probably underachieved. 

York’s early season game against Toronto showed they meant business. Their results since then haven’t really surprised me. I think they’ll make the final but don’t see them beating Toronto 

Although its great we are in the playoffs and have had a great year I personally as a York fan don't see us having enough as a part-time team doing it but talking to the players they are going to go out and give it a shot and see what happens. That's when we have been at our most dangerous we have done the double over, Bradford, Leigh, Halifax, Widnes, Dewsbury, Swinton, Barrow and Rochdale and beat Sheffield and Featherstone once. We ran Toronto close the 1st game of the season and Toulouse on both occasions close too. We will definitely need lady luck to play her part especially away at Toronto but we are capable of matching and beating the other sides. Regardless of what happens in the next month we have had a fantastic season and heads well and truly held up high. Bring on the playoffs!

14 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Fair dos, can’t say I followed that. 

They probably have overachieved this year, I’d have thought they’d be in and around the Bradford/Sheffield position pushing for play offs, at the start of the season. And Halifax are the side who have probably underachieved. 

York’s early season game against Toronto showed they meant business. Their results since then haven’t really surprised me. I think they’ll make the final but don’t see them beating Toronto 

Yes  I though similar, position wise. 

They are a patient team also.  Ford has them building pressure and they have a good kicker.  

I see TO as more if a threat than TWP.  Great division to keep track of this year though.

I think it'll be better for the club if they stay in the Championship next season. They've won some new fans over who are more likely to go watch a winning side. Keep building and if they can get average to a consistent 3 or 4k it will be the right time to make the jump and hopefully can compete with the lower end of SL to be a sustainable club. 

How exciting would these play-offs be if there wasn't a run away leader. 

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

They are a patient team also.  Ford has them building pressure and they have a good kicker.  

Spot on. I've sat through enough of James's iPad tactical insights to know they leave no stone unturned. Game plan based on kicking to the corners, boxing teams in and being tough in the middle. They don't go away.

3736-mipm.gif

Archived