Attendances 2017-2019

SINGE

Its amazing that there is still a semi pro club. Hamilton has faults but he has worked wonders to be fair. 

But he's not getting any younger and you just look at what happened to Bury and Bolton to see the wolf can't be far away. Christ knows what will happen when central funding is cut

40 minutes ago, clifford said:

But he's not getting any younger and you just look at what happened to Bury and Bolton to see the wolf can't be far away. Christ knows what will happen when central funding is cut

I think we all know what is going to happen. We won't be on our own either. I think they'll be a plethora of clubs going bump. The central funding is key to most lower level clubs survival unfortunately. 

11 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

I think we all know what is going to happen. We won't be on our own either. I think they'll be a plethora of clubs going bump. The central funding is key to most lower level clubs survival unfortunately. 

Unfortunately I fear you are right.I fear the writing is on the wall for many clubs and when central funding goes I think we will see quite a number of clubs fold.

11 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

Unfortunately I fear you are right.I fear the writing is on the wall for many clubs and when central funding goes I think we will see quite a number of clubs fold.

Not a good feeling is it. It's going to be a sad sad day. But I feel it is coming. 

22 hours ago, Lion heart 59 said:

look  what happen to us 90% dont want to be  manchester ,and it will cost them at least 50% of its core fan base , but their not listening 

Just speaking for myself, I wouldn't be happy supporting a Manchester team as I'm not from Manchester. I may as well support Wigan in that case, a hugely successful club that is in greater Manchester. I could also watch Salford. We'll see what comes out in the wash. 

3 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

Not a good feeling is it. It's going to be a sad sad day. But I feel it is coming. 

I am afraid it is coming.And it is a horrible feeling I agree.As you know I am a Swinton Lions fan and it has been well documented what is going on right now.

And I think this is one of the reasons why the board have taken the decision to rebrand to attempt at least try and attract a bigger audience.It may work it may not but they are trying something different.And I Unfortunately agree that to stay as we are then Swinton Lions would be one of those clubs that would die.

And as you quite rightly say where clubs outside SL are concerned we will see what comes out in the wash.

6 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

I am afraid it is coming.And it is a horrible feeling I agree.As you know I am a Swinton Lions fan and it has been well documented what is going on right now.

And I think this is one of the reasons why the board have taken the decision to rebrand to attempt at least try and attract a bigger audience.It may work it may not but they are trying something different.And I Unfortunately agree that to stay as we are then Swinton Lions would be one of those clubs that would die.

And as you quite rightly say where clubs outside SL are concerned we will see what comes out in the wash.

Luckily I also support Saddleworth rangers, an amateur club within Oldham. So if the worst was to happen I can still follow a club representative of my town. And it's only 3quid in?. I could even pick and choose the odd superleague game if I fancy it. Nobody knows the future for sure but it doesn't look rosey at the moment. I suppose it's rugby leagues own dare I say it"brexit",theres no answer that'll please everyone. What will be will be. 

I hope the day does not arrive ..

So much history will vanish into oblivion..

We have to hope someone somewhere with a big wallet rides into town.

Clearly, CH does not have the resources to take the club beyond the lower reaches of the championship at best, the big concern is the fan base is getting older and getting smaller and i would suggest the majority of kids in Oldham will not even be aware the town has a 'pro' club.

Big plaudits must go to the players for turning out and performing so well week in week out.

I will follow the club to the end, the op really depresses me to be honest.

32 minutes ago, OLD YED said:

I hope the day does not arrive ..

So much history will vanish into oblivion..

We have to hope someone somewhere with a big wallet rides into town.

Clearly, CH does not have the resources to take the club beyond the lower reaches of the championship at best, the big concern is the fan base is getting older and getting smaller and i would suggest the majority of kids in Oldham will not even be aware the town has a 'pro' club.

Big plaudits must go to the players for turning out and performing so well week in week out.

I will follow the club to the end, the op really depresses me to be honest.

Pretty much agree with you mate. It would be a crying shame if all this was to happen. As I've said on other threads I don't think rugby league is as relevant in Oldham as what it once was, its probably the same in Rochdale, Swinton etc. Crowd's getting older and smaller, I do fear the writings on the wall. I hope I'm wrong. I'm of the opinion that the game in general may be getting smaller but by the time those at the top realise this it will be too late. 

6 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

Well with the news that has broken today about the Swinton board and chairman resigning we will not be here very soon I feel.In fact it could be days or weeks 

I've just read the topic on this sites main page. If reports of fans threatening board members is true then that is unacceptable to the max. Yes people can object and if people choose to do so then there are ways of doing this but this isn't one of them. Ste wild has agreed to stay on in the interim period but this is truly a sad sad state of affairs. I've spoke to fans from Swinton and in the main you seem like great bunch of people who love their club. But a section of the supporters using this type of behaviour needs sorting out. I hope something can be done to stabilise things at Swinton so the club can move forward. I don't know the ins and outs at the club but good luck to all to do with the Swinton club, it doesn't sound good though. 

On 14/09/2019 at 06:35, moorside roughyed said:

I've just read the topic on this sites main page. If reports of fans threatening board members is true then that is unacceptable to the max. Yes people can object and if people choose to do so then there are ways of doing this but this isn't one of them. Ste wild has agreed to stay on in the interim period but this is truly a sad sad state of affairs. I've spoke to fans from Swinton and in the main you seem like great bunch of people who love their club. But a section of the supporters using this type of behaviour needs sorting out. I hope something can be done to stabilise things at Swinton so the club can move forward. I don't know the ins and outs at the club but good luck to all to do with the Swinton club, it doesn't sound good though. 

As far as I am concerned the club is now dead.

4 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

As far as I am concerned the club is now dead.

I'm really sorry to hear that mate. I always try to keep my glass half full and I'll continue to do so for Swinton Lions. We all need Swinton to carry on irrespective of what club we follow. It not over until its over. 

Given the likely situation when central funding ends my personal opinion is that Swinton were right to rebrand as Manchester. It wouldn't work for Oldham or Rochdale but Swinton's ties to the Manchester area are much greater. At the end of the day Manchester is a global brand and always more likely to draw (new) interest than Swinton (which can be hard to find on a map where 5 Swintons are listed in my Collins road atlas).

Going forward all traditional clubs need new supporters and can't go on as they are as older fans age and die (sorry, but it's true). Swinton's initiative is not guaranteed to succeed but at least it's pro-active.

Suppose it depends now whether the Board resigning is the end of the affair.

If Swinton played in Swinton and a new name was proposed, I'd likely be against it.

If Swinton played in Swinton and a new name and relocation to Manchester was proposed, I'd likely be against it.

The company remained as Swinton, the colours and home remained the same and the badge explicitly kept reference to Swinton.  If this was the only thing the club did and hoped people will just turn up, then I think it would fail.  If this was part of a plan to increase attendances, awareness etc, then I think it might have legs.

As it is we will never know.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 18/09/2019 at 22:06, Bedford Roughyed said:

If Swinton played in Swinton and a new name was proposed, I'd likely be against it.

If Swinton played in Swinton and a new name and relocation to Manchester was proposed, I'd likely be against it.

The company remained as Swinton, the colours and home remained the same and the badge explicitly kept reference to Swinton.  If this was the only thing the club did and hoped people will just turn up, then I think it would fail.  If this was part of a plan to increase attendances, awareness etc, then I think it might have legs.

As it is we will never know.  

Is there a case in Post war history where such a rebrand has worked? Football and Rugby the more truer comparisons, rather tan an obscure sport.

Archived