Les Gorley RIP

Derwent

Really sad news, didn’t have the pleasure of seeing him play (a late convert to the game) but met him a good few times and a true gentleman and huge character. I remember Billy Thompson seeing him at a dinner and instantly saying “The smiling assassin!” He had a few tales about Les but you knew that they came from a man who had great respect.

Shocking news that . Les would have been playing when I first started going on my dads shoulders . Like the greats of that time he is and always will be a Town legend and immortal . And of course he went on to even greater things showing what a tremendous player he was . Very very sad whenever another of our true legends and key figures in our rich history leaves us , but although they pass they’ll never ever go from us or be forgotten . 

Coincidentally I watched an iconic film for the umpteenth time a couple of nights ago. " This Sporting Life" starring Richard Harris as a star loose forward at the pinnacle of Rugby League is uncannily realistic in terms of how the greatest game played out in those days. It was a very different landscape back in the 60's and 70's and players had to be durable and skillful to make the grade. Les Gorley always made the grade.........

Oh such sad news, I worked with Les for a short while and he knew my dad and cousin pretty well. I got a bit of grief off him as an apprentice but the rugby crack was always top notch as he seemed to know everyone, I also learned the hard way not to try to keep up pint for pint with him in the Volunteer one Christmas too!

I was a bit too young to see him play but he was a great bloke. Condolences to his family, RIP Big Les.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

11 hours ago, homeandawayer said:

Big Les in full stride, I was only a kid at the Lancs Cup finals but saw him in the pubs round Broughton and I can tell you I wouldn't have liked to have had to tackle him ! RIP Les a legend of Town and rugby league .

One of the best in one of the very best set of forwards we  (or any team) has ever assembled. 

RIP Les a true Town legend

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

5 hours ago, Brookie said:

Thought it would have got a mention in the N&S

Les was mentioned on Border Craic 'n' Deekaboot tonight which was a welcome departure from their usual indifference to local Rugby League matters .  They showed a fairly recent image of the big guy in happier times alongside someone who I think might have been Eckie Bell?  It would be fitting if our troops could muster one final effort in the playoffs in honour of a true Town legend. UTT. 

10 hours ago, Seaton Sandy said:

Les was mentioned on Border Craic 'n' Deekaboot tonight which was a welcome departure from their usual indifference to local Rugby League matters .  They showed a fairly recent image of the big guy in happier times alongside someone who I think might have been Eckie Bell?  It would be fitting if our troops could muster one final effort in the playoffs in honour of a true Town legend. UTT. 

I don't watch it anymore, no inderest in watching people galloping around on horses etc

RIP Les and condolences to his family. I have great memories of Les playing in that superb pack that won the Lancs Cup. He was a giant on the field and a gentleman off it, I remember being gutted when he went to Widnes. We've lost another legend. 

• 4 weeks later...

Did not know Les in his playing days but had the great pleasure of knowing and working with him over the last few years. A proper old fashioned, no nonsense fella and the best joiner I ever mey. I know he had great pride in his family, especially his grandson who's swimming successes he often relayed to me. Hope they play rugby and wear tool belts where you are now Les.

Archived