Sun 15 Sept: Championship - Elimination Play-off: Leigh Centurions v Featherstone Rovers KO 6.30pm (TV)

Who will win?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leigh Centurions
    • Featherstone Rovers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/09/19 at 17:30

23 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Imagine an Away win in the play-off’s and you’re just going on about how you wouldn’t be allowed promotion despite no actual facts to back that up? 

That’s so very Rugby League. No enjoying your win, no talking up the performers on the night or the coach, no looking ahead to the next game, no excitement at the prospect of promotion, just the same old negative rubbish. 

In fairness that's literally one or two posters. I don't think they are at all representative of most Fev fans, who are generally just overjoyed at a great performance and thrilled that we seem to have impressed so many people in this game.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

In all fairness fev don't need an acadamy, they get all those benefits supplied by Leeds. Fev are playing within the rules and exploiting the resources Leeds supply. Fev should not be penalised for this, they have broken no rules and should be promoted.

If anyone needs to shoulder any blame it should be the architects of the dual reg system.

You mean Hetherington !

It was his proposal that was put to the RFL and he who then persuaded enough other clubs to back his proposal at that time. Slowly but surely these clubs that originally backed him then realized tht it was a bad idea and hence why they then backed the return of a Reserves league.

Leeds don't have enough depth & quality to be able to run a reserves team and a full academy set-up as well as provide Fev with the players they have been doing over recent years. If Fev get promoted the SL money will enable them to fill that gap, if they don't then I think they will really struggle without being able to call on these players.

If they do win the Championship GF then good luck to them, they'll probably bring more away fans than London or Catalans do

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

10 hours ago, Cardypaul said:

Thought we were outstanding today especially the forwards who gave the half backs so much room to play. 

A bit early to talk about winning the playoffs but sure are going to enjoy the ride.

One last thing well done to the officials today thought they got most decisions right and really let the game flow.

Infuriating that. We couldn't even blame them! Fev were the better team by some distance and, with all respect to a very good York team, I believe Fev are best equipped to give Toulouse and Toronto something to think about.

5 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Leeds don't have enough depth & quality to be able to run a reserves team and a full academy set-up as well as provide Fev with the players they have been doing over recent years. If Fev get promoted the SL money will enable them to fill that gap, if they don't then I think they will really struggle without being able to call on these players.

I'm pretty sure Fev will be able to use DR pretty much the same way next season as this, assuming they don't get promoted. If, say, Ash Golding and Alex Sutcliffe are still at Leeds next year (and they are both under contract), I don't see them turning out 20 times for the reserves somehow.

12 hours ago, JohnM said:

What evidence is available to support this?

Wait and see what happens at York next week for evidence. 

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

19 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I'm pretty sure Fev will be able to use DR pretty much the same way next season as this, assuming they don't get promoted. If, say, Ash Golding and Alex Sutcliffe are still at Leeds next year (and they are both under contract), I don't see them turning out 20 times for the reserves somehow.

Leeds clearly don't want Ash Golding he plays out of his skin for Fev week in week out but can't get a start at Headngley.  Last night's win was engineered by hard work from the likes of Jonnie D and Choo Choo Cooper.  Finesse was supplied by Dane Chisholm, none of whom are Leeds DR players.  We played well last night.  There were rumours beforehand of a gastric problem at Leigh, could explain their lack lustre performance.  I thought Brown played well. Let down by his half back partner Brierley who is and always has been vastly over rated.  In his first spell at Leigh he got the credit that should have gone to Ridyard who is a class act.  Brierley couldn't get rid of the ball sharp enough. His one contribution to Leigh was to fake falling over a Fev tackler at the PTB, thus providing a penalty.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

12 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

On this showing the fev/Leeds reserves look a very good bet to get to the grand final and then win it.

Toronto beware !

Expansionist start to worry !

I joked earlier that with the number of Leeds players in the Fev ranks they could well emulate their mother club and win the comp from 5th place, now what's the old saying "there's many a true word spoken in jest"!

