Reports suggest Toronto Wolfpack not guaranteed SL place

The Daddy

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

The major sponsor; AirTransat. Needs renewing / replacing shortly. Argyle has shown he is only willing / able to pay his squads wages. Nothing else, to the point TWP are selective in paying bills. SL Clubs pay their own fare but a seasons worth + of transatlantic travel needs funding for TWP......

Doesn't the Sky money come in then?

Not all SL clubs are rolling money and some make very little effort above paying wages.

I think if we looked at this board alone, TWP have probably generated more interest than any club over this last couple of years.  Certainly they will not cover the crowds that any of the clubs in the dogfight will but the RFL let them in and I doubt they can change that now.

2 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Elstone is trying to juice the Wolfpack for money...its an outright fraud attempt...is the same reason with Rimmer and the Ottawa delay...so blatant and obvious...then they try to cover it up with some pasty story...pathetic.

Okay Super League, now put the round in the chamber...thats right now cock the trigger...you are doing so well...

now put the end of the barrel of the revolver to your temple and make sure the chambered round is the next one up.....now disengage the safety....Ohhh!!!!.. they are indeed a bright pair this Rimmer/Elstone tandem.

Another sign that the right place for the likes of Toronto and New York is not the existing UK RL structure but a new transatlantic built-for-purpose league with franchises in major world class cities in Europe and America* which are strategically chosen to maximize that league's appeal to broadcasters and sponsors.

* Meaning the continent extending from Ellesmere Island down the Tierra del Fuego, not the US.

1 minute ago, Big Picture said:

Another sign that the right place for the likes of Toronto and New York is not the existing UK RL structure but a new transatlantic built-for-purpose league with franchises in major world class cities in Europe and America* which are strategically chosen to maximize that league's appeal to broadcasters and sponsors.

* Meaning the continent extending from Ellesmere Island down the Tierra del Fuego, not the US.

What about Featherstone ?

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

10 minutes ago, tuutaisrambo said:

Are Toronto getting a share of the Sky money or operating without any central funding like they have in the championship and league 1?

I'm sure Elstone and the rest of the SL chairmen would rather the sky money be split 11 ways instead of 12?

I think they would sooner have more money each split 12 ways rather than less money cut between 11.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

39 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Toronto have a growing track record of not paying their bills so they only have themselves to blame if they have to stump up cash in advance.

Quite.

This is a huge moment for Toronto, but a hige moment for SL too.  If it blows up in year 1 it would be a disaster.

I don't blame Elstone for seeking reasonable assurances.  No idea what DD they've asked for but a viable business plan with committed funding is the least a competent governing body would be asking for given the greater than usual risk of this venture.

7 minutes ago, Lamport Life said:

All of this outrage and discussion over a small opinion blurb lacking any evidence.

There may be no hard evidence but RL has a track record of moving the goal posts at a late stage of the season. Keighley were denied entry to the top flight and the club has never recovered from that set back. I wouldn't put it past them to block TWP on logistical grounds, despite letting them compete in the lower divisions without issue.

The outrage and discussion is precisely because it wouldn't surprise many of us on this forum if SL pulled such a stunt.

If Toronto are indeed not going to get their share of central funding then surely the 'problem' solves itself

Simply put their £1.85 aside, use it to fund the travel to and from Toronto and any other necessary expenses. Job done.

Or do the SL clubs fancy divvying up that 1/12th amongst themselves for which they do have previous form (see Bradford 2013)

20 minutes ago, Treize Hombres said:

There may be no hard evidence but RL has a track record of moving the goal posts at a late stage of the season. Keighley were denied entry to the top flight and the club has never recovered from that set back. I wouldn't put it past them to block TWP on logistical grounds, despite letting them compete in the lower divisions without issue.

The outrage and discussion is precisely because it wouldn't surprise many of us on this forum if SL pulled such a stunt.

Indeed , rules have been ' relaxed ' and others overenforced depending on who it applies to in the past 

24 minutes ago, Treize Hombres said:

Yep. See also the extra 2 teams added to the Championship this season at the very last minute. 

Didnt that happen around this Time of year?

I am assuming that SL are applying the same due diligence and appropriate considerations to whatever club was in line to be promoted.  It happens in other sports, so I'm not sure why such a fuss at this stage.

Surely await any decision and any rational given for whether Toronto or any other club is allowed in or turned down.

59 minutes ago, Padge said:

I think they would sooner have more money each split 12 ways rather than less money cut between 11.

The evidence supports Toronto would bring in a bigger sky deal - with their viewership in the championship out performing many SL games

1 hour ago, TIWIT said:

What newspaper is this article from? It's kind of short on details to say the least.

1 hour ago, krakauer said:

national enquirer?

If it is the enquirer I wouldn't be surprised if the source was some moaning on this forum lol

58 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

If Toronto are indeed not going to get their share of central funding then surely the 'problem' solves itself

Simply put their £1.85 aside, use it to fund the travel to and from Toronto and any other necessary expenses. Job done.

Or do the SL clubs fancy divvying up that 1/12th amongst themselves for which they do have previous form (see Bradford 2013)

How much are charter flights to Canada, say for a group of 25, a rudimentary search shows just over £300 pp from Leeds/Bradford so that's £90-£100k for 11 teams, if teams need to bring their chairpersons/hangers on they can fund it themselves, that should never be down to Toronto. I don't know what clubs have been doing for accommodation when going to Toronto, has there been a deal done with a local hotel/facility?

Even with putting the away team up the total cost is not going to be £200k so putting aside all of the SKY money just isn't necessary at all, In fact given what we have with teams having to fund themselves going to Southern France should the whole burden of the travel cost for all the other teams be on Toronto anyway?. 

Archived