Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Phantom Horseman

Match Thread Leigh Centurions v Featherstone Rovers Sunday 15th September 2019

Recommended Posts

So, we've reached the play-offs. Leigh v Fev is a game both teams will see as winnable and it could be down to which team still has the fire burning and which has mentally put the cue on the rack.

The Batley and Toulouse games showed the massive difference between breaking down an ordinary defence and a committed one in this league, we lacked a bit of imagination and all four of our tries (well the awarded ones) were solo efforts really.

The other thing the Toulouse game highlighted was how important it is not to give away cheap field position. Toulouse's five tries came from two attempted offloads inside our own 35m, two penalties that piggy-backed them downfield, and one poorly-executed play a yard from our own line that led to a drop out. As flamboyant a side as Toulouse are, they weren't marching downfield and scoring from sets started in their own 20, the difference was they looked much more dangerous than us in good ball. The team that wins at this level tends to be the team that gets most sets that start inside the opponents' half.

Remains to be seen if we can patch up all of our battered pack from Sunday, with King, Cooper and Day all suffering injuries in the Toulouse game. The upside is although Leigh have made a number of relatively high-profile signings or re-signings in recent months (Brown, Brierley, Sa'u, Thompson, Paterson, Clark, Forsyth, Higson and Reynolds) their performances don't seem to have improved.

A difficult game to predict, but aren't they all? (or nearly all).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

simple if we play like we did for first 30 mins saturday we win if we play like we did the next forty mins we lose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, POR said:

simple if we play like we did for first 30 mins saturday we win if we play like we did the next forty mins we lose

And if the referee lets us score from our flowing football attempts then added to individual efforts we could be alright. Leigh are a top side and recent form will mean nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

King, Coops and Day all injured v Toulouse though I have no info if any/all will be available.

Jackie O definitely not playing. Got a two match ban for his assessment of the referee's eyesight.

Bit thin in the forwards unless those lads can get patched up.

Still fancy us. We've a couple of good games left in us yet in 2019.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

King, Coops and Day all injured v Toulouse though I have no info if any/all will be available.

Jackie O definitely not playing. Got a two match ban for his assessment of the referee's eyesight.

Bit thin in the forwards unless those lads can get patched up.

Still fancy us. We've a couple of good games left in us yet in 2019.

agreed but both of them were interviewed after the game foe rovers tv so would have thought if injured they would be having treatment instead of posing in front of camera

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

King, Coops and Day all injured v Toulouse though I have no info if any/all will be available.

Jackie O definitely not playing. Got a two match ban for his assessment of the referee's eyesight.

Bit thin in the forwards unless those lads can get patched up.

Still fancy us. We've a couple of good games left in us yet in 2019.

I've been saying for months that I predicted this season would end up like 2009, in which we scraped into the play-offs then outclassed first Sheffield and then Widnes away from home before just losing away at Halifax in the semi. That was a most enjoyable season and a sign of better things to come. A repeat of that will do for me!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sponsors' odds to win the Championship Grand Final are quite interesting.

Toronto 2-7
Toulouse 9-2
Leigh 10-1
York 10-1
Fev 33-1

At first glance you might think we are an attractive price, but basically that's a 4-leg accumulator. We are generally 2-1 to win this weekend, and if you price up our likely remaining games (if they go according to "form") you'd be hard pressed to say 33s is overpriced - let's say we would be 4-5 to win at York, then 6-4 to win in Toulouse and 2-1 to win in Toronto (all of which could be seen as stingy), that would still come out at 39.5-1. Of course, if you think we are more like an even money chance to beat Leigh, the 33-1 doesn't look so bad.

But Leigh and York's prices look even stingier, pricing Leigh up the same price as us to win in York, Toulouse and Toronto after beating us would be just over 19-1. York's odds are slightly more complicated as they could reduce their task to 3 games if they win in Toulouse, but 10-1 still doesn't look generous.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

King clearly a big loss. Whether there's intent to play Bussey or not we'll have to see.

Leigh generally around 2-5 and we are 2-1 with the bookies. Think we have a better chance than those odds suggest, but no surprise to see Leigh hot favourites at home.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

King clearly a big loss. Whether there's intent to play Bussey or not we'll have to see.

If you assume that Maskill missess out that would leave 8 backs and it has been rare when we have had a back on the bench, so you would also assume that a back misses out. Therefore there is a good chance that Bussey will play.

I know assume makes and "ass" out of "u" and "me" 🙂


I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

simple maskill and render miss out busey on the bench if either FEV or leigh are winning easy then he keeps the bench warm if it's close in the last quarter you bring him  on to try to weave some magic and win the game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like your thinking, but around 8.30 on Sunday all will be revealed ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been a great season for both sides, whatever happens tomorrow. This time last year we were both preparing for the plate competition, and now, we both have a chance of facing York to determine who plays the losers of Toronto v Toulouse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/09/2019 at 20:23, The Phantom Horseman said:

So, we've reached the play-offs. Leigh v Fev is a game both teams will see as winnable and it could be down to which team still has the fire burning and which has mentally put the cue on the rack.

The Batley and Toulouse games showed the massive difference between breaking down an ordinary defence and a committed one in this league, we lacked a bit of imagination and all four of our tries (well the awarded ones) were solo efforts really.

The other thing the Toulouse game highlighted was how important it is not to give away cheap field position. Toulouse's five tries came from two attempted offloads inside our own 35m, two penalties that piggy-backed them downfield, and one poorly-executed play a yard from our own line that led to a drop out. As flamboyant a side as Toulouse are, they weren't marching downfield and scoring from sets started in their own 20, the difference was they looked much more dangerous than us in good ball. The team that wins at this level tends to be the team that gets most sets that start inside the opponents' half.

Remains to be seen if we can patch up all of our battered pack from Sunday, with King, Cooper and Day all suffering injuries in the Toulouse game. The upside is although Leigh have made a number of relatively high-profile signings or re-signings in recent months (Brown, Brierley, Sa'u, Thompson, Paterson, Clark, Forsyth, Higson and Reynolds) their performances don't seem to have improved.

A difficult game to predict, but aren't they all? (or nearly all).

Best of luck for the playoffs, and I hope you go on to win the comp. You can start by shoving it up the Lankies today. 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

 

George Bernard Shaw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fev1983 said:

does anybody no if we have to sit in south stand I'd rather sit on the side? thanks in advance 

Just ask for a west stand ticket south side -  blocks A B C or D. If you try  https://www.venuetoolbox.com/LeighSportsVillage/ASP/selectArea.asp?bookEvent=true&eventID={F5B240E0-3F3B-4A3D-BB0D-32F364AC3ED2}&homeArea=home you should be able to collect at the ticket office later and avoid any queue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Just ask for a west stand ticket south side -  blocks A B C or D. If you try  https://www.venuetoolbox.com/LeighSportsVillage/ASP/selectArea.asp?bookEvent=true&eventID={F5B240E0-3F3B-4A3D-BB0D-32F364AC3ED2}&homeArea=home you should be able to collect at the ticket office later and avoid any queue

Thank you craig I got a couple in section D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...