What if Salford actually won the Grand Final?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they won the Grand Final, the immediate reaction of some folks on here and the handful of Swinton - sorry Manchester - fans who still believe there's some kind of rivalry between the clubs (well, I suppose there is, but it's all one way, much like the 'rivalry' between the hedgehog and the motor car: for one of them it's a big deal, for the other it's "Did I hear a bump back then?") would be

spacer.png

Salford would then enter a honeymoon period during which they would no longer be the preferred club to be sacrificed by the "strap on a blindfold, throw darts at a map of North America and call it an expansion plan" people on here. That mantle would pass to Wakefield and Huddersfield.

After a few years, normal service will be resumed, with a "well they failed to capitalise on it" shrug of the shoulders.

Dreams can come true.

Back in the day who would have thought Salford would end Wigan's years of Challenge Cup victories - 1st round if I recall

On the big nights players can freeze, fail under pressure and as a Saints fan refs fail to refer definate tries to the video ref.

Would be good to see one of the outsiders get to the final although given my loyalties not win it this year !!

14 minutes ago, headtackle said:

and as a Saints fan refs fail to refer definate tries to the video ref.

Why would you refer something that is definite to a video referee?

If you’re sure then you wouldn’t need to use the VR would you?   I’m sure we’ve seen this conversation on a thread before, too.   In fact I’m so sure of that I’ll check it with somebody ??

Let’s put this one to bed...

It would be great for the game to have a new name on the trophy, even a new team in the Grand Final, and Watson deserves great credit for the job he has done at Salford. Though if they do win the Grand Final would the AJ Bell be seen as a suitable stadoum for the WWC or would there be a chance that the game could be staged at Old Trafford.

The downside would be the 50 page should we have playoffs thread as it would be all Salfords fault that Saints failed to win the Grand Final.

Just now, Liverpool Rover said:

Watson deserves great credit for the job he has done at Salford

Indeed. I had Chris Chester ahead of him at the start of the year, but with the changes to the playing roster and adversity at Salford, Watson has achieved miracles.   If they don’t have the legs to get all the way to OT it would be fantastic to see them get a cup win next year.

I'd be delighted if Salford win the championship this year. There's too much strategising and self-analysing in Rugby League and sometimes we need to remember what it is we're all here for: the unpredictably and excitement of sport. A new and totally unexpected winner of the title would hopefully give us a brief reminder of that. And I'll definitely get tickets in the Salford end to watch them, and to see Lolohea win the Harry Sunderland ?

5 hours ago, Big Red Keev said:

I would point the finger for bad planning, but in all seriousness who could have predicted that we would be in with a sniff.

I actually changed our initial wedding date 5 years ago because it fell on Challenge Cup final day.

It seems I was a bit of a dreamer even back then really mate.

I’m sure the missus didn’t mind. I took my missus for a weekend in Perpignan a couple of years back. She couldn’t understand why I had chosen there!

1 minute ago, johnh1 said:

I’m sure the missus didn’t mind. I took my missus for a weekend in Perpignan a couple of years back. She couldn’t understand why I had chosen there!

For my Coral wedding anniversary next August I've suggested the Great Barrier Reef.  Obviously with a few days in Sydney and Brisbane on either side.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

22 hours ago, Big Red Keev said:

This is by no means an assumption of anything, I'm aware there is an awful lot of Rugby to be played with some good teams in and around us and one truly exceptional one in Saints.

However a morning of semi day dreaming whilst working from home has had me pondering the potential implications, both for my club and the wider Super League, of such a thing and where it would stand in the list of all time sporting underdog success stories.

I understand I'm probably just inviting a lot of Salford bashing, but considering this is the first time in the best part of 4 decades that Salford even have the remotest chance of challenging I'm genuinely interested to get others take on it.

Obviously I'm fully aware that its never going to happen, but y'know, what if it did?

You are George Keever and I claim my £20!

1 hour ago, Big Red Keev said:

Ha maybe just a fiver.

Hes my Dad.

1 hour ago, Big Red Keev said:

Ha maybe just a fiver.

Hes my Dad.

Tell your Dad that they moved me from Rampton to Wormwood Scrubs recently  and that I’ve only got another 17 years to go before I can apply for parole, and all this just because I said in public that Salford might win the Grand Final one day.

Also, ask him about the time he meet Jack Benny in the London North Western on Cross Lane in Salford.

Bye bye for now, as I have to slop out

20 hours ago, Big Red Keev said:

Ha maybe just a fiver.

Hes my Dad.

Gud Keever's your Dad?

So did you ask him this question,

What if Salford actually won the Grand Final?

or is he still too busy at the Stretford End?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On 12/09/2019 at 22:36, Henson Park Old Firm said:

i think this is the year for a new "first time" SL winner

It would be good to see Salford win it instead of the usual suspects. The SL hierarchy might not think so though! And Watson should definitely get the Coach of the Year for me.

In the unlikely event that Jackson Hastings hasn't actually signed a contract for Wigan Warriors,I would like to see Salford prove to Jackson Hastings that they can win silverware.

Be excellent for Hastings and,of course,the Salford supporters.

I would like to see them win it... 

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Archived