Reports suggest Toronto Wolfpack not guaranteed SL place

The Daddy

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Oxford said:

Sshhhhhhhhhhh!

Say this very quietly

"AS the debate continues over whether Super League should increase to 14 clubs, chief executive Robert Elstone believes one related question has already been answered: that there are enough good players to cover such a rise."

Sshhhhhhhhhhh Don't wake him up.

This could provoke a 20 page response!

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/super-league-now-strong-enough-to-expand-1-10000291

shhh.gif.1dc2ef891ee7391393555c61f902d681.gif

Then to come out with that statement it clearly show's that Robert Elstone's knowledge of Rugby League is somewhat amiss, in fact I would go as far to say he has no idea what he is 'kin talking about.

Rumours, counter rumours and even more rumours and counter rumours.

Latest I've heard is that if Toronto win the grand final, but can't come up with answers, London Broncos will be asked to play in Super League next season. I know i know, but just a rumour.

As a game we really are a rudderless ship at the moment.

23 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Latest I've heard is that if Toronto win the grand final, but can't come up with answers, London Broncos will be asked to play in Super League next season. I know i know, but just a rumour.

That would be crazy. I'm all for a London team but retaining them at the expense of Toronto is nonsensical.

Toronto already attract 5x times the crowds that London do whilst playing in the Championship. They have a rich backer/backers and a fantastic off field set up with plenty of sponsors where as London are entirely reliant on one person, one person who wanted to walk away a few years ago. Toronto are already rumoured to be spending near the salary cap, with no TV funding, whilst London have a spend of around £1.2 million if reports are true.

Toronto are already a Super League club in all but name where as London's setup is more akin to the Championship already.

28 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I think they confirmed the losing GF would be promoted.

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

That would be crazy. I'm all for a London team but retaining them at the expense of Toronto is nonsensical.

Toronto already attract 5x times the crowds that London do whilst playing in the Championship. They have a rich backer/backers and a fantastic off field set up with plenty of sponsors where as London are entirely reliant on one person, one person who wanted to walk away a few years ago. Toronto are already rumoured to be spending near the salary cap, with no TV funding, whilst London have a spend of around £1.2 million if reports are true.

Toronto are already a Super League club in all but name where as London's setup is more akin to the Championship already.

Agreed, but just reporting a rumour.

As things stand at the moment i wouldn't dismiss anything

7 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Done...done...and done.

Look Fellas!!!   Got me two new converts to RL Expansionism...THERE IS HOPE YET!!!

It ain't expansion in the true sense K'man, expanding the game would be to grow it in participants actually playing the game, Toronto Wolfpack is a convention that has been brought in to town to attend, when the main speaker Mr Argyle stands down or the audience have heard enough and the novelty wears off the trucks will move in pack away all the stuff and disappear into the distance.

It will not survive if there is nothing to fall back on, the true hero's of Rugby League in this country are not the money men, they just happen to polish the silver, it is those who year after year, season after season, tirelessly work away - for zilch all - introducing kids and nurturing them in this wonderful sport of ours, they are the prospectors who unearth the gems, the farmers who sow the seeds, the teachers who are so good it is the pupils who keep wanting to return to the class dragging their parents along with them, that will spread the interest.

Until this is realised and a real concerted effort is made to establish the foundations of the game - not just some produced token effort like having a player having his photo taken with a group of kids - it will not survive, you and your other country men who write on these pages keep telling us how you have the experience and expertise to grow and benefit the game, but then you all miss the fundamentals that without a strong base the building will collapse, if Toronto really want to 'expand' the game and not just put a show on, then do it, show the world your intentions are positive, the longer you leave it the more opportunity for Union to step in, they have an inbred desire to quell Rugby League, do something to stop it and 'EXPAND' the game, you know I am talking sense.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Toronto Wolfpack is a convention that has been brought in to town to attend, when the main speaker Mr Argyle stands down or the audience have heard enough and the novelty wears off the trucks will move in pack away all the stuff and disappear into the distance.

What makes you believe this? They already have more fans than most English clubs.  

20 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It ain't expansion in the true sense K'man, expanding the game would be to grow it in participants actually playing the game, Toronto Wolfpack is a convention that has been brought in to town to attend, when the main speaker Mr Argyle stands down or the audience have heard enough and the novelty wears off the trucks will move in pack away all the stuff and disappear into the distance.

It will not survive if there is nothing to fall back on, the true hero's of Rugby League in this country are not the money men, they just happen to polish the silver, it is those who year after year, season after season, tirelessly work away - for zilch all - introducing kids and nurturing them in this wonderful sport of ours, they are the prospectors who unearth the gems, the farmers who sow the seeds, the teachers who are so good it is the pupils who keep wanting to return to the class dragging their parents along with them, that will spread the interest.

Until this is realised and a real concerted effort is made to establish the foundations of the game - not just some produced token effort like having a player having his photo taken with a group of kids - it will not survive, you and your other country men who write on these pages keep telling us how you have the experience and expertise to grow and benefit the game, but then you all miss the fundamentals that without a strong base the building will collapse, if Toronto really want to 'expand' the game and not just put a show on, then do it, show the world your intentions are positive, the longer you leave it the more opportunity for Union to step in, they have an inbred desire to quell Rugby League, do something to stop it and 'EXPAND' the game, you know I am talking sense.

