Reports suggest Toronto Wolfpack not guaranteed SL place

The Daddy

1 hour ago, TboneFromTO said:

Not the biggest grumble I agree but it comes up when someone mentions their early season games in the uk as happened this year

Travel is part of sporting culture in NA though, something that appears to be lost in translation. The Toronto Maple leafs will play in Toronto one night, and 2 days later play again in San Jose California (4300ish km and 3 time zones away)

Brits don't get it, NA don't get why the Brits don't get it

And to be fair, for an NA team to join a British league, it is obvious where the biggest compromises will have to come from.

But this seasonal issue surely ain't near the top of the list of issues. Even us muppets kn here could come up with a solution!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, can anybody confirm that no sport dispensations are ever given?

If they are literally never given, it's a no on this issue and we put it to bed instantly.

If dispensations are ever given, it is a fair discussion despite the uproar.

And dispensations are reasonable enough if countries want to host top sport and entertainment.

3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes I was , 2002-2006 , as I put , it was the ' day out aspect , I genuinely enjoy visiting other clubs , the games are more difficult to win , the atmosphere is better in respect of Leigh usually taking a decent support 

No underlying reasons , nobody had upset me to the point I wouldn't go at home , just it all started feeling ' flat ' , not the same interest 

Thanks for sharing.

1 hour ago, TboneFromTO said:

You just proved that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Ice skating is more physically demanding then running

Which the smaller area requires more dead stops and starts 

If they didn't have the rolling interchanges the sport would be much slower but it's played at a sprint pace the whole match because of it

And don't get me started on the fighting

Average time spent on the ice , 27 minutes , if you want to watch fighting why not actually watch boxing , you cannot play pro RL without a clear 6/7 days between , there is a reason for that , no where near as tuff or requiring fitness than RL 

49 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

You probably can't even skate ?.  The interchanges are because ice hockey is mostly anaerobic meaning your body is gassed after 1 min of skating 100%.

Ice Hockey is a far more challenging sport than rugby of either code and it takes years of practice to become even somewhat decent at the sport and the skills required to play it.  Which is why you will never see a Rugby Player or any other football code cross over to ice hockey but there have been a number of successful Ice Hockey players that are mutlisport athletes.

Lionel Conacher and Carl Voss have their names on both the Grey Cup and the Stanley Cup.  

Who ?

3 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The cheap seats at a baseball stadium.

They’re exposed so bleach so therefore the people who sit there are said to be in the bleachers.

Ah ok ? , So this was an American survey ? , Done by people who think rounders is a blokes sport ?

1 minute ago, CanadianRugger said:

Don't be ignorant.  Tough ask I know, seeing as how you are so good at it.

So I do know the Stanley Cup is Ice Hockey because it was on an episode of ' Elementary ' , now then , the Grey Cup ? , I'm guessing Canadian Grid Iron ? 

3 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Ok using your own argument I assume you would not object if Toronto play all their early season games in places that are the same distance from Manchester that Toronto is.

Toronto to Manchester is 5491 kms.  So away games could be:

Baghdad which is 5578 kms from Manchester

Timbuktu which is 6110 kms from Manchester

Tehran which is 5836 kms from Manchester 

Omar Sharifs Oasis and Deli, Sahara Desert 5100 kms from Manchester (need 52 seater coach from nearest airport)

Any comments on my choices?

Can't imagine the time you have spent looking at maps or googling the distances and I think WHY, but if it amuses you carry on.

15 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So I do know the Stanley Cup is Ice Hockey because it was on an episode of ' Elementary ' , now then , the Grey Cup ? , I'm guessing Canadian Grid Iron ? 

Unfortunately, to their shame the owners of the Cup donated for the Rugby Football Championship of Canada turned that great Canadian forerunner of RL into a quirky variant of the US game.  Back when Lionel Conacher and Carl Voss played it was very close to RL as you can see here:

1 hour ago, CanadianRugger said:

You probably can't even skate ?.  The interchanges are because ice hockey is mostly anaerobic meaning your body is gassed after 1 min of skating 100%.

Ice Hockey is a far more challenging sport than rugby of either code and it takes years of practice to become even somewhat decent at the sport and the skills required to play it.  Which is why you will never see a Rugby Player or any other football code cross over to ice hockey but there have been a number of successful Ice Hockey players that are mutlisport athletes.

Lionel Conacher and Carl Voss have their names on both the Grey Cup and the Stanley Cup.  

Hang on , so you're using people from a 100 years ago to make a point ? , Brilliant 

16 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Unfortunately, to their shame the owners of the Cup donated for the Rugby Football Championship of Canada turned that great Canadian forerunner of RL into a quirky variant of the US game.  Back when Lionel Conacher and Carl Voss played it was very close to RL as you can see here:

Great film.  Not sure about RL though, more like 0130 outside the Printworks in Manchester.

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Ah ok ? , So this was an American survey ? , Done by people who think rounders is a blokes sport ?

Confusing rounders with baseball is far more ignorant then confusing union with league.  You're not doing yourself any favours

The bleacher report is one of the world's most popular sports news websites

At this point I know I'm feeding the troll but don't care

6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

So am I correct in thinking that you would abandon the game you favour on what you believe to be a point of principle

I know this'll probably produce more street parties than when Margaret Thatcher popped her clogs Harry but that would be the end, yes.

I won't go into explanations though as it would last longer than John Bercow's goodbye.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

4 hours ago, TboneFromTO said:

With all the talk about Toronto having home games in the UK while in super League I shall riddle you all this:

If Toronto have no fans, and the "away team" bring in the "thousands" of fans some do, then how is that a Toronto advantage?

I thought the home advantage was primarily from the crowd boost....

It's not the fan's or the attendances that will be the concern, don't forget that in this league those vying for the top or those who will be trying to stave of relegation may point out those who do not have to travel to Toronto for an away fixture and gaining that advantage just may be crying foul!

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It's not the fan's or the attendances that will be the concern, don't forget that in this league those vying for the top or those who will be trying to stave of relegation may point out those who do not have to travel to Toronto for an away fixture and gaining that advantage just may be crying foul!

That is a fair point Harry, and admittedly one I had not thought of! Fair dues on that one!

4 hours ago, TboneFromTO said:

Not the biggest grumble I agree but it comes up when someone mentions their early season games in the uk as happened this year

Travel is part of sporting culture in NA though, something that appears to be lost in translation. The Toronto Maple leafs will play in Toronto one night, and 2 days later play again in San Jose California (4300ish km and 3 time zones away)

Brits don't get it, NA don't get why the Brits don't get it

Do the fan's travel? 

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Do the fan's travel? 

Some do, I have some friends that make the trip to a new arena each year to see the leafs play, plus regular trips to Boston mtl Ottawa and buffalo

But fortunately for the nhl away fans aren't a concern, I really hope that RL gets to that stage soon. I think RL deserves to not worry about away fans.

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

What a great film, thanks 

5 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes because they play less time , they have more interchanges , they play on a smaller area and have longer breaks , and it's on slidy skates 

Good un, as we say in Leyth.

PS like in that other American sport where they wear more protection than an armadillo, and really they wear the protection to avoid injury inflicted by their opposition's protection!

Archived