Bordeaux women. ?

Lowdesert

Could this generate a male team? 

Bordeaux is one of my favourite places.

Bordeaux join women’s ranks

A team linked with the top flight Girondins de Bordeaux football club will enter the French Women’s Elite 1 rugby league Championship. Behind the project is Charlotte Campanella. She said: “A lot of players of very good level and already having a solid track record work on Bordeaux. And they want to be able to play rugby league and transmit their experience in an ambitious club. If we want to grow this club, promote the XIII on the city of Bordeaux, train young people and supervise them properly, it takes resources. If it is clearly a question of “being crowned champions of France in the very short term”, the strategy is rather to do “things in stages.”

2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Could this generate a male team? 

Bordeaux is one of my favourite places.

Bordeaux join women’s ranks

A team linked with the top flight Girondins de Bordeaux football club will enter the French Women’s Elite 1 rugby league Championship. Behind the project is Charlotte Campanella. She said: “A lot of players of very good level and already having a solid track record work on Bordeaux. And they want to be able to play rugby league and transmit their experience in an ambitious club. If we want to grow this club, promote the XIII on the city of Bordeaux, train young people and supervise them properly, it takes resources. If it is clearly a question of “being crowned champions of France in the very short term”, the strategy is rather to do “things in stages.”

If they have a team name as good as the goddesses I'm all for it 

7 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

If they have a team name as good as the goddesses I'm all for it 

Looking at the league they'll have some travelling to do.

I hear Toulon have had a refresh and are aiming for Elite 1 as well.  

Not that I've done it for some time, but better than hallocking across the M62 on a friday night.

Bordeaux had a team in the early days of French RL in the 1930s and competed with some success.  They were runners-up to Villeneuve in the inaugural 1934-35 season, and then lost, 14-25, in the '35-36 final to XIII Catalan.  They turned the tables the following season, defeating XIII Catalan in the final, 23-10.

An intriguing feature of both those finals was that they were refereed by Yorkshire officials, Mr Dobson of Featherstone in the first, and Mr Peel of Bradford in the second.  I wonder how they travelled and how long it took them!

Bordeaux continued to perform well, but with no league title success, in the remaining times before the Vichy government ban.

21 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Not that I've done it for some time, but better than hallocking across the M62 on a friday night.

Are you talking about the Toulon mens team? They've now got Justin Murphy as their coach so that's an obvious sign of intent

Bordeaux XIII was Top league french champions in 1938 and 1954 (men).

They were in Top league until 1975.

Girondins de Bordeaux Rugby League have played in League One (men) in 1996,1997 and 2007 (very difficult to survive).

From 2014 they have merged with Biganos (near Arcachon) to play in Top League (women), and were four times champions.

This year, they play as Girondins women, and try to revive rugby league in this big town.

Rugby League was a mayor sport in Bordeaux before and after WW2, with big attendances for Bordeaux XIII and french national team until 1960 (numerous test matchs with full house, about 30 000) .

15 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

14 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Are you talking about the Toulon mens team? They've now got Justin Murphy as their coach so that's an obvious sign of intent

Toulon XIII Metropole Marlins as they are now known. Catchy isn’t it?

Archived