2019 Championship Attendances Are In

RayCee

5 minutes ago, Lamport Life said:

As opposed to not forcing them to play home games when they can't host them? The issue isn't just the weather, it's the fact that their city-owned stadium is domed for community use until mid-April every year.

But no, teams freaking out over the Wolfpack not being forced to fly back and forth every week is far more important than a simple and logical scheduling adjustment.

Funnily enough the Wolfpack are doing that anyway , they played Leigh at Lamport on Saturday and will face either York or Toulouse a week on Sunday , but they've still flown ' away ' to the UK a day after playing at ' home ' 

As I've put previously , for me they could play their loop fixtures 1st all in the UK , leaving an even number of trips to Canada for each other team , and allowing Toronto to play in groups of 2 giving equal travel to everybody 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is why we should leave the leagues as they are. League 1 to nurture expansion and help established clubs consolidate (W'haven eg).

Already to look forward to unless one goes up is the wife is letting me go to Toulouse again (new ground next year) and York (hopefully the same) are big games now vs the Bulls. I think Bradford will lose about 1000 from Odsal attendances. Mainly due to the "floating fan".

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/09/2019 at 02:22, RayCee said:

Fantastic season:

https://rugbyl.blogspot.com/2019/04/uk-championship-attendances-2019.html

Attendances through the roof. 

Good news but I don't really understand the figures in the table on this page.

For 2019 they list the total attendance as 456,995 and 189 matches so an average of 2,418. That looks ok to me.

Then for 2018 they have a total attendance of 249,125 and 180 matches and an average of 1,805  and in 2017 they have 279,664 over 180 matches and an average of 2,012.  Both of those two calculations are miles off.

(the increase is actually much better than stated as they have over calculated the 2018 and 2017 figures)

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

The York average looks out, for the league games it should be 2125. I think the discrepancy is because one of the Bradford lot (Mick Gledhill?) announced the York vs Bulls attendance as 4554, before York confirmed it as 4007. Most of the press then went with the earlier figure. 

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

For 2019 they list the total attendance as 456,995 and 189 matches so an average of 2,418. That looks ok to me.

Then for 2018 they have a total attendance of 249,125 and 180 matches and an average of 1,805  and in 2017 they have 279,664 over 180 matches and an average of 2,012.  Both of those two calculations are miles off.

(the increase is actually much better than stated as they have over calculated the 2018 and 2017 figures)

There were 138 matches during the regular Championship season (12 clubs h and a + Bash) in 2017 and 2018 which gives 1805 and 2026 using the quoted season totals. Not sure were the 180 figure comes from. 189 for 2019 looks correct.

On 12/09/2019 at 11:28, Lamport Life said:

As opposed to not forcing them to play home games when they can't host them? The issue isn't just the weather, it's the fact that their city-owned stadium is domed for community use until mid-April every year.

But no, teams freaking out over the Wolfpack not being forced to fly back and forth every week is far more important than a simple and logical scheduling adjustment.

The MLR schedule came out today (although it looks to be down again) and the Arrows have much the same schedule as last year, almost all away games until April them almost all home.

With one exception of a February home game... not sure how that will work, although RUNY was talking about hosting a game in Buffalo, maybe that will actually be an Arrows home game? They played an exhibition game last year at the Bills indoor facility. 

Anyway,  other leagues are willing to work around weather, avoiding games in the north while it's cold and avoiding games in the south while it's hot.

7 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Hi Dunbar, I rechecked and realised I had transferred some figures from on chart to another incorrectly. The main difference was the number of games played is inaccurate. This was due to constant changes in the way competitions are run in RL and the chart is only for regular season games. It created a discrepancy in the number of games played before playoff games. 

Regardless, it has been modified and I appreciate your noticing the difference.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

6 hours ago, AB Knight said:

The York average looks out, for the league games it should be 2125. I think the discrepancy is because one of the Bradford lot (Mick Gledhill?) announced the York vs Bulls attendance as 4554, before York confirmed it as 4007. Most of the press then went with the earlier figure. 

Spot on AB, that is what happened. The chart has been updated accordingly. Thanks.

5 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

There were 138 matches during the regular Championship season (12 clubs h and a + Bash) in 2017 and 2018 which gives 1805 and 2026 using the quoted season totals. Not sure were the 180 figure comes from. 189 for 2019 looks correct.

Again, spot on Les. I included the playoff games into the number of matches, which was incorrect. Fixed and thanks. 

32 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Hi Dunbar, I rechecked and realised I had transferred some figures from on chart to another incorrectly. The main difference was the number of games played is inaccurate. This was due to constant changes in the way competitions are run in RL and the chart is only for regular season games. It created a discrepancy in the number of games played before playoff games. 

Regardless, it has been modified and I appreciate your noticing the difference.

Cool. Great news on the Championship figures this year and thanks for posting. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 12/09/2019 at 00:24, TIWIT said:

And it is supposed to be a summer league - why does it start in the middle of winter anyway?

Never question the RFL. They know better than us!

Great insight, so looking at all clubs across all Leagues, 2019 v 2018 looked like this:

• Leeds - Up
  • St Helens - Up
  • Wigan - Up
  • Hull FC - Up
  • Warrington - Up
  • Catalans - Up
  • Hull KR - Up
  • Castleford - Down
  • Wakefield - Up
  • Huddersfield - Down
  • Salford - Up
  • London - Up 
  • Widnes - Down
  • Toronto - Up
  • Bradford - Up
  • York - Up
  • Leigh - Down
  • Toulouse - Up
  • Featherstone - Down
  • Halifax - Up
  • Barrow - Up
  • Batley - Up
  • Dewsbury - Up
  • Swinton - Up
  • Sheffield - Up
  • Rochdale - Up
  • Newcastle - Up
  • Workington - Up
  • Whitehaven - Up
  • Keighley - Up
  • Doncaster - Down
  • Oldham - Up
  • Hunslet - Down
  • Skolars - Up
  • Coventry - Up
  • North Wales - Down
  • South Wales - Down

So for 37 clubs, 28 enjoyed YOY increases whilst 9 had drops.  

