Championship Attendances

Blind side johnny

Interesting data to ponder during gloomy autumnal evenings: https://rugbyl.blogspot.com/2019/04/uk-championship-attendances-2019.html

Anyone attempting to derive a pattern from these faces a hopeless task, IMHO of course.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Appreciate it's more down to away support but 23% increase is good news by any stretch.

Reckon it must ALL be down to away speccies...I see the same 772 Dewsbury fans every home game..

Good to see us above the doggies at least and God bless Barrow..Above us comfortably despite a poor season and almost certainly far fewer travelling supporters..

13 hours ago, Rambo said:

Attendances up 23% and the deal with Bradford and we still have a reduction in playing budget?

Yes. Costs are paid from income, not out of a jam jar: our central distribution is likely to be £30k lower next year than this.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

15 hours ago, Rambo said:

Attendances up 23% and the deal with Bradford and we still have a reduction in playing budget?

I see this slightly differently ..... If I was M.S. and even if I intended to invest any of the Bradford money in the team ... the last thing I would do would be to announce an increase in playing budget!!  ... We see it so many times in sports wages ... when a club has more money wage expectations increase!  ...

At the AR party night LG said that he wanted a certain type of player... one who was more motivated by development and loyalty than doubling his wages!

The best recruitment is done quietly and discreetly .... we may find out more on Tuesday!

1 hour ago, the old nine ole said:

I see this slightly differently ..... If I was M.S. and even if I intended to invest any of the Bradford money in the team ... the last thing I would do would be to announce an increase in playing budget!!  ... We see it so many times in sports wages ... when a club has more money wage expectations increase!  ...

At the AR party night LG said that he wanted a certain type of player... one who was more motivated by development and loyalty than doubling his wages!

The best recruitment is done quietly and discreetly .... we may find out more on Tuesday!

This season, I thought LG invested what little money there was in quantity rather than quality (some of the signings disappearing on the strength of one friendly), as indeed did some of his predecessors. I hope that our limited resources this year are invested in quality, particularly if we intend to continue relying on loans/DR to pad the squad out.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

23 minutes ago, grumpyoldram said:

This season, I thought LG invested what little money there was in quantity rather than quality (some of the signings disappearing on the strength of one friendly), as indeed did some of his predecessors. I hope that our limited resources this year are invested in quality, particularly if we intend to continue relying on loans/DR to pad the squad out.

I'm not sure about DR, other than we are unlikely to have anything to do with Wakefield on this front ever again, but loans can be used well if they are the right ones. However, with the advent of reserve teams in all SL clubs then those players who might have been available will be in shorter supply.

I would agree with the need to invest in quality just as long as those quality players are actually available. I'm sure that suggestions would be warmly received.

41 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I'm not sure about DR, other than we are unlikely to have anything to do with Wakefield on this front ever again, but loans can be used well if they are the right ones. However, with the advent of reserve teams in all SL clubs then those players who might have been available will be in shorter supply.

I would agree with the need to invest in quality just as long as those quality players are actually available. I'm sure that suggestions would be warmly received.

Well I hope we manage/managed to acquire one Wakefield player before the big fall out happens/happened. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

2 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Well I hope we manage/managed to acquire one Wakefield player before the big fall out happens/happened. 

If we do/have, I hope it's Annakin.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

7 minutes ago, grumpyoldram said:

If we do/have, I hope it's Annakin.

Fans forum next week - maybe we will learn something there?

21 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Yes. Costs are paid from income, not out of a jam jar: our central distribution is likely to be £30k lower next year than this.

So.  If I read this thread correctly we are still skint and got one of the lowest squad budgets in the league?

thank goodness we’ve got the deal with the Bulls, the outside pitches being used by the national women’s RL team and Bradford City along with some five a side pitches and maybe even the car boot. Otherwise we would be skint ?

2 hours ago, NickD said:

thank goodness we’ve got the deal with the Bulls, the outside pitches being used by the national women’s RL team and Bradford City along with some five a side pitches and maybe even the car boot. Otherwise we would be skint ?

All income streams Batley don't have 

IMG_0583.JPG

Just now, NickD said:

So.  If I read this thread correctly we are still skint and got one of the lowest squad budgets in the league?

Oh well - austerity seems to be the order of the day everywhere. TBH, I'm getting used to us living down to expectations, and I think those of us who are of a pragmatic nature understand the reasons why overextending our finances is not an option. Unfortunately, the situation is unlikely to maintain, let alone increase attendances, which will inevitably lead to an even further decrease in funding. The problem, like the Irish backstop, seems insoluble, but I guess we can all take inspiration from the achievements of York, and hope.

George Bernard Shaw.

2 hours ago, NickD said:

Clearly you don't. If you look at the attendance figures, for example, there might be a correlation between those and a club's projected budget. If by "one of the lowest squad budgets in the league" you mean one of those five or six clubs who will have a similar budget to ours then, yes, you are right. Budgets less than Bradford, Leigh, Featherstone, Toulouse, York or Halifax shouldn't be too surprising should they?

You will have every chance to ask these and other questions next Tuesday.

1 minute ago, Rambo said:

Is MS the only director at the club now? If so he will be the only one who truly knows the club’s finances and he will only disclose what he wants to disclose.

There is also a Finance Director, Andrew Farrow. I would expect that, as in any other business, all shareholders are kept abreast of the finances on a regular basis.

3 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

There is also a Finance Director, Andrew Farrow. I would expect that, as in any other business, all shareholders are kept abreast of the finances on a regular basis.

Haven’t seen him at games for quite a while.

Wasn’t he on the board when we went full-time for 2months in circa 1995 and signed all those South Africans before realising we couldn’t afford it?

rambo.gif

3 minutes ago, Rambo said:

Haven’t seen him at games for quite a while.

Wasn’t he on the board when we went full-time for 2months in circa 1995 and signed all those South Africans before realising we couldn’t afford it?

We didn't actually have a "Board" before 2001 I believe as we were still a members' club up until that time. He may well have been on the committee, however.

As for AF's attendances at games I don't know if he gets round to the South Stand.

On 13/09/2019 at 11:22, Blind side johnny said:

Clearly you don't. If you look at the attendance figures, for example, there might be a correlation between those and a club's projected budget. If by "one of the lowest squad budgets in the league" you mean one of those five or six clubs who will have a similar budget to ours then, yes, you are right. Budgets less than Bradford, Leigh, Featherstone, Toulouse, York or Halifax shouldn't be too surprising should they?

You will have every chance to ask these and other questions next Tuesday.

Now you can add Swinton to the list of clubs who will be likely to have a smaller budget than us next year, and London to those who's budget will be greater.

On 11/09/2019 at 22:03, NickD said:

Reckon it must ALL be down to away speccies...I see the same 772 Dewsbury fans every home game..

Good to see us above the doggies at least and God bless Barrow..Above us comfortably despite a poor season and almost certainly far fewer travelling supporters..

you might need to check again fella,seems they got some sums wrong..

Archived