2019 Championship Attendances Are In

RayCee

3 minutes ago, gavin7094 said:

A game I was at at Toulouse was reported as an estimated 2700.  I'd be amazed if there was over 700. 

15 minutes prior to kick off I could have counted them there were so few. 

And yet a lot of contributors to this forum are desperate for them to get into SL. I’d love another well supported French side in and hopefully their move to the Union stadium will help, but it sounds like they have a lot of work to do to get their crowds to desirable SL levels. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SL17 said:

Not really sure how you can estimate attendances once the event is finished. Isn't stewarding,catering and stands being made available built on ST holders along with tickets sold for the that particular game.

After my experience at Toulouse I'd be surprised if they had any idea how many were in the stadium, it was so amateurish.

10 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Don’t Championship clubs get more central funding if their attendances go up?

The size of the cake remains the same; only the individual slices may change.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Don't underestimate the impact of the eights. Other than for those clubs in the top four the gates were very poor indeed and generally didn't include any season tickets. Another good reason for it to be scrapped IMHO.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

13 hours ago, Eddie said:

I’m not saying big, but it did happen by whatever means, and you’ve just mentioned three teams coming in and one going out  

The thing that bothers me is that on this forum some people can’t wait to say something negative or dampen any good news. The challenge cup final being an example where a number of posters were revelling in the number of empty seats, it was as if they were delighted about it as it gave them a chance to moan. I can’t think of any other walk of life, sport or otherwise, where people who are supposedly enthusiastic about something take so much pleasure in deriding it (this isn’t having a go at you by the way). It’s no wonder the game isn’t expanding as much as most of us would like, who on earth would want to get involved in something with such miserable backward looking fans. 

You've noticed then Ed?

5 hours ago, gavin7094 said:

A game I was at at Toulouse was reported as an estimated 2700.  I'd be amazed if there was over 700. 

15 minutes prior to kick off I could have counted them there were so few. 

These are the figures I have:

2189 1707 6103 1388 2251 2038 1793 2235 2589 3741 2154 1895 2055

I haven't been to a game in Toulouse so can't comment on how accurate they are. What I will say is the average is about the same as last year and none of the figures look like estimates. Maybe that's a clever ruse. ?

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

3 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Hopefully that will go up even further next year, with Sheffield getting a new stadium, Newcastle coming up and Hull KR getting relegated.

Big call

Bigger call. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Sadly I think KR will go down too, and if anyone was offering League One play off odds I’d be backing Newcastle. 

Is Sheff Utd ladies new ground going to be ready for next season then? 

Yeah, the trip to Salford isn't an easy one. Still, London have to win at Wakey first  or all other permutations become academic. 

Newcastle can do it and I'd love to see the NE continue its progress.   

20 hours ago, RayCee said:

Fantastic season:

https://rugbyl.blogspot.com/2019/04/uk-championship-attendances-2019.html

Attendances through the roof. 

May I ask where you obtain these figures RayCee?

Are these the official attendances, or are these taken from the Rugby Press for example?

The reason I ask, I have noticed quite a discrepancy in the figures published by the League Weekly and League Express some weeks.  

I have also had some very similar experiences to Gav7094 at several grounds this season. Some of the published figures are quite frankly laughable. The Sheffield away game for us for example, was akin the last match at Halifax a few seasons ago BluesOx referenced earlier in the thread, which was officially reported at around 3k, when the reality was around 800. 

I realise this is very skeptical, but I find it highly unlikely that every figure will be accurate, given that a clubs future funding will be influenced by the increase in gates.

21 hours ago, RayCee said:

Fantastic season:

https://rugbyl.blogspot.com/2019/04/uk-championship-attendances-2019.html

Attendances through the roof. 

Good bit of work this. 

Would be interested to see list of each club’s highest home gate for the season and who the opposition were. 

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

The weather here in November is waaay better than in February. Probably the same as in England. And it is supposed to be a summer league - why does it start in the middle of winter anyway?

1 hour ago, DOGFATHER said:

May I ask where you obtain these figures RayCee?

Are these the official attendances, or are these taken from the Rugby Press for example?

The reason I ask, I have noticed quite a discrepancy in the figures published by the League Weekly and League Express some weeks.  

I have also had some very similar experiences to Gav7094 at several grounds this season. Some of the published figures are quite frankly laughable. The Sheffield away game for us for example, was akin the last match at Halifax a few seasons ago BluesOx referenced earlier in the thread, which was officially reported at around 3k, when the reality was around 800. 

I realise this is very skeptical, but I find it highly unlikely that every figure will be accurate, given that a clubs future funding will be influenced by the increase in gates.

They come from the press and yes, there are at times discrepancies. Mostly they are the same though. I'm not sure why there aren't official figures published from the RFL. Even then, it comes down to the figures they are given being accurate. 

I realise that these stats are a guide rather than absolute. However, what they do show is that the Championship had a well supported year. They also indicate which clubs did well and those less so. 

Every stat you ever read will have some level of inaccuracy. How many people were living in the UK in 2018? I guarantee any figure on that is not 100% accurate. With any figures what we hope for is for it to be as close enough to 100% as possible, so as to give a fair indicator of the truth. 

18 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Move somewhere warmer then 

As opposed to not forcing them to play home games when they can't host them? The issue isn't just the weather, it's the fact that their city-owned stadium is domed for community use until mid-April every year.

But no, teams freaking out over the Wolfpack not being forced to fly back and forth every week is far more important than a simple and logical scheduling adjustment.

Archived