Who's Staying and Who's Going?

Wolford6

Andrew Chalmers has released this info to the Bradford Telegraph  and Argus:

Leaving:

Ethan Ryan takes up his Super League contract with Hull KR.  Other players released from our first team squad include: Matt Garside, Ashley Gibson, Callum Bustin, Jon Magrin, Matty Wildie, Dalton Grant and James Green.

Staying: Fourteen first team players : Matthew Storton, Connor Farrell, Evan Hodgson, Steve Crossley (captain), Thomas Doyle, Elliot Minchella, Rowan Milnes, Jordan Lilley, Joe Keyes, Jake Webster, Brandon Pickersgill, Jy Hitchcox, David Foggin-Johnson and Joe Brown.

Arriving: In discussions with John Kear, we expect to complete the signings of up to another nine first team players, once the RFL approves our 2020 budget and total player spend. We expect this to be completed and announced in the coming weeks.

No mention of Rhys Evans, Ross Peltier, George Flanagan, Mikey Wood, Sam Hallas, Cobi Green, Colton  Roche and Liam Kirk.

I think the release of Callum Bustin, Matty Wildie and James Green is a mistake. Matt Garside hasn't had fair crack of the whip all season and, as a semi-pro, will be a great player at this level for someone else.Before the season started, I had doubts about Matty Wildie but he's been great for us.

It would be good for other board members to post comments and details of their own clubs' ins and outs.

Whatever happens, the Championship will be great next season.  ?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

Andrew Chalmers has released this info to the Bradford Telegraph  and Argus:

Leaving:

Ethan Ryan takes up his Super League contract with Hull KR.  Other players released from our first team squad include: Matt Garside, Ashley Gibson, Callum Bustin, Jon Magrin, Matty Wildie, Dalton Grant and James Green.

Staying: Fourteen first team players : Matthew Storton, Connor Farrell, Evan Hodgson, Steve Crossley (captain), Thomas Doyle, Elliot Minchella, Rowan Milnes, Jordan Lilley, Joe Keyes, Jake Webster, Brandon Pickersgill, Jy Hitchcox, David Foggin-Johnson and Joe Brown.

Arriving: In discussions with John Kear, we expect to complete the signings of up to another nine first team players, once the RFL approves our 2020 budget and total player spend. We expect this to be completed and announced in the coming weeks.

No mention of Rhys Evans, Ross Peltier, George Flanagan, Mikey Wood, Sam Hallas, Cobi Green, Colton  Roche and Liam Kirk.

I think the release of Callum Bustin, Matty Wildie and James Green is a mistake. Matt Garside hasn't had fair crack of the whip all season and, as a semi-pro, will be a great player at this level for someone else.Before the season started, I had doubts about Matty Wildie but he's been great for us.

It would be good for other board members to post comments and details of their own clubs' ins and outs.

Whatever happens, the Championship will be great next season.  ?

For "released" you could also say taking up contracts elsewhere or just "leaving". Otherwise it does sound a bit pompous; not something that I would associate with Andrew Chalmers.

It was common knowledge some time ago that Wildie had been offered a much better deal, for example.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

Some of those will be among the nine that will get re-signed. At a guess I'd say Kirk, Peltier, Wood and possibly Evans.

Clubs always have a turnover at this time of the year, I don't really see anything out of the ordinary going on here.

Yeah, some of these will most likely be unable to re-sign due to the embargo.  Presumably as soon as that's lifted then some of these names will be inked in.  Not fussed about George (bit sick of his antics and misses too many games for stupid reasons) but the rest are good to stay for me.  In particular Hallas and Kirk with Peltz and Wood a close third.  Green I don't know much about, only seen fleetingly.

We need a good quality hooker for next season.  We've struggled all season in that position.  George I've mentioned and Wildie isn't really a hooker for me.  Catches the eye with some darts but not great at the meat and drink of the dummy half role.  I'd like to see an experienced hooker brought in and Doyle given plenty of game time.

Released: Matt Garside, Ashley Gibson, Callum Bustin, Jon Magrin, Matty Wildie, Dalton Grant and James Green.

Fairly clear that Kear doesn't rate Magrin and probably thinks that Bustin hasn't got anything beyond a strong carry.  Gibson isn't dynamic enough - I'm more likely to get a pass off him stood on the terrace than his winger is.  Garside (Fax I believe) is a good player at this level and I'm surprised he's not been retained.  But he has found it difficult to break into the team with Farrell, Minchella and Storton all clearly in front of him. Green (York?) hmmm... mixed feelings.  He's a good strong runner and brings the mongrel, but lacks footwork and hardly ever breaks the line.  There are more effective props out there but he has been good for us.  Like Garside Grant can't get in if others are fit.  But with Ethan going to KR I'd have thought he'd stay.  Maybe the travelling is a factor also.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

HALIFAX RLFC

Some big changes made ( and needed) at Fax.  Last year saw many players fail to fire. A number of key players missed a large section of the season due to injury and the team just struggled to gel and play anywhere near expected. Big season coming up for Simon Grix, as many people still unsure on him as he didnt really impress after taking over from Richard Marshall. He has made 2 signings so far with various others rumoured to be close to signing. 18 players are set to stay and play in 2020 for Fax.

