Sat 14 Sept: Championship Qualifying Play-off: Toulouse Olympique v York City Knights KO 2pm (OurLeague App)

Who will win?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Toulouse Olympique
    • York City Knights

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/09/19 at 13:30

4 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

My sympathies, gavin7094!  It seems odd to me that there is a constant referral back to regular season places.  Without that, York victory in Toulouse followed by defeat in Toronto would, indeed, have seen you play Toulouse again, if they won match D, but this time in York. 

I agree.  I accept that finishing higher in the league must be rewarded.  TO's reward is a home tie and a second chance.  Fair enough. However, should York win that then shouldn't Toulouse lose the home advantage?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, gavin7094 said:

I agree.  I accept that finishing higher in the league must be rewarded.  TO's reward is a home tie and a second chance.  Fair enough. However, should York win that then shouldn't Toulouse lose the home advantage?

Yes they do - return fixture would be in York if that's how the rest of the qualifiers pan out. 

This is the format that used to be used in SL; always thought it was the best format for the play offs. Much better than the 6s or the 8s format as it better rewards finishing top and is a right lick out for those teams in 4/5 to get through to the final.

Just now, GeordieSaint said:

Yes they do - return fixture would be in York if that's how the rest of the qualifiers pan out. 

Do they? I thought the higher seeded team always played at home - read it some where (can't remember where) and that's why Toronto are able to guarantee 3 home games in a row regardless of who they play (could be York Toulouse York even!)

12 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

This is the format that used to be used in SL; always thought it was the best format for the play offs. Much better than the 6s or the 8s format as it better rewards finishing top and is a right lick out for those teams in 4/5 to get through to the final.

That's not what I understood, though I'm happy to be proved wrong.  Do you have an authoritative reference for this info. please? 

38 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

No your wrong, the higher placed team will always have home advantage, no matter what, thats why the Knights will go to either Toronto or Toulouse but they wont have to travel to England.

9 minutes ago, spanishknight said:

No your wrong, the higher placed team will always have home advantage, no matter what, thats why the Knights will go to either Toronto or Toulouse but they wont have to travel to England.

Apologises if I am then. Following the RFL schematic on possible routes; states the Game E home team is the Loser of the Game D Toronto/ANO (same model for SL I think). They must have changed their mind since they implemented the actual structure.

imagesource.jpg

32 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Apologises if I am then. Following the RFL schematic on possible routes; states the Game E home team is the Loser of the Game D Toronto/ANO (same model for SL I think). They must have changed their mind since they implemented the actual structure.

imagesource.jpg

If York win then lose I hope you're right and I'm wrong (for York's sake)

And your info looks pretty legit!

41 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

If York win then lose I hope you're right and I'm wrong (for York's sake)

And your info looks pretty legit!

Nope, the home advantage is given to the team that finished higher in the normal league. It's good for TO but I don't agree with it, but I'm not sure how you would do it otherwise. You lose and have your next game away?  is the only other way.

26 minutes ago, kiggy said:

Nope, the home advantage is given to the team that finished higher in the normal league. It's good for TO but I don't agree with it, but I'm not sure how you would do it otherwise. You lose and have your next game away?  is the only other way.

Well that's what I thought too, but the rfl website says below, which supports  not always having home field advantage

Screenshot_20190911-190258.png

7 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

Well that's what I thought too, but the rfl website says below, which supports  not always having home field advantage

http://secure.rugby-league.com/ign_docs/2020 League Structure.pdf

read the tiny tiny small print *All Play Off games will be played at the ground of the highest ranked team. With ranking decided by league position at the end of the Regular Season

29 minutes ago, kiggy said:

http://secure.rugby-league.com/ign_docs/2020 League Structure.pdf

read the tiny tiny small print *All Play Off games will be played at the ground of the highest ranked team. With ranking decided by league position at the end of the Regular Season

Thanks - had missed that. Is it applicable to SL as well?

Definitely a change to the last iteration of Top 5 playoffs and not a good one IMO.

19 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Definitely a change to the last iteration of Top 5 playoffs and not a good one IMO.

It's ridiculous. If a team wins away they should take home advantage from the other team should they meet again. 

Repeat fixtures are the worst thing about this format, which could be somewhat tempered by reversing the home/away aspect if the away team won the first game.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

20 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Remember back around 2000 Widnes won at Hunslet, lost at Dewsbury and then had to go back to Hunslet.

Where we lost!!!

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

13 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

It's ridiculous. If a team wins away they should take home advantage from the other team should they meet again. 

Repeat fixtures are the worst thing about this format, which could be somewhat tempered by reversing the home/away aspect if the away team won the first game.

Agreed. Even though I'm a Wolfpack supporter I don't think the team should host the final if they lose the semi final but then win the preliminary final.

I wouldn't be surprised if both teams were happy with a loss here. Nobody wants to go to Toronto twice in a couple of weeks and I wouldn't want to go there, get pumped and then have to come back against a fired up Toulouse/York/Fev/Leigh.

York in particular are probably better off losing here and preparing for Leigh or Fev at home then having a proper crack at Toulouse (should they beat Leigh/Fev) after they've been to Toronto.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

1 hour ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I wouldn't be surprised if both teams were happy with a loss here. Nobody wants to go to Toronto twice in a couple of weeks and I wouldn't want to go there, get pumped and then have to come back against a fired up Toulouse/York/Fev/Leigh.

York in particular are probably better off losing here and preparing for Leigh or Fev at home then having a proper crack at Toulouse (should they beat Leigh/Fev) after they've been to Toronto.

I'd prefer us to win all our play-off games. 

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

I give the RFL a fair bit of stick, but if I were an RFL employee reading this thread I would be incredulous at the whingeing.

After years of moans about it being important to reward performance during the league season, everyone now wants to overturn the league placings to help 'Little York' during the playoff series.

This is the right format and it will be a great series.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Archived