Reports suggest Toronto Wolfpack not guaranteed SL place

The Daddy

Let me be clear on my position here.

TWP bought into the UK pyramid by taking no central funding and covering the additional travel costs that come with an NA team.

If TWP are still offering that in SL, it is a no-brainer that they should be in. Without question, all the other detail around fixtures, quality of hotel etc can be worked through, none are show-stoppers.

Any deviation from that base position though needs negotiation. Personally I'd give them central funding as long as they cover costs and we all share any future NA tv deal as we currently do.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Dave T said:

So maybe the funding promises are not being delivered? Maybe due diligence is unearthing issues? 

Or maybe there is nowt in it and it was a 30 word article ticked away in a newspaper with no source or detail?

Maybe there was a condition that a tv deal would be signed, or that TWP would provide an airline, who knows, but we dont need to bash the game just yet.

So do you suggest we kick the dog or have an unfounded, uninformed whinge on here? ? If not, what is this message board for? ? 

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

No, I'd put my best slap on which would mean going to a top game at Headingly, HJ, Saints, Magic, or the GF. 

But I also wouldn't go down to Salford or Hudds, or Wigan on a Thursday.

We need to stop being so critical of ourselves.

Which proves my point that us non Castleford,Wakefield fans, but  Rugby League fans wouild be too embarrassed to take a potential new sponsor to then decrepid grounds

7 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Which proves my point that us non Castleford,Wakefield fans, but  Rugby League fans wouild be too embarrassed to take a potential new sponsor to then decrepid grounds

We dont need to. It ain't a big deal. Poor facilities should hinder clubs and they struggle and find their level.

30 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Meh, they are all just stadium gripes.

Fans obsession with Wakey and Cas' grounds is the real boring thing here.

When you break it down it is silly. Some will claim bias against Leigh, but then ignore the fact that Salford and Wakey are clubs just like Leigh and hardky golden boys of SL. 

There are always claims it is all about the big teams but then Bradford were allowed to fade away. 

Sure, we have changed systems etc, but all of the game have been involved in that.

So ' Cherry picking ' is OK then ? , It's all relevant , or it's not , wether it's a club spending £ 20 K to pass criteria , or a club finding the land and funding to get a £ 20 million facility built , it's just the same 

You mention the Bulls ? , Do you really want to go there ? , Eventually their position was untenable , but leading up to that all was clear and in the open ? 

Either apply rules and criteria or don't , if you don't then put it all out in the open 

46 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So ' Cherry picking ' is OK then ? , It's all relevant , or it's not , wether it's a club spending £ 20 K to pass criteria , or a club finding the land and funding to get a £ 20 million facility built , it's just the same 

You mention the Bulls ? , Do you really want to go there ? , Eventually their position was untenable , but leading up to that all was clear and in the open ? 

Either apply rules and criteria or don't , if you don't then put it all out in the open 

Obviously you know more about this than me mate, but I think people simplify the debate too often based on stadium, and ignore anything else.

People complain Dewsbury(?) Were knocked back but Wakey were allowed in, but they arent equal.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Obviously you know more about this than me mate, but I think people simplify the debate too often based on stadium, and ignore anything else.

People complain Dewsbury(?) Were knocked back but Wakey were allowed in, but they arent equal.

Yet Wakefield were provisionally given permission to play at Dewsbury in SL a season or two back ? 

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I refer you to the post above  

If they aren't ' equal ' then say so , don't pretend the are 

On 12/09/2019 at 22:10, GUBRATS said:

So as I said , loads of experience with stadium development , but little with running the day to day and development of a club 

I'm sure he's a very clever bloke 

People who run/own successful and legitimate businesses/organisations don't necessarily need to know much if anything about another industry, RL in this scenario, he doesn't need to know about the actual day to day aspects of the rugby side of things, that's why you employ the right people who do.

Developing a club or more accurately the business is no different to developing any other, it's about getting the right structure/people, ensuring the environment is the best it can be, doing the right things to enable people to excel and to want to graft for you and be happy in their job no matter what their position (even if that means they move on because of you developing them). Investing in the now and the future of the business not just financially, getting others to invest, again that need not be financially to be a part of your 'club' that will enhance things are all aspects of running any business in any industry.

