Total Rugby League Fans Forum
The Daddy

Reports suggest Toronto Wolfpack not guaranteed SL place

11 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

7000 mile round trip was fine for league 1 and championship clubs.

You know Toronto is south of the UK right?

It's hardly subarctic, just has harsh winters.

Thankfully we have the Gulf Stream to warm our stadia in winter and the spring...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Well around 60 million live within 6 hours drive of Leigh , so there 😂

and 59, 997,000 watch on Sky rather than getting their behinds out to the pitch. So what?

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Well around 60 million live within 6 hours drive of Leigh , so there 😂

59.97 million wish it was further 

• Haha 3

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

2 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

and 59, 997,000 watch on Sky rather than getting their behinds out to the pitch. So what?

When you've asked Jayme 2020 what relevance his post had , I'll answer your post to me 

I’ve got absolutely no problem with the Super League wanting assurances from clubs outside of Super League of finances to compete in the competition over 5-10+ years. It shouldn’t just be a Toronto thing, it should be the same questions asked of York, Fev and Toulouse. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

What I do find strange is , what questions did they ask last year ?

“Do you have any gravy to go with my pie, David?”

”Yes, Ralph”.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, cookey said:

So which aspects require clarification?

They don't seem to have worked that out yet.

From another report - 

At the same time, of course, Championship leaders Toronto Wolfpack are intent on earning the solitary promotion spot to replace London Broncos who were relegated at the weekend.

Elstone conceded Super League and the RFL are still seeking assurances the Canadian outfit will meet minimum standards for entry - but any decision will be made before the Championship play-off final.

“If Toronto win the right to be promoted then they have to meet minimum standards,” he said.

“We're talking to the RFL about what those standards look like, and we're seeking a number of assurances from them.

“We're still in dialogue with the RFL and it's important we get assurances well before promotion is secured on the pitch.

“It's a dialogue which started in July and we're getting close to an understanding on where they are as a club.

“What we can't do is make the decision after promotion on the pitch, it has to be done in advance of that."

French side Toulouse Olympique are also in the running for promotion.

Elstone added: “Toulouse will be asked to comply with minimum standards but there are a number of different concerns and issues relating to Toronto.

“There are some things we're seeking answers on that we don't feel we need to with Toulouse.

“That's not to say there's an anti-Toronto agenda, but the circumstances are different.”

Source - https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/super-league-boss-robert-elstone-admits-we-re-playing-too-many-games-and-it-needs-to-change-1-9998841

They make British politicians look decent.Since July... and they still don't know what the minimum requirements are meant to be.

• Like 3

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I’ve got absolutely no problem with the Super League wanting assurances from clubs outside of Super League of finances to compete in the competition over 5-10+ years. It shouldn’t just be a Toronto thing, it should be the same questions asked of York, Fev and Toulouse. 

Maybe the same questions could also be asked of the current incumbents? Be some interesting answers there......

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Maybe the same questions could also be asked of the current incumbents? Be some interesting answers there......

Yes but we know it doesn't work like that 

If London meet the minimum standards, then I can't see how Toronto do not. Strangely, there wasn't this talk last year about whether Toronto hit the minimum standard (that I can recall). Have there been new standards introduced?

• Like 2

Twitter: @TrylineBlog 
Latest Blog: #GBRLLIONS - It's over...you can open your eyes now - https://thetryline.blogspot.com/2019/11/international-wrap-7-gbrllions-its.html

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

What I do find strange is , what questions did they ask last year ?

100,000 Wolfpack fans are asking the same question.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

At the same time, of course, Championship leaders Toronto Wolfpack are intent on earning the solitary promotion spot to replace London Broncos who were relegated at the weekend.

Elstone conceded Super League and the RFL are still seeking assurances the Canadian outfit will meet minimum standards for entry - but any decision will be made before the Championship play-off final.

“If Toronto win the right to be promoted then they have to meet minimum standards,” he said.

“We're talking to the RFL about what those standards look like, and we're seeking a number of assurances from them.

“We're still in dialogue with the RFL and it's important we get assurances well before promotion is secured on the pitch.

“It's a dialogue which started in July and we're getting close to an understanding on where they are as a club.

“What we can't do is make the decision after promotion on the pitch, it has to be done in advance of that."

