TV ratings

Super League claims Sky TV ratings were up in August and July by 27% and 24% respectively year on year.

https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/1025/fans-loving-summer---and-the-new-play-off-format

For me the season hasn’t dragged like I felt it did in late summer under the 8s. 

Top 5 playoffs with one-up, one-down has worked beautifully this season.

Won’t always be like that, of course, but I hope SL resists the urge to fiddle with itself when it’s clear people like this structure.

Overseas with work until Jan 20 so not been able to watch games live. However, I have really enjoyed many of the games I've been able to catch on BFBS. Not surprised viewing figures are up as both the race for the top five and a humdinger of a relegation battle have been enthralling IMO. Good news for the new TV contract.

Roll on the playoffs (and Friday).

8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Super League claims Sky TV ratings were up in August and July by 27% and 24% respectively year on year.

https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/1025/fans-loving-summer---and-the-new-play-off-format

For me the season hasn’t dragged like I felt it did in late summer under the 8s. 

Top 5 playoffs with one-up, one-down has worked beautifully this season.

Won’t always be like that, of course, but I hope SL resists the urge to fiddle with itself when it’s clear people like this structure.

I’d prefer one up / down automatically and then 11th play the loser of the championship GF, to give more hope to championship teams and push lower SL teams harder; but agreed in general this system is far superior to the last. 

35 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’d prefer one up / down automatically and then 11th play the loser of the championship GF, to give more hope to championship teams and push lower SL teams harder; but agreed in general this system is far superior to the last. 

I'd promote the top of the league rather than do that, and have 11th in their playoffs.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

21 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Some really weird stats there. I think if you have to do so much data manipulation it ain't a great look.

The TV figure stats if accurate are very positive.

I'm interested in what they're comparing to... they say " a 27 per cent increase in average audience in August compared with the corresponding stages of last season’s Super 8s." The Super 8s had those Saturday afternoon Middle 8 games in addition to the Thursday and Friday games. No idea how they rated relatively but are they included or excluded.

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I'd promote the top of the league rather than do that, and have 11th in their playoffs.

Yeah good idea, though would you have the SL 11th going in as the 2nd placed team? Might be better with a straight 11th v 2nd two legger, or even better one off at a neutral ground, that would be massive. 

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yeah good idea, though would you have the SL 11th going in as the 2nd placed team? Might be better with a straight 11th v 2nd two legger, or even better one off at a neutral ground, that would be massive. 

No, I like the playoffs.

I'd have them as the top seed, as their "bye" week would be the final SL round, and the first playoff round would happen at the same time as that round. Makes sense.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

2 hours ago, M j M said:

I'm interested in what they're comparing to... they say " a 27 per cent increase in average audience in August compared with the corresponding stages of last season’s Super 8s." The Super 8s had those Saturday afternoon Middle 8 games in addition to the Thursday and Friday games. No idea how they rated relatively but are they included or excluded.

Using the BARB data which isn't 100% accurate as doesn't give full visibility of lower Main Event games that don't make the top 10/15 shows a very healthy increase:

August 18:

12 games (0 Main Event figures) = 911k total, 76k average

August 19:

10 games (2 Main Event figures) = 1.19m total, 119k average

Obviously they are not all like for like, but that is a very decent uplift - over 50%, suggesting there are further Main Event figures to be added to August 18 that I cannot see.

One of the other interesting things I noticed when looking was that an NRL game in August got 57k too, which seems really good for a Saturday morning Aussie RL game. 

6 hours ago, Dave T said:

One of the other interesting things I noticed when looking was that an NRL game in August got 57k too, which seems really good for a Saturday morning Aussie RL game. 

Thats a great figure. I'm surprised sky haven't shown more Canberra fixtures this year with the large English interest which would have boosted viewership.

53 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Thats a great figure. I'm surprised sky haven't shown more Canberra fixtures this year with the large English interest which would have boosted viewership.

The game in question was the Souths v Canterbury game. But I noticed others at 40k plus too.

I noticed a TWP game at 79k too.

13 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Overseas with work until Jan 20 so not been able to watch games live. However, I have really enjoyed many of the games I've been able to catch on BFBS. Not surprised viewing figures are up as both the race for the top five and a humdinger of a relegation battle have been enthralling IMO. Good news for the new TV contract.

Roll on the playoffs (and Friday).

As a Hull FC fan, I'm struggling with this concept.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Sky have actually shown 19 of Canberra's 24 matches this year. Next most shown are Souths who have been on 14 times. The Warriors are the least shown only being picked on 3 occasions. 

14 minutes ago, thirteenthman said:

Sky have actually shown 19 of Canberra's 24 matches this year. Next most shown are Souths who have been on 14 times. The Warriors are the least shown only being picked on 3 occasions. 

Does it depend on the kickoff times? I don't think you always get the first Friday and Saturday games do you? Souths generally rate well here so there is an incentive to have them on the prime kickoff times - 8pm Thursday and Friday. Warriors home games are usually in the 6pm Friday and 3pm Saturday slots.

1 hour ago, Farmduck said:

Does it depend on the kickoff times? I don't think you always get the first Friday and Saturday games do you? Souths generally rate well here so there is an incentive to have them on the prime kickoff times - 8pm Thursday and Friday. Warriors home games are usually in the 6pm Friday and 3pm Saturday slots.

Not really - Sky have pretty consistently had at least 3 NRL fixtures a week all season. Always like a 11am (8pm Aus) Friday and 9am (6pm Aus) Saturday game on. Then depending on what the Thursday night game is, they either pick that or pick up the Sunday afternoon game - especially as it seems that's a favourite slot for Canberra home games. 

Speaking more generally, the amount of followers the Raiders have over here now with the English contingent has surpassed the level of support the Rabbitohs were getting 4/5 years ago in peak Burgess brothers times IMO. Seems Raiders gamble has come good on and off the field. 

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

The NRL figures might be boosted by Aussies living here, some of whom might not watch SL; using a(n admittedly small) sample of one from my work that is the case. Not that it matters per se, the more RL on TV the better. 

Sky wouldn't care anyway. A subscriber is a subscriber.

Increase in viewing figures is fantastic but it needs to result in more revenue from broadcasters and sponsors to make a difference.

The main way we need to improve our TV product is better attendances. We need a game wide strategy for both of these things. 

Archived