Basically the model for success is the same, most of it is about understanding and developing people, giving them the right tools/environ and motivating them to do their jobs to the best they can as often as they can. That applies to everyone, whether that be the person cleaning the toilets, your marquee player, your new academy lad, the rugby coach, anyone who works within and indeed anyone who contributes to your club.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Let me be clear on my position here.

TWP bought into the UK pyramid by taking no central funding and covering the additional travel costs that come with an NA team.

If TWP are still offering that in SL, it is a no-brainer that they should be in. Without question, all the other detail around fixtures, quality of hotel etc can be worked through, none are show-stoppers.

Any deviation from that base position though needs negotiation. Personally I'd give them central funding as long as they cover costs and we all share any future NA tv deal as we currently do.

But it was stated from the start that that situation wouldn't apply to an eventual promotion to Super League.  So it's been known for years it would need to be negotiated. Why hasn't that happened, or if it has, why hasn't it been made clear? 

12 hours ago, The Parksider said:

Utter nonsense. What happened was TWP applied for the Championship, and got in because it made Wood look good just before his move to RLIF. If TWP wanted Superleague it was up to them to contact Lenegan and company and seek permission to work towards a Superleague place, and agree on what SL wanted them to do for it.

They didn't do that which was shameful. Instead they ignored SL, steamrollered the small clubs to get to the gates of Superleague knowing that would put pressure on Superleague to accept them. Imagine the bad publicity our game will get if SL turn down Toronto Wolfpack if they win the play off. It's a cheap trick...

TWP originally applied to join Super League. They were told, you have to start in League 1 and work your way up and you will get no central funding while you do this. Super League and the RFL have known from the start that Argyle's ambition was to play in Super League.

If Wolfpack have "steamrollered the small clubs", that's down to the RFL and Super League for the entry conditions they imposed on Toronto.

If Wolfpack win the playoffs and aren't admitted to SL, the bad publicity lands squarely on the shoulders of SL.

So much utter nonsense in two paragraphs.

How much would flights to Toulouse cost? They are just being greedy and targeting Toronto just because they've got wealthy backers. It shouldn't be their job to cover the whole league. Especially when they're not taking any Sky funds. They keep pushing their luck and Toronto will walk away to union and RL will have no one to blame but themselves. 

3 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

How much would flights to Toulouse cost? They are just being greedy and targeting Toronto just because they've got wealthy backers. It shouldn't be their job to cover the whole league. Especially when they're not taking any Sky funds. They keep pushing their luck and Toronto will walk away to union and RL will have no one to blame but themselves. 

That is all well and good, but alternatively they can just choose not to absorb the extra cost and tell TWP sorry.

One side holds all the cards here, so the above doesn't work as an argument 

If Toronto get rejected, for whatever reason, I can see a noticeable decline in the game's already poor media standing.

It was clear from day one their intentions. The RFL have had years to sort this out. If there was never any intention they'd be allowed in SL, they shouldn't have let them in in the first place.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 minute ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

If Toronto get rejected, for whatever reason, I can see a noticeable decline in the game's already poor media standing.

It was clear from day one their intentions. The RFL have had years to sort this out. If there was never any intention they'd be allowed in SL, they shouldn't have let them in in the first place.

Unfortunately, the RFL dont hold the power for SL. Ultimately that is the issue here.

The RFL let them into L1, SLE decide whether they are in SL.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Unfortunately, the RFL dont hold the power for SL. Ultimately that is the issue here.

The RFL let them into L1, SLE decide whether they are in SL.

You'd have thought some safeguards would have been put in place.

I honestly don't think SL would be stupid enough to decline to Toronto.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

What are the arrangements for promotion? 

With the Championship being an RFL competition and Super League being self governing, does the latter have a choice to refuse a side entry?

Apologies if this has been already covered, I haven't read the previous 13 pages!

24 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

You'd have thought some safeguards would have been put in place.

I honestly don't think SL would be stupid enough to decline to Toronto.

Me neither, it's why I'm not too stressed about a nothing article. 

Archived