as a youngster my mum had family from Dewsbury so we visited the town quite frequently , remember a cinema, an ice cream parlour  and in the whole a very pleasant market town, later on in the early 90s going back to catch up with my cousins the town had a lovely arcade of shops -some good pubs - at least 6 -such as the market tavern where you could see stevo often there  on a weekend  and grab a mc donalds before the train back,  25 years later I had meeting about work(scaffolding) so thought would get there early and take a walk round an old place that was not home but had many good memories, WAS SHOCKED! - boarded up dump, walked as far as precinct to find a huge gathering of foreign men drinking cans at 11am where the black bull used to be, a depressing ghost town with an awful atmosphere , a guy openly urinating in the street during the day , how charming- hurried back to the van, had the meeting and went home sad and bemused at what had become of such a proud rugby league town.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yep. its gone down the rattle. i have to go now and again as my banks in dewsbury from when i lived in batley. old ice cream place was caddies all done out like victorian place,long glass filled with dandilion n burdock with a blob of ice cream on, abc minors pictures on a saturday morning, penny bun shop, bon bon in bus station was a place to be if you were a rocker..lol. not sure if the traffic wardens killed off dewsbury but cleckheaton is busy and bustling with free parking and nobody living in shop doorways.

8 minutes ago, silverback said:

yep. its gone down the rattle. i have to go now and again as my banks in dewsbury from when i lived in batley. old ice cream place was caddies all done out like victorian place,long glass filled with dandilion n burdock with a blob of ice cream on, abc minors pictures on a saturday morning, penny bun shop, bon bon in bus station was a place to be if you were a rocker..lol. not sure if the traffic wardens killed off dewsbury but cleckheaton is busy and bustling with free parking and nobody living in shop doorways.

the legendary caddies- yep that was it

Pretty much every town centre in the UK are dying.  Some more rapidly than others.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

2 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Pretty much every town centre in the UK are dying.  Some more rapidly than others.  

not barnsley, one a best shopping places to go.kept nice and tidy and any yobs are moved on outa town. been to pontefract today to bathroom place and did some shopping in town center,nice place and a fantastic breakfast in market hall for £4.:kolobok_popcorm1: mirfield aint bad but huddersfield seems to going down pan. online shopping aint helping i suppose but who knows.

I used to work in the centre of Dewsbury from about 1968 to 1980. I used to go in the Market Tavern most lunchtimes.In those days it was Tetleys bitter or mild on draught and nothing else but a few bottles.Certainly no draught lager.IIRC the landlord was called Jim Lyman,who was well known for being a bit tight with his brass.It was alleged that he set the gas fire on low and put the control knob in his pocket.

It was also alleged that on his night off ,while in the local cinema,they put on the screen would Jim go back to his pub to turn up the fire.

Oh please bring back the old days.

I'm sure some of the older Dewsbury fans(usual suspects)could confirm or refute my memories.

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Here’s Ipswich, still has the BHS store untouched and empty years after it closed. That says it all about modern high streets. 

C570143C-4505-4D0C-9EAC-DEBF1140F48C.jpeg

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Shame about Dewbury, used to have cracking markets on wednesdays and then car boot affair on Sundays. Wonderful pork butchers right at the end with glorious growlers!

Cleckheaton is very pleasant and also does a lovely line in glorious growlers! Collins and Metcalfes if you happen to pass either!

I used to deliver bread in Dewsbury, including the Bon Bon.  Also to the café in the Tudor Cinema, and Colliers Market Café, who used to do excellent bacon banjos.  Here's Caddys.  Lovely ice cream.  I'd have said Art Deco interiors.

caddys.png

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

I used to deliver bread in Dewsbury, including the Bon Bon.  Also to the café in the Tudor Cinema, and Colliers Market Café, who used to do excellent bacon banjos.  Here's Caddys.  Lovely ice cream.  I'd have said Art Deco interiors.

caddys.png

thats the place,always remember as a nipper all the fancy glasswork. fantastic icecream too and it mentioned in the paper the owner died never letting on its recipe.  granvil crossleys ice cream cart used to be near tripe stall but wernt as nice.

12 hours ago, Trevorkfevfan said:

Shame about Dewbury, used to have cracking markets on wednesdays and then car boot affair on Sundays. Wonderful pork butchers right at the end with glorious growlers!

