Sun 15 Sept: Championship - Elimination Play-off: Leigh Centurions v Featherstone Rovers KO 6.30pm (TV)

Who will win?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leigh Centurions
    • Featherstone Rovers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/09/19 at 17:30

12 hours ago, DoubleD said:

When the reserves returns next year, where do you think these Leeds juniors will go?

I guess were the club thinks is best for their development, which may well be the championship depending upon the youngsters experience.  Personally I think the championship may offer the higher standard and intensity. The reserves will be a mish-mash of rosters such as players testing their fitness returning from injury, youngsters to gain experience and experienced keeping their match fitness whilst in and out of first team, etc etc..

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely loved this game yesterday and thought Fev were superb. May seem odd for me to have been supporting them but really wanted them to win after Duffy leaving and Beaumont being an absolute tool.

Well done Fev

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

1 minute ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

Absolutely loved this game yesterday and thought Fev were superb. May seem odd for me to have been supporting them but really wanted them to win after Duffy leaving and Beaumont being an absolute tool.

Well done Fev

After wading through some excruciatingly poor "bants" from Shakey Wakey fans about Leeds A and pompous twaddle about Fev's chances of making SL, it's disappointing to see some fair-minded C*s fan failing to follow suit.

Great performance by Fev.  Really hope they can go all the way.

Seems strange to be cheering on Cas and Fev in their respective play-offs.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Just now, marklaspalmas said:

After wading through some excruciatingly poor "bants" from Shakey Wakey fans about Leeds A and pompous twaddle about Fev's chances of making SL, it's disappointing to see some fair-minded C*s fan failing to follow suit.

Sorry, I'm sure it won;t last long!

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

3 minutes ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

Sorry, I'm sure it won;t last long!

Thank God for that.

I was going to respond in spirit by saying something about you beating Wire but having sat through all 427* Cas matches live on SKY this season I just don't see them winning.

*may have been less but that's what it felt like

25 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I'm pretty sure they will.

Not sure how they can.

First team squads are generally around 30 players, they need 19 for a 1st team match day squad so that only leaves around 11 for the reserves team (not accounting for squad injuries of which teams will be carrying several throughout the year). Most teams i'd imagine will back-fill from their academy squad to make up the 17 needed for the reserves.

So unless Leeds significantly increase their squad size they wont have the numbers to be able to provide DR to Fev and maintain all their other squads. Given Hetherington has already moaned endlessly about the cost of running a reserves I seriously doubt he will now go out and spend more to increase their squad size just to help out Fev for DR.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

5 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Thank God for that.

I was going to respond in spirit by saying something about you beating Wire but having sat through all 427* Cas matches live on SKY this season I just don't see them winning.

*may have been less but that's what it felt like

No need mate - we know we'll get beaten then all of our hopes will be put on to York! ?

11 minutes ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

No need mate - we know we'll get beaten then all of our hopes will be put on to York! ?

Fair do's. Ive always rated DP as a coach and as a bloke,  but it's amazing they're in the playoffs in 2019.

York v Fev will be very very interesting. Wide open.

5 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Not sure how they can.

First team squads are generally around 30 players, they need 19 for a 1st team match day squad so that only leaves around 11 for the reserves team (not accounting for squad injuries of which teams will be carrying several throughout the year). Most teams i'd imagine will back-fill from their academy squad to make up the 17 needed for the reserves.

So unless Leeds significantly increase their squad size they wont have the numbers to be able to provide DR to Fev and maintain all their other squads. Given Hetherington has already moaned endlessly about the cost of running a reserves I seriously doubt he will now go out and spend more to increase their squad size just to help out Fev for DR.

I will throw this into the mix. What if, purely hypothetical of course, the majority of the current Fev reserves from 2019 next year are suddenly drafted into being the Leeds reserves, with the addition of 1 or 2 from Leeds, they call themselves Leeds Rhinos Reserves and they play their home games at Post Office Road?

The current Leeds 1st teamers that are on the fringes of the Rhino's 1st team can then continue playing for Fev on DR.

5 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

I will throw this into the mix. What if, purely hypothetical of course, the majority of the current Fev reserves from 2019 next year are suddenly drafted into being the Leeds reserves, with the addition of 1 or 2 from Leeds, they call themselves Leeds Rhinos Reserves and they play their home games at Post Office Road?

The current Leeds 1st teamers that are on the fringes of the Rhino's 1st team can then continue playing for Fev on DR.

All those players would have to be registered as Leeds players and Leeds would still have to pay their wages. If they weren't then none of them could then be called up into the Leeds 1st team to cover for injuries. 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

35 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I guess were the club thinks is best for their development, which may well be the championship depending upon the youngsters experience.  Personally I think the championship may offer the higher standard and intensity. The reserves will be a mish-mash of rosters such as players testing their fitness returning from injury, youngsters to gain experience and experienced keeping their match fitness whilst in and out of first team, etc etc..

