Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Man of Kent

Swinton (Merged Threads)

Recommended Posts

I simply don't know where to start........I've come to the conclusion that certain 'rugby league fans' want to keep the sport small time. Congratulations to them. 

  • Like 21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe this! I'm literally listening to this podcast about all their great ideas and why they did the name change and somehow the section of disease of the game fans get what they want.

Oldest club in the game about to die.

https://audioboom.com/posts/7367713-the-full-eighty-minutes-episode-46

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Krzzystuff said:

I can't believe this! I'm literally listening to this podcast about all their great ideas and why they did the name change and somehow the section of disease of the game fans get what they want.

Oldest club in the game about to die.

https://audioboom.com/posts/7367713-the-full-eighty-minutes-episode-46

Yep it's off.

 

Screenshot_20190913-165326_Samsung Internet.jpg

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol this is honestly a depressing website/forum. Haven't been on because I've been busy and after briefly talking to k-man at the last game I thought I'd come back. Nothing positive has come to my life the past two days.

A great game like this doesn't deserve to have fans like it does, deserves so much better.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

I can't believe this! I'm literally listening to this podcast about all their great ideas and why they did the name change and somehow the section of disease of the game fans get what they want.

Oldest club in the game about to die.

https://audioboom.com/posts/7367713-the-full-eighty-minutes-episode-46

This is basically how the sport is in the UK. You have progressive people who commit time and figure out what type of change needs to happen for a club or the sport to move forward. But then you have a vocal minority who simply don't want to change and wants the sport to be played in the same villages as if the world hasn't changed in the past 40 years. The RL community is eating away at itself. One only has to look at the recent financial report from Wigan to see the challenges that the sport faces.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Krzzystuff said:

lol this is honestly a depressing website/forum. Haven't been on because I've been busy and after briefly talking to k-man at the last game I thought I'd come back. Nothing positive has come to my life the past two days.

A great game like this doesn't deserve to have fans like it does, deserves so much better.

I'm sorry to hear that is how you feel. It's been great having new supporters on from Canada, but as I mentioned in my previous post, there is an incredibly negative attitude in RL and dare I even say some of the towns it's played in. This is something that needs challenging head on if the sport is to move forward. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

lol this is honestly a depressing website/forum. Haven't been on because I've been busy and after briefly talking to k-man at the last game I thought I'd come back. Nothing positive has come to my life the past two days.

A great game like this doesn't deserve to have fans like it does, deserves so much better.

Don't give in to the negativity!...stay positive!...change is going to happen to the game in the next few years in a big way...the clueless ones must be ignored...we must plow forward with expansion...if that means steamrolling the Naysayers then so be it.

The Naysayers are not more important than the health of the game....if they must be crushed they will be.....hopefully some of them come to a form of common sense and start supporting  our game rather than pulling it down..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Lost for words. Sad day..

This is the sad reality that constant negative energy creates for our game.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terrible news. The article says that the major of Salford and local councillors have objected to the change. As far as I am aware these people have done nothing constructive to get the club a ground in Swinton over the last 30 years. Attitudes like this and the insular morons who have made the abusive threats are a cancer that will slowly kill the game if not addressed.

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

 then you have a vocal minority who simply don't want to change and wants the sport to be played in the same villages as if the world hasn't changed in the past 40 years. 

... in the case of 'Swinton', they don't even play in their own 'village' 😉

They are clinging to a tradition that hasn't even existed for about 30 years!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

St Marks (Gorton) became Manchester City

Woolwich Arsenal became just Arsenal 

Newton Heath became Manchester United

We can’t keep living in the past we have to move forward

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

St Marks (Gorton) became Manchester City

Woolwich Arsenal became just Arsenal 

Newton Heath became Manchester United

We can’t keep living in the past we have to move forward

Newcastle West end and Newcastle East end merged to form Newcastle United. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Newcastle West end and Newcastle East end merged to form Newcastle United. 

Or Warrington Zingari and Leeds St. John’s. Newcastle Thunders name change from Gateshead seems to have been a success

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if this is anything to do with the loan that Swinton owed to the council that someone mentioned on the other Swinton thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an outsider I simply don’t get what the big deal was about changing the name.

This isn’t to knock the club or anything like that, but let’s be honest for a second, the Swinton Lions are supported by two men and a dog, and realistically the club isn’t going anywhere (but to the grave) without appealing to a broader audience.

So taking the clubs situation into consideration it’s strange to me that there is a large contingent at the club that opposes the change, surely they can see that if the club doesn’t try to change that not only will it never achieve any real success, but that it’ll probably die in a generation or so.