Its top down expansion though Harry. Something we have seen on numerous occasions is vastly more successful in North America than over here or in Europe for example. 

Increasing player participation is an aim, but not the first priority. Just raising awareness and generating interest is.

I would be as quick for me to fly to Toronto from Kent as it would be to get to Whitehaven.

And the price wouldn't be hugely different. 

Hopefully Whitehaven are told next year they won't be allowed to go up - because their location is just a bit of a pain in the a'se really.

2 minutes ago, Mark S said:

If Toronto negotiate their own TV deal with a significant value, would the SL clubs then expect a share of that?

I would have thought so, but seeing as it stands at the moment that SL clubs are reluctant to give any TV money to the TWP it would be cheeky of SL clubs to ask for any

3 minutes ago, Leonard said:

I would be as quick for me to fly to Toronto from Kent as it would be to get to Whitehaven.

Hopefully Whitehaven are told next year they won't be allowed to go up - because their location is just a bit of a pain in the a'se really.

The people who run the game in this country have a policy of making things up on the hoof

16 hours ago, Damien said:

That though had crossed my mind too. It's nonsensical and that drop in funding again will be a sure fire way that some clubs will get into trouble.

Then jolly dee, if they get into trouble it us down to pure bad management, but I suppose in your fantasy world they will also get ring fenced, by planting a special funding tree to sprout money.

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Then jolly dee, if they get into trouble it us down to pure bad management, but I suppose in your fantasy world they will also get ring fenced, by planting a special funding tree to sprout money.

I certainly don't live in a fantasy world and for some reason you seem awfully upset and tetchy. You are sounding pathetic now to be honest by not actually debating what is being said and making up your own narrative.

I am a realistic and have seen bad financial management at clubs like Leigh for as long as I can remember. Clubs getting £185,000 less in funding at very short notice at the whim of a certain club going down is a recipe for disaster.

30 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Which is even more stupid.

This is the most moronic money grab in the world that could end up costing them 2.3m. 

Why turn down Toronto at a cost of 1.8m to relegate london at a cost of 500k and promote Fev. Its laughable.

I'm sure Elstone will quote competition integrity or something. He'll probably do it with a straight face. 

2 hours ago, The Future is League said:

The people who run the game in this country have a policy of making things up on the hoof

And a long track record of looking after the traditional clubs at the cost of expansion efforts, whatever the cost to the game's image.  Just look at how they pulled the rug out from under Sheffield and Gateshead in 1999 when Sky cut back their rights payments because they failed to create a real Super League as their contract called for.

2 hours ago, Leonard said:

To be fair,I don't think the numpties running the game realise the game still exists in the area.

4 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Don't we know it!

Tommy, I consider you to be one of the more level headed contributors to these pages and I would not have expected such a response from yourself, agreed that Mr Parksider keeps elaborating the same points but the initial one's concerning Mr Perez and his presentation to the British game and British public regarding TV deals and Player production are entirely correct, those who were interested could both read and and see the video evidence, it still exists.

It was a joy to observe on these pages how many people were drum banging, singing and flag waving when Toronto set out on its country wide 'auditions' to convert 'the readymade athletes' from NA Football, it lasted a few months and people like Nobby Nobel, Paul Rowley and Simon Finnigan could see the futillity of such an excersize, so it was dropped, they could not even find converts worth taking a chance on to throw them in with team mates of seasoned professionals in Championship One, after learning that they were never or will they ever repeat that process as they have climbed up the league structure. I have said it before but coming from Leigh as I do and there being quite a few Leigh lads who I personally know involved in the first season at Toronto, some of those who assisted in the 'auditions' described to me how quickly it was realised that it would never work.

They will always be as Mr Parksider describes a group of foreigners dressed up as Canadians, and the same has to be said about the other so called to be 'expansion' teams from that continent, which brings it around nicely to the TV deal, Mr Perez also expressed that to gain a NA TV deal, multiple teams as many as 6 would be required to entice the broadcasters to put their hands in their pockets. Six new teams wanting to perform at the highest level in the British game ain't going to happen, the game in the UK cannot provide *enough player's for 12 teams without 90'ish Southern Hemisphere players being employed and the quality of a lot of those surplus to NRL requirement antipodeans is somewhat to be desired, if we are to spread out the available talent and employ more of the less than average Aussie, Kiwi and Islanders to furnish 6 more teams can you imagine the drop in quality, which would in turn drop attendances and more than likely Pay TV subscribers over here.

People from here who are wanting to establish the NA 'expansion' programme as soon as possible with the birth of multiple teams are either incapable of understanding the rudiments or are being culpably ignorant of the possible consequences, a couple of catagories that I would not place you in Tommy, albeit there are many who pen these pageson who I believe fit snuggly with those descriptions.

*according to some on here who are so called 'expansionists' they also believe we are not good enough to provide a touring squad of British player's and wish to employ three Aussies in our team, that says a lot about the British game in their opinions doesn't it.

3 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Agreed, but just reporting a rumour.

As things stand at the moment i wouldn't dismiss anything

3 hours ago, The Future is League said:

3 hours ago, Damien said:

Get up to speed guy's it was announced a couple of days ago and even commented on these pages should Toronto be denied entry it would be the other finalist who would be admitted, London are to relegated no matter what, 

Archived