Reports suggest Toronto Wolfpack not guaranteed SL place

The Daddy

6 minutes ago, redjonn said:

it will at least cover the extra cost of Elstone's office/operation - that has to be covered by SL teams. That's got to be over £1m...

The debt gossip and the TV deal are key.  But imo, with this statement from Elstone, it's looking negative.  I was hoping hed bring positives but nothing yet other than a few Rule changes and fixtures strategy.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

I hope the SL has a good legal team as if they reject them this will be in the courts for years.

If it’s in the courts for years they’d be better with a cheap and cheerful legal team.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

7 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

The debt gossip and the TV deal are key.  But imo, with this statement from Elstone, it's looking negative.  I was hoping hed bring positives but nothing yet other than a few Rule changes and fixtures strategy.

"Toulouse will be asked to comply with minimum standards but there are a number of different concerns and issues relating to Toronto. There are some things we’re seeking answers on that we don’t feel we need to with Toulouse. That’s not to say there’s an anti-Toronto agenda, but the circumstances are different.”

That does sound negative, agreed.

Just now, Man of Kent said:

"Toulouse will be asked to comply with minimum standards but there are a number of different concerns and issues relating to Toronto. There are some things we’re seeking answers on that we don’t feel we need to with Toulouse. That’s not to say there’s an anti-Toronto agenda, but the circumstances are different.”

That does sound negative, agreed.

That statement could really hurt  the league.

1 minute ago, wasginger said:

Now that is funny, seeing if Toulouse comply with minimum standards to enter S/L. Well I never saw that one coming. Where does that leave one or two clubs in S/L already. Surely the same standards have to apply to clubs already in S/L.

Joining criteria not remaining criteria. 

Once you’re in with a crumbling relic just don’t get relegated and you’ll be fine.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

2 minutes ago, wasginger said:

Now that is funny, seeing if Toulouse comply with minimum standards to enter S/L. Well I never saw that one coming. Where does that leave one or two clubs in S/L already. Surely the same standards have to apply to clubs already in S/L.

The wild card is what if Toronto/Toulouse announce  were going to form our own league.

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

Thank goodness there's someone out there, with enough (cash and) self belief to see this thing through.

Can you (the doubters, backstabbers, the envious malevolent hope killers and Rara fifth columnists) TWP haters imagine any other realistic way of spreading our game at this level across the world, in the near future? Can you see where we might actually get more TV cash, without them? Or attract new financial backers, with a different order of magnitude of financial clout? Or attract millions of new television viewers? Or eventually attract/create top class players in large numbers? I can't.

If a billionaire can't do it, the small time car-boot sale entrepreneurs (like Parky) have no chance, zero, zilch, nada, nowt.

Come on Mr Argyle, come on Eric Perez, God speed, fair wind, fine weather.

Until the amateurs, in Jamaica, Nigeria, Serbia, Greece, et al set the game alight world wide, you are our only hope.

Ontario has a population of 15 million any league to say we don't need a large population base has no hope .

The longer this continues the more I think it's a long con for publicity and clicks.  I think the SL bosses know what they want (twp in SL) and are drumming up publicity where they can to raise the profile of the promotion.  Nothing gets awareness like a good scandal.

Either that or the SL bosses are completely moronic for leaving it this long (a popular opinion in these parts I know, but I'm an optimist)

3 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

The longer this continues the more I think it's a long con for publicity and clicks.  I think the SL bosses know what they want (twp in SL) and are drumming up publicity where they can to raise the profile of the promotion.  Nothing gets awareness like a good scandal.

Either that or the SL bosses are completely moronic for leaving it this long (a popular opinion in these parts I know, but I'm an optimist)

I find it odd they would say we will know soon sorry but this should have been known months ago.

20 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

The longer this continues the more I think it's a long con for publicity and clicks.

Also covers their a***s if they have to fend off yammering from the anti-Wolfpack brigade should Wolfpack be admitted to SL. "Look at us! We did our due diligence!"

I can only guess what massive amount of cash they are trying to milk Wolfpack for.

After 4+ decades in Canada I'm still a proud Brit (I still hold a UK passport) I get a lump in my throat every time I see the Union flag and I'm near tears whenever I come "home" and see those green fields from the air but a lot of the time I despair on how badly things are run in the UK. All our famous carmakers sold off to foreign firms, big chunks of premium real estate and sporting cubs in the hands of Russkie criminals and then there's the Brexit mess which could be the catalyst that sees the UK split up into its component countries. And to top it off the best sport in the world RL seems to be run by complete nitwits. What happened to the country that used to be proud of exporting its magnificent cultural, industrial and commercial enterprises?...is the general population (including fervent RL fans) that insular now that when others (especially Commonwealth countries) want to take part and contribute to advancing and promoting the organic growth of a such a fine product they don't want any part of it?? I hope that isn't the case.

1 minute ago, Loup said:

Also covers their a***s if they have to fend off yammering from the anti-Wolfpack brigade should Wolfpack be admitted to SL. "Look at us! We did our due diligence!"

I can only guess what massive amount of cash they are trying to milk Wolfpack for.

The other issue is this could play into the Canadian elections next month which i don't think the league wnats to do the last thing they want to to be the subject of anti Canadian bias.

23 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

Honestly most of the SL chairman seem to be small time businessman that have no clue how to run a major business properly. it's bonkers when you think this is the top flight and they are run by the gurus of the local Nigel's Hardware.

Extra requirements for the Argyle & Co. but no issues giving quacks like DJB and Dr. K teams?

1 minute ago, Krzzystuff said:

Honestly most of the SL chairman seem to be small time businessman that have no clue how to run a major business properly. it's bonkers when you think this is the top flight and they are run by the gurus of the local Nigel's Hardware.

Extra requirements for the Argyle & Co. but no issues giving quacks like DJB and Dr. K teams?

I don't think they understand how much damage it would do to reject Toronto.

3 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

After 4+ decades in Canada I'm still a proud Brit (I still hold a UK passport) I get a lump in my throat every time I see the Union flag and I'm near tears whenever I come "home" and see those green fields from the air but a lot of the time I despair on how badly things are run in the UK. All our famous carmakers sold off to foreign firms, big chunks of premium real estate and sporting cubs in the hands of Russkie criminals and then there's the Brexit mess which could be the catalyst that sees the UK split up into its component countries. And to top it off the best sport in the world RL seems to be run by complete nitwits. What happened to the country that used to be proud of exporting its magnificent cultural, industrial and commercial enterprises?...is the general population (including fervent RL fans) that insular now that when others (especially Commonwealth countries) want to take part and contribute to advancing and promoting the organic growth of a such a fine product they don't want any part of it?? I hope that isn't the case.

Same boat as you but not as long . Regardless agree 100%

6 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

Maybe David Argyle and Eric Perez long term plans involve bringing in OSEG and MLSE in a consortium, take over the RFL AND SL and run the whole darn thing properly...start telling SKY how things are going to be come 2021..sure looks like it bl**dy well needs sorting!!

1 minute ago, RobertAM said:

Maybe David Argyle and Eric Perez long term plans involve bringing in OSEG and MLSE in a consortium, take over the RFL AND SL and run the whole darn thing properly...start telling SKY how things are going to be come 2021..sure looks like it bl**dy well needs sorting!!

Many think at some point OSEG/MLSE will merge and own every major team in Ottawa and GTA.

Archived