Reports suggest Toronto Wolfpack not guaranteed SL place

The Daddy

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

No, thats so very wrong, a quick glance at the RLWC results, Olympic medal table or the FIFA World Cup results will tell you we are superb in international competition. 

RLWC ?

You haven't won a FIFA WC since 1966, knock it off ?

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Mr Elstone has promised to say who will be accepted or otherwise before the GF, if it happened to be TWP and Fev in the Final SL woukd not have big enough dangly bits to say both are not allowed.

I think they would Harry, wouldn't trust them with their Grannies pension book.

3 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

RLWC ?

You haven't won a FIFA WC since 1966, knock it off ?

I'd love to know what's so funny about the RLWC? Especially on a RL forum.

Yes, but you said 'a distinct lack of dominance in ALL International competition' which simply isn't correct and is a blaitant and disingenuous direct insult....it kinda looks like you've got a green eyed monster or a massive chip on your shoulder, never mind the rudeness. 

1 minute ago, Smudger06 said:

I'd love to know what's so funny about the RLWC? Especially on a RL forum.

Yes, but you said 'a distinct lack of dominance in ALL International competition' which simply isn't correct and is a blaitant and disingenuous direct insult....it kinda looks like you've got a green eyed monster or a massive chip on your shoulder, never mind the rudeness. 

Read about 4 pages up where this all started.  

People on this forum love to toss ###### at the lone Canadian club and its fans.  We don't care and like our brothers to the South, we have no problem telling you to screw off.

11 hours ago, TboneFromTO said:

I was at Fev when twp played them (actually 32 twp away games and counting)

I've been to Lamport (4 times for Canada wolverines and twp once)

I'm a man city season ticket holder

I've been to away games supporting man city

I've been to away games supporting Toronto maple leafs, Toronto argos and Toronto blue jays. 

I've been to home and away games on both continents (Europe and na)

Don't tell me what you clearly don't know about

I applaud you Tbone, so you know what it is about in RL, go on then tell me how many made the effort to go and support Toronto, I can tell you how many have been at Leigh for TWP's visits there, probably less than fifty and that is including all the sympathisers from the UK.

My post was about RL, I don't  give a flying one about the other sports, and as far as the round ball is concerned where you proudly say you have a season ticket, I find that to be the most overrated, namby pamby sport on the planet, throughout my buisness life I have been offered the best of hospitality at City, United and Liverpool on each occasion I have made an excuse of why I could not attend, because I would not insult the inviter to say in my opinion his game his Shi-ite.

It simply does not excite me your experience of other games, however commendable to yourself.

And I have probably forgotten more about Rugby League than you will ever learn in your lifetime.

4 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

Read about 4 pages up where this all started.  

People on this forum love to toss ###### at the lone Canadian club and its fans.  We don't care and like our brothers to the South, we have no problem telling you to screw off.

So your on here to tell us to screw off? Like your brothers in the South. OK, Fair enough. 

28 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I applaud you Tbone, so you know what it is about in RL, go on then tell me how many made the effort to go and support Toronto, I can tell you how many have been at Leigh for TWP's visits there, probably less than fifty and that is including all the sympathisers from the UK.

My post was about RL, I don't  give a flying one about the other sports, and as far as the round ball is concerned where you proudly say you have a season ticket, I find that to be the most overrated, namby pamby sport on the planet, throughout my buisness life I have been offered the best of hospitality at City, United and Liverpool on each occasion I have made an excuse of why I could not attend, because I would not insult the invitee to say in my opinion his game his Shi-ite.

It simply does not excite me your experience of other games, however commendable to yourself.

And I have probably forgotten more about Rugby League than you will ever learn in your lifetime.

I pay £22.50 a match for man city (second row btw)

I gladly pay more then that on average for twp games

Yes football is namby Pamby but the experience is fantastic.  I hope that RL will have to minimise away sales in my life time, because it's fantastic to watch.  More so then football, but the match day experience needs looking at

I hope to have 70 years left in my life time and the rules of RL aren't that complicated.  As a former union player (who played in high school and club and provincial sides in Canada) I'll gladly admit league is far superior.  I've been to the Leigh sports library (sorry village) twice and the experience doesn't hold a candle to what I saw at Lamport (or York, or Halifax).

The attitude that your holding is rediculous. Twp have cost rugby league nothing so far and have contributed so much.  On all sides the fans are passionate and the players give it their all (big shout to Salford who were right jerks during the match last year but the nicest bunch before and after the match) .  Why can't we just learn from eachother and evolve the experience? On the pitch RL is just as entertaining (or more so) then the other professional sports in the world, but the top tiers (NRL included) still can't pay the wages of second, and in some cases 3rd or 4th tiers of other sports. You can't argue that its fine currently when a namby Pamby soccer player (John stones who has been awfull) just signed for 7 million a year (nearly 3 times the SL salary cap)

RL may be TGG as many of us agree, but until we break that traditionalist mold it will not progress beyond the footnote that it has so sadly been relegated to.

Up the cap, let the dead die, and bring on the future

59 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

but last week I spent a good hour with some Fev fan's before the game and for a beer after it, and it was good to hear the atmosphere generated throughout the game from the teams respective fan's,

Please don't tell me you were helping them prepare those fireworks Harry (don't tell anyone else Harry)....  I knew Leigh had to be involved in that somehow....Fev fans could never have figured it out without expert guidance!

