Reports suggest Toronto Wolfpack not guaranteed SL place

The Daddy

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

What are the arrangements for promotion? 

With the Championship being an RFL competition and Super League being self governing, does the latter have a choice to refuse a side entry?

Apologies if this has been already covered, I haven't read the previous 13 pages!

The arrangements for promotion are simply winning the Championship Final.

Additionally, non RFL members such as Toulouse or Toronto would also have to satisfy the terms of their particular participation agreement.

We, the public don't know the full details of each agreement. For example, We can take it a move to Stade Ernest-Wallon would satisfy an element of Toulouses agreement regarding participation in the top flight.

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

But the sport over the last 30 years has demonstrated that it is prepared to gamble on expansion, our execution has been poor though.

True.

You also said you'd be interested in their reasons. Did you mean the ones they'll publish, their real reasons, the ones the journalists will say are true or the one Parky will make up based on quote of Bill Fallowfield from 1962?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Were Wakey going to move into Dewsbury permanently? I dont remember the story tbh.

For a season at least , then again Leigh were refused to move to the Reebok for a season , does the Reebok pass SL criteria ?

I think the article is BS personally.  What we all should be commenting on as true fans of the game is the cracking match Toulouse just had against York.  I am very excited to watch them play Toronto next week!

That is the type of matchup that builds excitement in this sport.  Interestingly, TO XIII drew 6000 fans when Toronto came there earlier in the season, far and away their highest attendance.  Those are the type of match ups and events that are going to propel this sport forward in new markets!

41 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

But they did make it into one , then ignored it 

Licensing wasnt a stadium comp. Only the fans banged on and on and on about the facilities and ignored everything else that was in the reports. 

But happy to concede to your greater knowledge in this area Gubrats.

21 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

For a season at least , then again Leigh were refused to move to the Reebok for a season , does the Reebok pass SL criteria ?

I cant comment on the Leigh situation. If their license app was only knocked back because of facilities and they wouldn't let them go to the Reebok for 12m then I agree with you.

If there was anything else (at all) that wasnt strong enough in their application, then ghat supports my point.

38 minutes ago, Oxford said:

True.

You also said you'd be interested in their reasons. Did you mean the ones they'll publish, their real reasons, the ones the journalists will say are true or the one Parky will make up based on quote of Bill Fallowfield from 1962?

That is indeed a fair question!

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Licensing wasnt a stadium comp. Only the fans banged on and on and on about the facilities and ignored everything else that was in the reports. 

But happy to concede to your greater knowledge in this area Gubrats.

As I've pointed out in the past , the LSV was 80% complete , and was to be the next venue for a Leigh match ( we had moved out of Hilton Park ) , the RFL hierarchy had visited it twice in the previous 3 months at over 50% complete , there was grass growing in the middle , but they still asked us to resubmit our licence application with Hilton Park as our stadium , we told them to shove it 

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I cant comment on the Leigh situation. If their license app was only knocked back because of facilities and they wouldn't let them go to the Reebok for 12m then I agree with you.

If there was anything else (at all) that wasnt strong enough in their application, then ghat supports my point.

It wasn't a licence application , it was during the 2000 play offs , they had told us Hilton Park wasn't up to standard , so we requested that we would use the Reebok until we achieved the necessary improvements , they refused 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

It wasn't a licence application , it was during the 2000 play offs , they had told us Hilton Park wasn't up to standard , so we requested that we would use the Reebok until we achieved the necessary improvements , they refused 

Did they believe the improvement plan? 

Back in 2000 was Wakey offering better facilities than Leigh?

Just now, Dave T said:

Did they believe the improvement plan? 

Back in 2000 was Wakey offering better facilities than Leigh?

It wasn't drastic , just seats , media and general tidy up , which we did for 2004/5 , unlike Cas who came down and up twice without having to do anything 

Have you been to Below Vue ? , Hilton Park wasn't Wembley , but still 100% better than BV is now 

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It wasn't drastic , just seats , media and general tidy up , which we did for 2004/5 , unlike Cas who came down and up twice without having to do anything 

Have you been to Below Vue ? , Hilton Park wasn't Wembley , but still 100% better than BV is now 

It's a while since I've been to any of these grounds. And they weren't good then. 

Was the agreement with the Reebok made?

Sorry, conscious this is thread drift, but it is interesting stuff! 

59 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Sorry, conscious this is thread drift, but it is interesting stuff! 

Yeah nothing better than discussing the relative merits of old and disappeared stadia.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

7 hours ago, SL17 said:

They ask for bonds when something can’t be initially met. If something has been proposed then the bond is the safeguard usually for the Club and it’s players.

So the question remains is"Will they be asking for bonds from Salford and the championship and championship 1 clubs to enter next season CC?

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

That's  a lie - they installed a load of portaloos!

This topic shows the sorry state of BOTH the RFL and SL management when this even being discussed as the championship play-off is underway.

The sport needs to decide whether we don't expand the NH sport or we do.

If the northern union clubs had owners and the two governing bodies we have now we would still be playing union.

Rugby League in the Northern hemisphere has a real opportunity for growth with Toronto and Canada as well as with Toulouse and France. I just don't see the same opportunities or money within the UK at this moment in time. We can do so much better than more of the same.

19 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Caught a bit of the Full 80 Minutes pod earlier.

Bradford’s Damien Irvine (that little Aussie bald guy with the beard ) seemed to think the possibility of Toronto being denied entry is linked with a private equity investment in Super League. The plot thickens.

That is incredibly bad news. Because firstly when it comes to growing the game or a fat slice of money we know what the SLE chairmen will take. Secondly it implies that PE is not interested in a long term view of the competition.

Archived