STAYING

Ed Barber, Will Calcott, Reece Chapman-Smith , Connor Davies ,Curtis Davies, Jacob Fairbank, Dan Fleming, Sion Jones, Ben Kavanagh, Kevin Larroyer, Conor McGrath, Brandon Moore, Elliot Morris, Scott Murrell, Shaun Robinson, James Saltonstall, Steve Tyrer, James Woodburn-Hall

IN (2)

Jodie Broughton (Catalan Dragons)- Great signing IF he stays fit!

Tom Gilmore (Widnes)- Half back signing that will replace Ben Johnson. Didnt have a great season, but played for England knight just 2 years ago. Maybe a new club with not so many problems as what Widnes had last year will help him re discover his form.

OUT (12)

Ben Johnson (York)-Missed much of the season. Is very much a ball running halfback. Has no real organizing skils or much of a kicking game. Think its best for both him and the club he moved on.

Liam Cooper (Widnes)-Young Backrower that was never outstanding but did OK when he did play. A useful signing for Widnes.

Chester Butler (Huddersfield)-Missed again much of the season due to injuries etc and didnt have a great year. Has potential, but needs to be far more consistant than he has shown.

Adam Tagata (Wakefield)-Has potential and wanted to test himself in SL. Quality player in the Championship.

QLT (Newcastle)- Just was a bit failure and didnt really do any thing all season and was why he was allowed to go to Newcastle just after the Cup Semi than in the off season

Will Sharp is allegedly going to York. A veteran and maybe lacking in pace, but never commitment. Strong powerful runner.

Ben Kaye has retired and will be missed both on and off the field.

Simon Grix is another who has retired.

Shaun Grady has allegedly signed for Widnes. Has again missed many games over the past 2 years due to injury. Will always give 100% and is a great player when fit

Harry Kidd, Adam Brook, Jordan Syme have all been on the edges of the first team, but failed to play more than the odd game. They often ended up playing on loan elsewhere in the season.

56 minutes ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

HALIFAX RLFC

Will Sharp is allegedly going to York. A veteran and maybe lacking in pace, but never commitment. Strong powerful runner.

He was at the Featherstone Vs Toulouse match, I've heard a rumour he's coming back. Good player, think he's got another year or two left in him.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

1 hour ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Ben Kaye has retired and will be missed both on and off the field.

Missed this - that is a crying shame. Ben is a cracking person, who was never the greatest but you knew you'd get 100% out of him each week. 

I'll miss his celebrations after a good tackle or try.

Shame there's not more characters like him.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

Think it's time Micky higham retired,great player but I think leigh are asking too much of him to do another season. Kev brown is off to Salford but I'm sure sweaty will be along shortly to tell us all about the hush hush signing that will BLOW our tiny minds,my guess is Ged Byrne or andy currie 

39 minutes ago, Southerner said:

I remember watching him at the stoop looked like the next big thing but too many errors with ball in hand.

Remember the game v Catalans at The Stoop when he broke down the middle, no player within 20m of him and he literally dropped the ball !

Fev
Current players confirmed as signed for next year
Dane Chisholm
James Lockwood
Josh Hardcastle
Brad Day
John Davies
Jack Bussey
James Harrison
Luke Cooper
Jack Render
Dakota Whylie

New signings already announced:
Thomas Minns (Hull KR via a brief spell at York)
Louis Jouffret (Batley)
Alec Susino Barrow)

Club officials state we have three more signings to be announced in the coming weeks

Confirmed as leaving
Jack Ormondroyd (Salford)
Connor Jones (Salford)

Of the remaining current squad...
No news on Cam King but reportedly looking to get back into the NRL.
Josh Walters has long been rumoured as heading to London but no confirmation on that yet.

No official news yet on:
Scott Wheeldon, Makahesi Makatoa, Conor Carey, Jack Johnson and the recently-signed Jake Spedding.

There's little doubt that we will again be using the DR arrangement with Leeds too.

Ryan Carr will continue as coach in the second year of his two-year contract.

As an aside, there's loads of info on this thread about Bradford, but nobody has added that they are planning to go down the DR route too.

On 14/09/2019 at 10:29, Scubby said:

Is he being kept on the building site or released for 2020?

He's a joiner so I expect that he'll be "joining" a new building site whenever the current one he is working on is completed. I wood too.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

On 13/09/2019 at 13:37, Lounge Room Lizard said:

I played with him at South London Storm when he first moved to london, he was rapid and had brilliant vision, fantastic guy as well. Loved playing in the same team as him... but i;ve suddenly taken a massive dislike to you LRL for calling him a bloody veteran and making me feel like i'm about 100!!! ?

On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 13:37, Lounge Room Lizard said:

HALIFAX RLFC

OUT (12)

Liam Cooper (Widnes)-Young Backrower that was never outstanding but did OK when he did play. A useful signing for Widnes.

Cooper was outstanding all through his Academy days at Saints but then seemed to get quickly overtaken by others coming through and getting into the first team. He just never seemed to be able to make that next step up

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Archived