Match Thread Leigh Centurions v Featherstone Rovers Sunday 15th September 2019

The Phantom Horseman

Enjoyed every minute of the game, solid team performance from Fev, proud of the lads.

The look on Ryan Brierleys face ???...............need I say more

Im Fev and im proud

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

Fantastic victory, well done Rovers!

A great defensive performance. Would be wrong to pick a man of the match, IMO due to the fact that every player gave their all and there were many, many outstanding performances.

Leigh appeared to be a team made up of, in some cases, overweight, unfit and "has been" players.

There've been a lot of snide comments about DR on the main forum, calling us Junior Rhinos and Leeds A, but last night's victory IMO was built on a sound defensive performance from our pack, Davis, Lockwood, Cooper etc, and some excellent play from Chissy.  Ok the Leeds lads contributed, but without the dominance of the pack and Chissy's distribution I don't reckon we'd have won.

On to York.  We beat them at P O Road, we beat them at Blackpool, and we beat them at their place the other week, except the ref decided differently.  They got hammered by Toulouse, a team who let's be charitable and say we were unlucky to lose to on the 7th, On last night's performance York shouldn't be a problem.  Famous last words!

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

52 minutes ago, Trojan said:

There've been a lot of snide comments about DR on the main forum, calling us Junior Rhinos and Leeds A, but last night's victory IMO was built on a sound defensive performance from our pack, Davis, Lockwood, Cooper etc, and some excellent play from Chissy.  Ok the Leeds lads contributed, but without the dominance of the pack and Chissy's distribution I don't reckon we'd have won.

On to York.  We beat them at P O Road, we beat them at Blackpool, and we beat them at their place the other week, except the ref decided differently.  They got hammered by Toulouse, a team who let's be charitable and say we were unlucky to lose to on the 7th, On last night's performance York shouldn't be a problem.  Famous last words!

I hope those comments don't come back and bite you???

48 minutes ago, georgeb1 said:

I hope those comments don't come back and bite you???

If York beat us fair and square on Saturday you won't hear another word from me.  Fair and square mind. Like we beat Leigh last night.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

10 hours ago, Maureen T-k said:

Enjoyed every minute of the game, solid team performance from Fev, proud of the lads.

The look on Ryan Brierleys face ???...............need I say more

After years of Brierley/McNally and co rubbing it in our fans' faces after they scored, sticking tongues out/throwing the ball into the crowd etc, I must admit I enjoyed watching our lads celebrating with great enthusiasm every time they scored in front of the North Stand in that first half.

Congrats to fev played the game better last night defended well specially when Leigh got there backs up from there first try. 

Dont know why Duffy dropped McNally surely brierley and brown been better in halves together will never know.

watching chizzy reminded me at watching him at Bradford can be lazy defensively not his job but that leaves gaps other people have to fill in.

when he needed to ball in hand he turned it up a gear there was a period where he turned it on and that sealed the game. Barrie said on commentary that the candidates got picked to early has the list 5 minutes chizzy has sealed it. You think if he played for longer periods he'd be top end super league only thing I always thought he lacked was been bothered for a full game.

5 minutes ago, Bullmania said:

watching chizzy reminded me at watching him at Bradford can be lazy defensively not his job but that leaves gaps other people have to fill in.

when he needed to ball in hand he turned it up a gear there was a period where he turned it on and that sealed the game. Barrie said on commentary that the candidates got picked to early has the list 5 minutes chizzy has sealed it. You think if he played for longer periods he'd be top end super league only thing I always thought he lacked was been bothered for a full game.

We all know that defence is the weak part of his game and he sometimes gambles jumping out of the line, but I thought he defended really well yesterday in general, produced some crucial tackles and also got back to collect the ball when Brierley broke through with the kick-and-chase in the 1st half.

Like almost any half back he can sometimes drift out of a game but he has done so many really exceptional things for us this year...there are some halves in this division who might only make one or two clean breaks a season and we're disappointed if Chisholm doesn't make two in a game. Add to that the fact that Day and Sutcliffe have become try machines down that left edge since he joined us, that's no coincidence for sure.

19 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

1 min 15s in.......

Irish U16 lad straight after is a fair old effort as well.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Definitely not a criticism of chizzy he was also the best signing we had made. I'm still bitter we let him go to a rival and if there was a criticism it would be let's be fair if he showed his full potential hes way better than both our teams. And above championship level he's never played to his full potential I believe maybe has you get further and games get tighter in your play off match it might bring it out off him more.

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

After years of Brierley/McNally and co rubbing it in our fans' faces after they scored, sticking tongues out/throwing the ball into the crowd etc, I must admit I enjoyed watching our lads celebrating with great enthusiasm every time they scored in front of the North Stand in that first half.

this

3 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

The first time I saw Brierley play was at LSV in the cup, during the brief reign of John Bastion, he scored Leigh's first try at the Fev end and flung the ball with real force at the Fev supporters, I believe he actually hurt someone.  I was glad to see him humiliated last night, anxious at every KO to get rid ASAP.  As I posted elsewhere, he got all the credit at Leigh when it was Ridyard who was really doing the business.  Excellent player Ridyard, Brierley IMO is the most over rated player I've seen recently.

Clement Attlee.

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Some interesting stats from the game, other than the only one that really matters, the final score: (Leigh figure 1st)

Metres - 1239  882

Carries - 167  143

Tackles - 288  337

Offloads - 8  11

Penalties - 8  10

Breaks - 7  2

I'd question some of those RFL stats. League Express had the penalty count as 5-6 and League Weekly 4-4, I'm sure there weren't 18 penalties altogether. And as for breaks...for me we had far more clean breaks than them (indeed most of our tries we sliced them right open) whereas they barely had any from memory.

2 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I'd question some of those RFL stats. League Express had the penalty count as 5-6 and League Weekly 4-4, I'm sure there weren't 18 penalties altogether. And as for breaks...for me we had far more clean breaks than them (indeed most of our tries we sliced them right open) whereas they barely had any from memory.

Leigh website showing penalties as 5-4  but as I said only one that actually matters......

im waiting to see a nice message that doesnt blame the ref if you lose or call the opposition team if you win.so will the ref get it this week or the week after.my guess is you will beat york this week and then have the worst ref in the history of rugby league  in toulouse

Archived