Looking at aggregates and attendances across the Professional game: 

2018: 1,908,713 attended 500 Games (3,817 Avg)
2019: 1,995,407 attended 473 Games (4,219 Avg)

Overall, that is a real positive for the game.  Not only did averages go (10.5% YOY) up, but so did the aggregate (4.5% YOY) showing more people went to games this year versus 2018, even with one less club and 27 less games.  

Here's hoping that upward trend can continue into 2020. 

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

2 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

Great insight, so looking at all clubs across all Leagues, 2019 v 2018 looked like this:

• Leeds - Up
  • St Helens - Up
  • Wigan - Up
  • Hull FC - Up
  • Warrington - Up
  • Catalans - Up
  • Hull KR - Up
  • Castleford - Down
  • Wakefield - Up
  • Huddersfield - Down
  • Salford - Up
  • London - Up 
  • Widnes - Down
  • Toronto - Up
  • Bradford - Up
  • York - Up
  • Leigh - Down
  • Toulouse - Up
  • Featherstone - Down
  • Halifax - Up
  • Barrow - Up
  • Batley - Up
  • Dewsbury - Up
  • Swinton - Up
  • Sheffield - Up
  • Rochdale - Up
  • Newcastle - Up
  • Workington - Up
  • Whitehaven - Up
  • Keighley - Up
  • Doncaster - Down
  • Oldham - Up
  • Hunslet - Down
  • Skolars - Up
  • Coventry - Up
  • North Wales - Down
  • South Wales - Down

Overall, that is a real positive for the game.  Not only did averages go (10.5% YOY) up, but so did the aggregate (4.5% YOY) showing more people went to games this year versus 2018, even with one less club and 27 less games.  

Fabulous news, thanks for sharing it. It won’t stop the doomsayers groaning on about how the game is dying though. 

10 hours ago, RayCee said:

Spot on AB, that is what happened. The chart has been updated accordingly. Thanks.

Again, spot on Les. I included the playoff games into the number of matches, which was incorrect. Fixed and thanks. 

Excellent work Ray and hope you don't feel as though I'm criticizing your efforts - I know how difficult it often is to get hold of attendance figures and how much effort you must be putting in to do so. Keep up the great work!

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Excellent work Ray and hope you don't feel as though I'm criticizing your efforts - I know how difficult it often is to get hold of attendance figures and how much effort you must be putting in to do so. Keep up the great work!

Absolutely no problem. I welcome any suggestions and corrections. I appreciate the kind words too.

5 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

Those of us who were watching British RL in the mid-1970s will remember when an average crowd of 4219 would have put you amongst the best supported clubs in the country. In 1976-77, only Widnes & Salford averaged more than 5000.

Thanks RayCee for doing this.

On 24/09/2019 at 05:42, Yakstorm said:

• Leeds - Up
  • St Helens - Up
  • Wigan - Up
  • Hull FC - Up
  • Warrington - Up
  • Catalans - Up
  • Hull KR - Up
  • Castleford - Down
  • Wakefield - Up
  • Huddersfield - Down
  • Salford - Up
  • London - Up 
  • Widnes - Down
  • Toronto - Up
  • Bradford - Up
  • York - Up
  • Leigh - Down
  • Toulouse - Up
  • Featherstone - Down
  • Halifax - Up
  • Barrow - Up
  • Batley - Up
  • Dewsbury - Up
  • Swinton - Up
  • Sheffield - Up
  • Rochdale - Up
  • Newcastle - Up
  • Workington - Up
  • Whitehaven - Up
  • Keighley - Up
  • Doncaster - Down
  • Oldham - Up
  • Hunslet - Down
  • Skolars - Up
  • Coventry - Up
  • North Wales - Down
  • South Wales - Down

Well done, a good report. Seems P&R is the way forward!

The fact that so many clubs went up and that overall the game attracted more fans than previous years indicates that the more traditional 'P&R' model is easier for the clubs to sell than the Super 8's concept ever was.

Whilst there are always other factors in play, the fact that arguably the whole game was better supported in 2019 vs 2018 definitely implies that some significant change to the competitions influenced this.  

Even for League 1, despite the competition average going down, the fact that 7 out of the 11 clubs that participated last year enjoyed growth is significantly positive.  Unfortunately for League 1, with Whitehaven (1,012 Avg) going up and a chance Newcastle (1,028 Avg) will join them, there is a high probability that the competition average will go down again next year as I would assume both Barrow and Rochdale's averages will take a hit, even if the other 9 clubs all enjoy YOY increases. 

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

6 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

The fact that so many clubs went up and that overall the game attracted more fans than previous years indicates that the more traditional 'P&R' model is easier for the clubs to sell than the Super 8's concept ever was.

Whilst there are always other factors in play, the fact that arguably the whole game was better supported in 2019 vs 2018 definitely implies that some significant change to the competitions influenced this.  

Even for League 1, despite the competition average going down, the fact that 7 out of the 11 clubs that participated last year enjoyed growth is significantly positive.  Unfortunately for League 1, with Whitehaven (1,012 Avg) going up and a chance Newcastle (1,028 Avg) will join them, there is a high probability that the competition average will go down again next year as I would assume both Barrow and Rochdale's averages will take a hit, even if the other 9 clubs all enjoy YOY increases. 

Yes and yes.

Archived