2019 Championship Attendances Are In

RayCee

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Difficult to compare from last year as Widnes, Bradford and York all have a bigger following both home and away than London for example.

I’m glad someone was able to say something negative so quickly in the thread to dampen the good news; but if you actually look, every team that was in the division in both 2018 and 2019 also saw an increase, other than Fev who’s average reduced by a mere 12. Ok away fans may account for some of that but not all of it. 

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’m glad someone was able to say something negative so quickly in the thread to dampen the good news; but if you actually look, every team that was in the division in both 2018 and 2019 also saw an increase, other than Fev who’s average reduced by a mere 12. Ok away fans may account for some of that but not all of it. 

Leigh's dropped by a couple of hundred , but expectations last year were higher at the start with considerable investment , probably resulting in more ST sales , this year expectations were low , but we are still happy ( within reason ) with this years turnout 

22 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Leigh's dropped by a couple of hundred , but expectations last year were higher at the start with considerable investment , probably resulting in more ST sales , this year expectations were low , but we are still happy ( within reason ) with this years turnout 

Oh yeah sorry I hadn’t noticed Leigh’s. 

If you consider Leigh is a town of around 50,000 people with Wigan on your doorstep along with all the NW football clubs, a 3,000+ average crowd is pretty impressive, even if it has reduced slightly. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Negative? Its a fact! Bradford,Widnes and York have good away followings compared to London. Of course that influences Crowd levels. But if you want to Think that a Big increase in people watching Championship games happened, then keep on dreaming.

Just now, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Negative? Its a fact! Bradford,Widnes and York have good away followings compared to London. Of course that influences Crowd levels. But if you want to Think that a Big increase in people watching Championship games happened, then keep on dreaming.

I’m not saying big, but it did happen by whatever means, and you’ve just mentioned three teams coming in and one going out  

The thing that bothers me is that on this forum some people can’t wait to say something negative or dampen any good news. The challenge cup final being an example where a number of posters were revelling in the number of empty seats, it was as if they were delighted about it as it gave them a chance to moan. I can’t think of any other walk of life, sport or otherwise, where people who are supposedly enthusiastic about something take so much pleasure in deriding it (this isn’t having a go at you by the way). It’s no wonder the game isn’t expanding as much as most of us would like, who on earth would want to get involved in something with such miserable backward looking fans. 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

I think to be fair, when we are talking about numbers and analysis, points like the one raised can't be ignored. Of course the underlying point is positive, but you can't look at stats like this and ignore the fact that the fixtures are different.

Similarly, if next year Toronto and London exchange places it doesn't mean that we are suddenly seeing failure as crowds will drop. 

The context is important, but it is good news in any case.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

If you consider Leigh is a town of around 50,000 people with Wigan on your doorstep along with all the NW football clubs, a 3,000+ average crowd is pretty impressive, even if it has reduced slightly. 

I'll only be happy when it's full every game , until then we need to do more 

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

'fax's still doesn't feel correct giving they've had quite a few sub 1500 crowds.

Yeah doesn't feel righ that. At some of our games this season there has been a feeling of far larger spaces on the terraces than normal. I know season tickets are always counted and I would imagine the same for the community club days despite only small numbers turning up. I would imagine our actual average of people through the gates on matchdays is probably somewhere around the 1500-1600 mark.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Add to that both Saints and Warrington just a little bit further in mileage than Wigan but far easier and quicker to get to and from.

4 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Yeah doesn't feel righ that. At some of our games this season there has been a feeling of far larger spaces on the terraces than normal. I know season tickets are always counted and I would imagine the same for the community club days despite only small numbers turning up. I would imagine our actual average of people through the gates on matchdays is probably somewhere around the 1500-1600 mark.

Having had a few spare minutes at work..........I reckon 'fax's average is 1760 (2245, 1825, 1584, 1343, 2090, 3316, 1444, 1888, 1668, 1290, 1205, 1126 and 1862)

44 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Having had a few spare minutes at work..........I reckon 'fax's average is 1760 (2245, 1825, 1584, 1343, 2090, 3316, 1444, 1888, 1668, 1290, 1205, 1126 and 1862)

That sounds more realistic.  The Rochdale game second to last is one of the examples of counting all tickets as there were not over 1k people in the ground that day. Not quite on the level of the batley game a few years back though for counting every ticket. ??

4 hours ago, Damien said:

Some good attendances with several clubs showing increases. Interesting seeing this increase after the scrapping of the middle 8s too.

Agreed. The Championship is a real positive for UK RL. A few years ago I took no note of it, just followed SL. Now I follow both equally. There are some good teams in that comp. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

1 hour ago, HarrogateKnights said:

Yeah its one of the categories there are about 6 in total including league position, Our league influence and bits and pieces around compliance and accounts etc 

Find it hard to believe Rochdale’s crowds have gone up 40% after the wretched season their fans have had to endure.

Archived