Elstone added: “Toulouse will be asked to comply with minimum standards but there are a number of different concerns and issues relating to Toronto.

“There are some things we're seeking answers on that we don't feel we need to with Toulouse.

“That's not to say there's an anti-Toronto agenda, but the circumstances are different.”

Because this is the definitive case study of how a "serious organisation comprised of some well-funded clubs led by smart, successful businessmen" conducts itself. Less than three weeks before the playoff final, and they appear to have absolutely no clue what they are doing.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

They don't seem to have worked that out yet.

From another report - 

Source - https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/super-league-boss-robert-elstone-admits-we-re-playing-too-many-games-and-it-needs-to-change-1-9998841

They make British politicians look decent.Since July... and they still don't know what the minimum requirements are meant to be.

Its utterly laughable and completely absurd.

What if they'd won the play off last year? Surely all that was sorted then?

If not, it's even more embarrassing that they let them play the game without knowing whether they were playing for a promotion spot.

Lucky old Super League that London beat them to it. 

• Like 6

I reckon they've spent most of the year seeking legal advice about the risks of reneging on an agreement made before their little lads club was formed.

They've likely been counselled that to do so, will not only expose the game to world-wide ridicule, it will reveal in glorious technicolor their total lack of integrity and (probably) incur costs and damages so gross it would bankrupt every club in the organisation.

I can't wait to see how it pans out. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fighting irish said:

I reckon they've spent most of the year seeking legal advice about the risks of reneging on an agreement made before their little lads club was formed.

They've likely been counselled that to do so, will not only expose the game to world-wide ridicule, it will reveal in glorious technicolor their total lack of integrity and (probably) incur costs and damages so gross it would bankrupt every club in the organisation.

I can't wait to see how it pans out.

It all shows just how small time the so-called "Super League" is.

• Like 2

I've read that statement by Elstone and it's appalling. That's not the game I've followed, played, refereed and coached for most of my life. We play hard, but we play fair. Toronto have put in the hard graft, the cash, and have got the results on the pitch thus far. They've played by the rules, and if they win, then the rules say they're entitled to join SL.

To change the rules three weeks before the final, in a blatant attempt to try to exclude them, is disgusting. I don't care what the motives are, whether it's naked self-interest or just the cringing timidity which has long crippled rugby league in this country. Toronto have played by the rules and they've earned their place. That's it. 

If Elstone and his SL chairmen find a way to exclude Toronto after they've done everything asked of them and more, then I for one will walk away from the game I've supported and contributed to for more than 30 years. I want no part of such an underhand, dishonest act as seems to be flagged up here. No more money from me for RL, and I'll also write to SKY and tell them exactly why I'm cancelling my subscription, and recommend they cut their losses with the sort of small-time tuppenny operation which would even consider pulling this sort of fraud.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Big Picture said:

It all shows just how small time the so-called "Super League" is.

If it’s so ‘small time’ then why the desire to be part of it?

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

14 minutes ago, Manx RL said:

If it’s so ‘small time’ then why the desire to be part of it?

That's a question which David Argyle and his partners might well be asking themselves at this point.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Loup said:

100,000 Wolfpack fans are asking the same question.

Everybody knows that this is a blatant attempt at a fleece job!....I say Toronto call their bluff...its a straight backroom markup no doubt...

Don't make Argyle have to make that phone call...it will not go in the favour of SL.  The long term future of the entire game could be at stake here.

SL needs to be 'needy not greedy'.

1 minute ago, krakauer said:

I'd love to say that sometime... but Elstone!!

Bush League!

First, we have to assume SLE Ltd ordinary shareholders could get a 7-5 or more vote in favour of not allowing TWP access to SL. (6-6 & the RFL would surely break the tie in favour of TWP)

If we assume this we must then assume that SLE Ltd has a strong legal basis for blocking TWP from SL as to do so without would certainly lead to Legal Action taken against them by TWP.

There are genuine concerns around the Sustainability of TWP's own travel & accommodation costs. (Major Sponsorship Renewal / Replacement needed, to the value of approximately £850,000 per season assuming TWP play 14 Games in the Greater Toronto Area)

If a sponsorship deal isn't done to cover air travel, Argyle is gonna need to stick in the cash up front based on his refusal to pay for anything out of his own pocket except Player pay previously.

• Like 1