So is it that those that oppose the change simply oppose this change and have other ideas to attempt to revive the club, or are they just opposed to change full stop, and are simply delusional about the situation the club is actually in?

The other thing that doesn’t make sense to me is that considering that the club is so small, and realistically any opposition to them will be made up of a small group of people, why don’t the directors just push on ahead and see how things turn out?

It’s not like they have a mob of thousands ready to burn down their houses or anything, so just push ahead with the plan and leave the dinosaurs behind to go extinct. Pandering to their demands is simply allowing them to take you down with them.

So yeah as an Australian the whole situation is very confusing to me because everybody seems to be behaving totally irrationally.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I first heard about the change I thought it was a dismal idea, as a traditionalist, but after I heard their chairman in a couple of podcasts and saw the new badge I thought it was great. Shame it’s not happening now as a fan of the game, but as I’m not a fan of the club I can’t really comment on how they should feel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

https://swintonlionsrlfc.co.uk/news/board-statement/

The Swinton board has resigned with immediate effect following opposition to the Manchester Lions name change proposals.

The name change is the least of the problems there, really.

End of the club seems the most likely outcome. Still, at least those who killed it can claim they stayed pure and probably find a way of blaming Sky.

  • Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keeping traditions is important and I do understand SOME Swinton fans not being happy. But they need to look at the reality that Swinton cant survive, like much of the game without some big changes that are needed. The Council have done nothing to help Swinton  over the years and still have nothing to offer. The Swinton fan base is around 500 and made up of mainly fans over 40 years old.Swintons future is bleak if it stays as it is. Sad but true. The name change would not have made any difference. The change in attitude and the possibility to sell and promote the club to a new and younger audience both in fans as well as sponsorship etc would have and needed to happen for me. Its just a shame some fans cant see that and even worse feel the need to threaten people-this happened at Halifax a few years ago with Tony Gartland and the club has not recovered since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just....wow....such a shame

Why don't the fans buy the club if the name seems so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The name change is the least of the problems there, really.

End of the club seems the most likely outcome. Still, at least those who killed it can claim they stayed pure and probably find a way of blaming Sky.

Not necessarily. The Trust may find a way to keep it alive but, yes, they aren’t going to  be challenging for promotion to Super League any time soon.

Playing devil’s advocate, maybe Mazey realised that a mere name change isn’t going to have people flocking to Sale? 

And of course the door is seemingly now open to another Manchester side.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I think about this the nuttier it is.

I mean, Hudds fans presumably still chant Fartown at their team?

From football, I know that Rugby Town fans still call their team 'Valley' even though they haven't been VS in years.

Nothing would stop any supporter of Manchester Lions shouting for Swinton. Nothing.

Goddam them all to heck.

  • Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Man of Kent said:

Not necessarily. The Trust may find a way to keep it alive but, yes, they aren’t going to  be challenging for promotion to Super League any time soon.

Playing devil’s advocate, maybe Mazey realised that a mere name change isn’t going to have people flocking to Sale? 

And of course the door is seemingly now open to another Manchester side.

The name change was obviously part of a package. Whether that was a good package or not was open to debate but it was part of a process.

I thought the other Manchester side had disbanded their semi professional set up?


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

As an outsider I simply don’t get what the big deal was about changing the name.

This isn’t to knock the club or anything like that, but let’s be honest for a second, the Swinton Lions are supported by two men and a dog, and realistically the club isn’t going anywhere (but to the grave) without appealing to a broader audience.

So taking the clubs situation into consideration it’s strange to me that there is a large contingent at the club that opposes the change, surely they can see that if the club doesn’t try to change that not only will it never achieve any real success, but that it’ll probably die in a generation or so.

So is it that those that oppose the change simply oppose this change and have other ideas to attempt to revive the club, or are they just opposed to change full stop, and are simply delusional about the situation the club is actually in?

The other thing that doesn’t make sense to me is that considering that the club is so small, and realistically any opposition to them will be made up of a small group of people, why don’t the directors just push on ahead and see how things turn out?

It’s not like they have a mob of thousands ready to burn down their houses or anything, so just push ahead with the plan and leave the dinosaurs behind to go extinct. Pandering to their demands is simply allowing them to take you down with them.

So yeah as an Australian the whole situation is very confusing to me because everybody seems to be behaving totally irrationally.

Andy Mazey's range rover was stolen during the week. Not sure if it's connected 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...