Witnessing the performance of Fev last night from a a high point at the back of the sticks, a vantage point that I believe to be far more revealing (to the well trained eye) than the adjacent view that the TV cameras broadcast, it was a pleasure to witness - even for a Leigh fan - the offensive lines that Fev ran and the enthusiasm they displayed in defence, their kick chase was as good as I have seen for a long long time reminiscent of watching a top NRL game and the speed they excuted the play the ball was difficult to compete with.

This performance by Fev was by far the best I have watched live by any team this season and I have seen all but 3 of Leigh's games and also been to a number of SL matches, I know the Leigh team could have performed to a better standard but that would only be taking away from Fev's dominance which they played for earned and got.

I honestly believe on this form - which they must not deviate from - they can make the final, and of all the teams who have visited Toronto they know how to play there, they get into the faces of the "Canadians" (irony) and they are big enough, fast enough and young enough (in the main) to run down some of the older (in the main) Toronto player's.

Like I said at the beginning I joked about it, but a result in the final could really become a reality for Fev.

I like Fev, I like going to Fev, I like the Fev fan's, I have never felt intimidated or threatened when visiting and I have been in the pubs before and after games even when Leigh have won and have never ever recieved any animosity at all, I can Identify with the Fev club it is a lot like my own in many respects the communities are similar brought up on the coal industry, therefore for the rest of this comp and always liking a connection to lend my support to a team I will fervently become a Fev supporter whoever they play, and hope they can go all the way and get the job done.

34 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

You mean Hetherington !

It was his proposal that was put to the RFL and he who then persuaded enough other clubs to back his proposal at that time. Slowly but surely these clubs that originally backed him then realized tht it was a bad idea and hence why they then backed the return of a Reserves league.

If they do win the Championship GF then good luck to them, they'll probably bring more away fans than London or Catalans do

funny thing is FEV voted against DR  and now use it  and other championship clubs who voted it in don't 

9 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Leeds clearly don't want Ash Golding he plays out of his skin for Fev week in week out but can't get a start at Headngley.  Last night's win was engineered by hard work from the likes of Jonnie D and Choo Choo Cooper.  Finesse was supplied by Dane Chisholm, none of whom are Leeds DR players.  We played well last night.  There were rumours beforehand of a gastric problem at Leigh, could explain their lack lustre performance.  I thought Brown played well. Let down by his half back partner Brierley who is and always has been vastly over rated.  In his first spell at Leigh he got the credit that should have gone to Ridyard who is a class act.  Brierley couldn't get rid of the ball sharp enough. His one contribution to Leigh was to fake falling over a Fev tackler at the PTB, thus providing a penalty.

Trojan , Brierly played full back , Josh Woods was the other HB 

5 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Just to correct you Trojan, Brierley played Full Back the half back partner was the - in my opinion - vastly overrated Josh Woods, the lad as all the required skills but he is completely contact avoidance in both attack and defence, and on Brierley he is as much use as button on a sock as a Full Back, we miss Greg McNally more than any other player when he is not on the field he useually has a hand in 70% of the tries Leigh score either right or left hand site when he chimes into the line, for a few weeks now I have become a bit suspect of John Duffy's coaching and selection abilities, dropping McNally does not make me doubt Duffy's attributes any less.

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Just to correct you Trojan, Brierley played Full Back the half back partner was the - in my opinion - vastly overrated Josh Woods, the lad as all the required skills but he is completely contact avoidance in both attack and defence, and on Brierley he is as much use as button on a sock as a Full Back, we miss Greg McNally more than any other player when he is not on the field he useually has a hand in 70% of the tries Leigh score either right or left hand site when he chimes into the line, for a few weeks now I have become a bit suspect of John Duffy's coaching and selection abilities, dropping McNally does not make me doubt Duffy's attributes any less.

But did Duffy really pick the team? 