Cleckheaton is very pleasant and also does a lovely line in glorious growlers! Collins and Metcalfes if you happen to pass either!

cross's butchers is still going at end a market with the award winning pies and cooked pork joints.

1 hour ago, silverback said:

thats the place,always remember as a nipper all the fancy glasswork. fantastic icecream too and it mentioned in the paper the owner died never letting on its recipe.  granvil crossleys ice cream cart used to be near tripe stall but wernt as nice.

Crossleys was nearly as nice, they made it at Ravensthorpe, and Lumbs from Wakey was nearly as nice too. But none of it matched Caddys

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

36 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Crossleys was nearly as nice, they made it at Ravensthorpe, and Lumbs from Wakey was nearly as nice too. But none of it matched Caddys

i lived at back a crossleys when i got wed in 73, best icecream ever was walls mr whippy from them old  pink n white commers with a little ford pop engine in back that ran on tvr(kinda parrafin) also mr softee from next to wakey rugby club. dixons works for me at the moment and struggle to drive past on leeds road hudd..:kolobok_popcorm1:

noticed there was a Wetherspoons and one more pub with what looked the cast of the living dead movie stood in the doorway smoking fags, didn't go as  far to see if the railway pub was still there

1 hour ago, silverback said:

i lived at back a crossleys when i got wed in 73, best icecream ever was walls mr whippy from them old  pink n white commers with a little ford pop engine in back that ran on tvr(kinda parrafin) also mr softee from next to wakey rugby club. dixons works for me at the moment and struggle to drive past on leeds road hudd..:kolobok_popcorm1:

I don't like soft ice cream. I find Walls sickly.  There's a good ice cream place up at Whitley.

Clement Attlee.

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

I don't like soft ice cream. I find Walls sickly.  There's a good ice cream place up at Whitley.

sharlots,its jersey ice cream too, the old walls ice cream was packed with real cream hence the deep yellow colour as they poured it out the big cans into the hopper at top a machine, can still smell them old vans with loads a lights and genarator  revving away 50 year after..lol.

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

was there a vw caddies ice cream van where the guy rang a big hand held bell out of the window? or have I had too many big weekends since my childhood?

yes, the fella started selling crossleys when caddies shut after owner died it were blue and gold, my old uncle mr kelly drove the old ca bedford round westown for 20 years for crossleys and i have his brass bell here as an ornament he used.

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

noticed there was a Wetherspoons and one more pub with what looked the cast of the living dead movie stood in the doorway smoking fags, didn't go as  far to see if the railway pub was still there

wellingtons still going strong bottom a daisy hill and i think bulls been done up at the moment,days a getting yer new shirt on and going down town are well gone nowadays i think.

22 minutes ago, silverback said:

wellingtons still going strong bottom a daisy hill and i think bulls been done up at the moment,days a getting yer new shirt on and going down town are well gone nowadays i think.

well I noticed peacocks was shutting down as well so the new shirt is no option either

26 minutes ago, silverback said:

from memory- might be wrong- correct me if so- the eightlands well? the rose and crown? a nightclub opposite the station, cant proper remember sorry

50 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

from memory- might be wrong- correct me if so- the eightlands well? the rose and crown? a nightclub opposite the station, cant proper remember sorry

yep,ma peels or chivagos, think it were owned by the one legged water ski fella off calandar mr bennet. turks heads still going, or it was not so long since as we went to a jam tribute and all spenborough scooter lads turned just like quadrafinia set. some a parkers were tight mind.

18 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Hastings ex-BHS is now a Primark

So is Wigan's. Strangely there is still a BHS in Bruges. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 points:

1 - Dewsbury Railway Station is supposed to have a fantastic range of real ales (not been myself) and is the starting point for Transpennine Real Ale Trail for stag parties etc who stop for a drink near every railway station to Stalybridge.

2- In the 1990's,my house was being decorated and  I went all round  the area looking for material for new curtains for my front room. My mate lives in Sale and,  when I was over there one day, he said he'd had his made from a shop in the town centre. We went there and I saw some really nice cloth that I bought and arranged to have made up.

The Asian bloke running the shop looked familiar and I said "I know I've seen you before somewhere. Do you have a stall in Dewsbury Market on a Wednesday?" He replied "No. I'm Farokh Engineer"!

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Archived