And what you describe as the functionality of thr 'A' team is exactly how it has always been, it is one hard place for any youngster to learn his trade and those who come through it to perform at the higher level are that much better for the experience, and what better than to have your own team that those convalescing from injury can perform in under the same coaching, gameplans and strategies as the first teams  much better for the club than being away on DR.

The only drawback I see to having an 'A' team is the effect it could have on the community game, these days for whatever reason the numbers are dwindling, in my day the local pro club had the Colts team which was the under 17's, the 'B' team which was the under 19's (now the Academy) and then the 'A' team or as we now like to label it the reserves.

If I had my way we should re-adopt that system, let the community clubs run the junior league's up to under 16's, then transfer to the pro clubs for the U-17'S performing under and being representative of the pro club, wearing the same kit as the professionals is an enticing prospect for many juniors and could well keep those who may be lost to the game keep playing, then the transition through the teams can be of great benefit to the pro club.

7 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

All those players would have to be registered as Leeds players and Leeds would still have to pay their wages. If they weren't then none of them could then be called up into the Leeds 1st team to cover for injuries. 

but they wouldn't be for the leeds first team DR players would

they would just be there to fulfill leeds obligation to field a reserve team

1 hour ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

Well done Fev

That's very sporting of you considering the Fev fans were still chanting "we hate Cas" last night.  They chant it no  matter who we're playing. Plus one of the Leigh players was ex Cas which didn't help matters. ?

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

10 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And what you describe as the functionality of thr 'A' team is exactly how it has always been, it is one hard place for any youngster to learn his trade and those who come through it to perform at the higher level are that much better for the experience, and what better than to have your own team that those convalescing from injury can perform in under the same coaching, gameplans and strategies as the first teams  much better for the club than being away on DR.

The only drawback I see to having an 'A' team is the effect it could have on the community game, these days for whatever reason the numbers are dwindling, in my day the local pro club had the Colts team which was the under 17's, the 'B' team which was the under 19's (now the Academy) and then the 'A' team or as we now like to label it the reserves.

If I had my way we should re-adopt that system, let the community clubs run the junior league's up to under 16's, then transfer to the pro clubs for the U-17'S performing under and being representative of the pro club, wearing the same kit as the professionals is an enticing prospect for many juniors and could well keep those who may be lost to the game keep playing, then the transition through the teams can be of great benefit to the pro club.

But the "big clubs" circle the U17 clubs like sharks, and snap up anyone who shows any promise. Robby Burrow for instance was signed by Leeds from Fev Lions. Players like him used to sign for their local club.  If they were any good a bigger club would come along and sides like Fev would make a bit of profit on the player.  Doesn't happen now, hence the necessity for DR. Luke Briscoe played for Fev as a Fev player, but because of the DR arrangements, Leeds got him for nowt.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1 minute ago, Trojan said:

That's very sporting of you considering the Fev fans were still chanting "we hate Cas" last night.  They chant it no  matter who we're playing. Plus one of the Leigh players was ex Cas which didn't help matters. ?

all banter and I'm sure there were many Cas fans wanting Leigh to win as they just can't support Fev whatever - I like to think I'm a bit more fair minded than that! Yorkshire > Lancashire at the end of the day!

6 minutes ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

all banter and I'm sure there were many Cas fans wanting Leigh to win as they just can't support Fev whatever - I like to think I'm a bit more fair minded than that! Yorkshire > Lancashire at the end of the day!

I remember cheering Cas on at Headingley in 2007 against Widnes (I was there.)  And in 1994 against the pies. (I cheer anyone against the pies)

Clement Attlee.

15 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

The game can be grown with both options. 

Oh I agree, mate. Big fan of what Toronto have done and are doing for the sport, but I also think teams like us and similar sized clubs outside the SL still have a lot to offer.

2 minutes ago, hrtbps said:

Oh I agree, mate. Big fan of what Toronto have done and are doing for the sport, but I also think teams like us and similar sized clubs outside the SL still have a lot to offer.

You will always be the heart and soul of the game...you are our great strength.

2 hours ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

Well done Fev

How good would twice yearly competitive Cas-Fev derbies in the SL be though? I've got loads of Cas supporting pals and traditional boxing day fixture isn't enough for me.

3 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Reserves and academy is a mandatory requirement from next year. Even if Leeds wanted to continue to provide Fev with DR players I doubt they would have enough depth to be able to do it

But if Leeds are paying a young fringe 1st teamer £2.5k per month, and Fev come along and say we will pay you £1.5k per month for a 6 month loan, pretty sure they'll send the player to fev rather than the reserves......

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

You will always be the heart and soul of the game...you are our great strength.

You can be such a tart at times K'man, someone blows you a kiss and you stand there flashing your eyelids at them!

Don't think you can get around them that way with sweet words they will be a coming to roll you over in the final, don't say I didn't warn you.

Archived