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

Really enjoyed the game last night and well done Fev! Should be a good game v York next week.

I think the Sunday evening Sky TV slot would be great for Championship or SL in the future. I remember when we had it in the early SL days and always enjoyed it.

As an aside I didn’t realise how many Leeds players Fev had!!  

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

Regarding the Reserve League, it's absolutely going to be a far weaker competition than the Championship. SL Clubs have their hands full paying the 1st Team squads, they will not redirect spending from that to the reserves, same goes for reserve League Clubs from other leagues. 

The best players in the sport outside of the NRL & SL will be in the Championship wether contracted, on loan or on DR. 

7 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

Really enjoyed the game last night and well done Fev! Should be a good game v York next week.

I think the Sunday evening Sky TV slot would be great for Championship or SL in the future. I remember when we had it in the early SL days and always enjoyed it.

It's OK if one is an armchair fan, the attendance at the LSV was somewhat down on what would be expected of this fixture had it been played at the normal time of 3:00 pm I would have expected 1500 more inside the ground, most of the Fev fan's would not have been arriving home till well past 10 o'clock most likely 11 o'clock on a Sunday Night that's not good, and becayse it was televised that took away those who coukd excersize the second option of sitting at home or in the pub, like Thursday nights, this Kick Off time on Sunday's would get the wrath of a club's proper fans in a short time.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

It's OK if one is an armchair fan, the attendance at the LSV was somewhat down on what would be expected of this fixture had it been played at the normal time of 3:00 pm I would have expected 1500 more inside the ground, most of the Fev fan's would not have been arriving home till well past 10 o'clock most likely 11 o'clock on a Sunday Night that's not good, and becayse it was televised that took away those who coukd excersize the second option of sitting at home or in the pub, like Thursday nights, this Kick Off time on Sunday's would get the wrath of a club's proper fans in a short time.

I certainly don't think cross Pennine games should start at this time. The M62 was busy in both directions.  It was after 10-00 when I got home.  The  optimum time from the fans' and the clubs' point of view IMO is 3-00pm on a Sunday afternoon.  Given how many Fev brought, I bet the attendance would have doubled had it been played at sensible time.  But Rupert said "jump" and as usual the RFL said "how high" Leigh & Fev are two of the better supported sides in the Championship, surely their supporters deserve better treatment than this.  And of course an earlier start cuts down of pre match drinking time, a contributory factor (IMO) to trouble.  I believe many Fev fans' coaches left at 11-00 on Sunday morning and they spent the afternoon in one or other of the Leigh hostelries.

Clement Attlee.

27 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

And how many was that?

7 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I certainly don't think cross Pennine games should start at this time. The M62 was busy in both directions.  It was after 10-00 when I got home.  The  optimum time from the fans' and the clubs' point of view IMO is 3-00pm on a Sunday afternoon.  Given how many Fev brought, I bet the attendance would have doubled had it been played at sensible time.  But Rupert said "jump" and as usual the RFL said "how high" Leigh & Fev are two of the better supported sides in the Championship, surely their supporters deserve better treatment than this.  And of course an earlier start cuts down of pre match drinking time, a contributory factor (IMO) to trouble.  I believe many Fev fans' coaches left at 11-00 on Sunday morning and they spent the afternoon in one or other of the Leigh hostelries.

Just a point of totally pedantic order:

Rupert no longer has an interest in Sky.

But the point that he who pays the piper calls the tune still stands.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Reserves and academy is a mandatory requirement from next year. Even if Leeds wanted to continue to provide Fev with DR players I doubt they would have enough depth to be able to do it

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

34 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

By my reckoning there were three.

9 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Just a point of totally pedantic order:

Rupert no longer has an interest in Sky.

But the point that he who pays the piper calls the tune still stands.

Yes I rather suspected he was no longer in charge.  But I dislike him and what he stands for so much, that it's hard to let go ?

Clement Attlee.

Archived