Texas Rugby League's 4 teams

Pulga

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

I was going to be a Houston Sharks fan but can’t even find a website or Facebook page. Looks like Union is quite big there though (relatively). 

See the blue lettering in the original post? You can click them. They're called "links". 

new rise.jpg

I know the interest in rugby league is building in the US and North America but I really think ideas like this are great to start with. In the sense of recognised cities in states with comps across the state to begin with. You don't realise how big Texas is until you look at a map but if this is linked to their college football or similar it could be huge over there 

Good luck to 'em. I do agree that some more imaginative names would be good, maybe Dallas Southforks, Houston Problems, San Antonio Banderases and Austin Allegros? Seriously, though, I do think something less generic would be better. San Antonio is home to the Alamo, for instance, the last stand for people like Davy Crockett and James Bowie - must be something related to that to improve on "Storm"?

Whatever the name, I'll declare for Austin. A fun, sophisticated little city. Way too cool for Texas, tbh.

It's great to see RL finally spreading across the US, but I fear they haven't learned their lesson. Once again they're trying to spread too far, rather than focusing in local areas and build a steady competition. Dallas to San Antonio is four hours travelling each way, a lot for a start up amateur competition.

Agree about the monikers too. Why does every club need to copy the NRL? US sports team's names are usually to do with the city or region. 

11 hours ago, londonrlfan said:

It's great to see RL finally spreading across the US, but I fear they haven't learned their lesson. Once again they're trying to spread too far, rather than focusing in local areas and build a steady competition. Dallas to San Antonio is four hours travelling each way, a lot for a start up amateur competition.

Agree about the monikers too. Why does every club need to copy the NRL? US sports team's names are usually to do with the city or region. 

It's only being spread like a virus across network to network.  RL is more divided than brexit, outlandish optimists and we are all doomed pessimists, sat in the middle are the realists shaking their heads. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 14/09/2019 at 10:05, londonrlfan said:

They can't have multiple teams in one city not enough union players to who want to play.

On 14/09/2019 at 21:20, RayCee said:

The Texas Rangers has a ring to it IMO.

Already taken by the Major League Baseball team (in Arlington)

Also the Longhorns are the University of Texas college football team (in Austin)

Given the President's immigration policy I'm surprised there isn't a San Antonio Wallbuilders.

On 14/09/2019 at 09:05, londonrlfan said:

Easy to criticise, maybe you could go to Houston and set up a league with a load of teams from within the city and show these amateurs how it’s done?

Archived