34 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

You said the exact same thing to me once before Harry Stottle!

7 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

I pay £22.50 a match for man city

I gladly pay more then that on average for twp games

RL may be TGG as many of us agree, but until we break that traditionalist mold it will not progress beyond the footnote that it has so sadly been relegated to.

Up the cap, let the dead die, and bring on the future

Listen to the facts Harry.

When we get in SL next year our Canadians are going to thump you Limeys but good.

Don't worry T-Bone its nothing that a few good hidings won't cure.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I don't think that will ever happen Tbone. 

I realise that through the information I have gleaned on these pages that in Canada and North America in particular the atmosphere and interaction between the respective supporters of the opposing teams is not of any importance, if you have never experienced it then I firmly believe you are really missing a part of what is good in sport and the game day participation and connection, it has sadly now finished for me this season, but last week I spent a good hour with some Fev fan's before the game and for a beer after it, and it was good to hear the atmosphere generated throughout the game from the teams respective fan's, all if this would be missing if we did not have visiting supporters to each other's grounds.

Now I will hide behind the couch, there have been a few games at my club that have been devoid of away fans this season most notably, TWP, T.O. and London but there have been others also, I accept that as a Championship club it happens, but it should not happen in my opinion in SL, interaction between opposing fans in Rugby League fans is great, yes sometimes it gets over exuberant, but not to often, it is useually passionate but controlled, I would not swop it for the world.

A great post.

I think it's a British and European culture having away fans travelling to games. 

17 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Rugger fan...

Don't even know what that means dude.  I love both codes of Rugby.  Have always been a fan of NRL, I'll watch the English game as long as TWP are in it.  Turned off by some of the fans though.

36 minutes ago, Niels said:

I think it's a British and European culture having away fans travelling to games. 

Mostly because the distances tend to be shorter.

Harry's a bit off the mark in claiming that away fans "aren't of any importance" in North America. It depends on the sport and the teams and the timing. Large crowds of Yankees fans and Red Sox fans come up to Toronto from New York and Boston to watch the Blue Jays, partly because they can get a good weekend break and partly because their own grounds are often sold out. Before the Montreal Expos were sold down the river, the Toronto v Montreal derby was a fantastic road trip and the game was an absolute hoot.

When the Blue Jays play in Seattle, way the heck and gone on the other side of the continent, there's a mass invasion of Jays fans from Vancouver. I've travelled with my son to away baseball games in New York, Seattle, Chicago and Detroit, and been warmly welcomed by home fans each time.

Wolfpack fans go out of their way to greet, thank, and have beer(s) with UK and French fans who visit Lamport because we understand how much effort and cost they've put in. We love their cheers, their flags, and their saucy bonhomie.

I think the point isn't that "we don't get it". The point is that away fans can't be relied upon in North America as a big source of revenue.

3 minutes ago, Loup said:

Mostly because the distances tend to be shorter.

Harry's a bit off the mark in claiming that away fans "aren't of any importance" in North America. It depends on the sport and the teams and the timing. Large crowds of Yankees fans and Red Sox fans come up to Toronto from New York and Boston to watch the Blue Jays, partly because they can get a good weekend break and partly because their own grounds are often sold out. Before the Montreal Expos were sold down the river, the Toronto v Montreal derby was a fantastic road trip and the game was an absolute hoot.

When the Blue Jays play in Seattle, way the heck and gone on the other side of the continent, there's a mass invasion of Jays fans from Vancouver. I've travelled with my son to away baseball games in New York, Seattle, Chicago and Detroit, and been warmly welcomed by home fans each time.

Wolfpack fans go out of their way to greet, thank, and have beer(s) with UK and French fans who visit Lamport because we understand how much effort and cost they've put in. We love their cheers, their flags, and their saucy bonhomie.

I think the point isn't that "we don't get it". The point is that away fans can't be relied upon in North America as a big source of revenue.

They aren't in the UK , it is just a myth created by certain SL bosses to disguise their actual thoughts 

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Rugger fan...

Rugger over here for many people means RL...comes from the old Andy Capp comics.

P,S.,  Andy was a working man so I just assume he was playing league?

andy_capp.jpg

31 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Rugger over here for many people means RL...comes from the old Andy Capp comics.

P,S.,  Andy was a working man so I just assume he was playing league?

andy_capp.jpg

Top player Andy , too many fags and beer to make the big time though

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

They aren't in the UK , it is just a myth created by certain SL bosses to disguise their actual thoughts 

I think they are important in any sport here. Certainly rugby league.

In the championship clubs with a large away following, Leigh, Bradford, Featherstone are much appreciated by the chairmen.

That's not to criticise Toronto, who attract a lot of neutral supporters and curious locals.

The financial margins are so narrow that any supporters in addition to home fans are welcomed, whatever the home gate.

It must be the same in Super League. 

42 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

Yep I am, player as well.  League is a great sport, minus a certain segment of toxic fan ?

Not a lot more toxic on a RL site than mocking the RLWC. Maybe look in the mirror......

Of course, there's no such toxicity in Union. Or other sports.

Archived