Swinton (Merged Threads)

I had heard from a very reliable source (a director of another club), that Swinton were in serious financial trouble prior to the announcement of the name change.

I find it very hard to believe that the entire board would leave the club after such a trivial matter. 

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

I find it very hard to believe that the entire board would leave the club after such a trivial matter.

Mazey was abused online and in person, had his car stolen and had to have a body guard at the most recent home game. Threats were also recieved. 

I'd hardly call it trivial.

1 hour ago, DOGFATHER said:

I had heard from a very reliable source (a director of another club), that Swinton were in serious financial trouble prior to the announcement of the name change.

Seems very reliable....

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/swinton-chairman-lifts-lid-abuse-20065313

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Tis but thy name that is my enemy:
Thou art thyself, though not a Swintonian
What’s Swinton. It is not hand nor foot,
Nor arm nor face. O be some other name,
belonging to a man!
What’s in a name? That which we call a rose,
By any other word would smell as sweet.

I can understand the emotional attachment to the Swinton name. But for this to end because of threats to the Board is disgraceful. The people involved deserve whatever happens to the club from here. The plain facts are that the club has not been a major force in the game since the 1960's and has not even been playing in Swinton since Station Road was sold off. It would have been good to see this once great club rise to the top again but sadly they are now closer to extinction or at best survive as a bottom division feeder club.

This quote from the Mirror is telling-

He added: “This is a warning for the sport as a whole. There have been good people, respected individuals get involved in rugby league at Swinton but they’ve been frightened away through some people’s actions.”

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Mazey was abused online and in person, had his car stolen and had to have a body guard at the most recent home game. Threats were also recieved. 

I'd hardly call it trivial.

do you think the car thing made him paranoid?

i have seen no evidence of such threats on social media and the abuse considering has been light.

2 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

that's a load of BS.   Sorry but the article is unintentionally funny.

I get worse abuse than that when I go jogging past the local street thugs of an evening.

They made fun of my weight and jeered at me....

You would think he had got a bullet in the post. 

Ask Mr Mazey how serious he handled Jose Kenga incident.

12 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

do you think the car thing made him paranoid?

i have seen no evidence of such threats on social media and the abuse considering has been light.

Absolutely considering he got replies to his appeal for help saying "you deserve it", "thats your comeuppance" etc. 

I think the fact that the whole board bar 1 resigned indicates that the abuse has been far from light.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Absolutely considering he got replies to his appeal for help saying "you deserve it", "thats your comeuppance" etc. 

I think the fact that the whole board bar 1 resigned indicates that the abuse has been far from light.

I don't believe this abuse claim.  Even less after reading the article in the mirror.

Seriously did he not think he might not get the odd swear word after the stunt he pulled??

If it was me I wouldnt have attended the game.  Shows a severe lack of vision and intelligence on his part.

5 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

I don't believe this abuse claim.  Even less after reading the article in the mirror.

Seriously did he not think he might not get the odd swear word after the stunt he pulled??

If it was me I wouldnt have attended the game.  Shows a severe lack of vision and intelligence on his part.

You'd have advised the chairman/many-other-roles-at-the-club to not to attend the final home game of the season and expected him to stay?

13 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

I would if I had just planned to change the identity of the club without telling the fans, the news had got leaked to the nationals.

But it wasn't leaked to the nationals, they released it in an official club statement. 

This is like Leeds United fans saying "Massimo, Time to go" except there is no prospect of any new funding/rich backer coming in. 

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I mean look earlier in this thread? Whilst rumours had abounded all season that a change was on the way the club statement over a week ago was the only confirmation.

You invent your own truths if that's the world you want to live in.  I am off to the shops.

We are living in the era of the post-truth after all.

Anybody willing to put themselves in the ' firing line ' because that is what it is , of sports club ownership that will require excessive and ongoing investment , be that a billionaire like Argyle or a businessman like Andy Masey deserves respect from fans of every club , it is a thankless task most of the time 

1 hour ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

that's a load of BS.   Sorry but the article is unintentionally funny.

I get worse abuse than that when I go jogging past the local street thugs of an evening.

They made fun of my weight and jeered at me....

You would think he had got a bullet in the post. 

Ask Mr Mazey how serious he handled Jose Kenga incident.

The guy has put money into 2 separate rugby league clubs.

He has been at Swinton Lions for a few seasons.

For him,and not forgetting that more than himself have resigned,the background of threats must have been more than superficial.

People do have differing reactions to different things.

I wouldn't allow any 'street thugs' jeer at me without a response.

People who enjoy the sport,and are good enough to put money into the sport,should NOT be forced out,by threats,real or imagined,or contentious in the ability to carry out such threats.

I would hope Jose Kenga was satisfied with how any racial misconduct was handled. 

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

9 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

We have been in "Serious Financial Trouble" for 30+ years, but we are still here, and without going into receivership, and having points deducted, unlike some other "Bigger" clubs (You know who you are....).

So Grow up and boil your head.

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

We have been in "Serious Financial Trouble" for 30+ years, but we are still here, and without going into receivership, and having points deducted, unlike some other "Bigger" clubs (You know who you are....).

So Grow up and boil your head.

Hey Bleep, I'm not having a go, just passing on what I heard. .

Do you not think it is a little strange that the death threat to Hicks by a Warrington "fan",or the "fans" that have racially abused quite a few footballers in recent times, have been identified and seemingly dealt with?

No disrespect to Swinton, but like a few other teams in the division, there can't many more than 5-600 Swinton fans in total. If you said half of them were in favour or ambivalent to the name change. It only leaves 300 that are likely to be responsible for these threats and abuse, (and you could probably cut this number down further by taking out the over 80's and under 10's). Even if it was 300, surely it would not be too hard to find the culprits and deal with them? 

There are probably over 10k Warrington fans including armchair supporters, football fans would number in the Millions that could have been abusing the footballers. Yet they were uncovered and dealt with pretty quickly, but we are supposed to believe that the authorities could not find the fans responsible from a pool of around 300 Swinton fans? 

The car theft could well be a complete coincidence, I'm not sure how anyone could prove that the two things are linked, unless of course the thieves leave a note, or a Swinton shirt or scarf etc in the recovered vehicle.

It just seems a bit strange to me, that Mazey and the other directors have spent quite a lot of time, effort and money to get you afloat and competitive again. Then they all give it up, without much of a fight and just let these abusers/haters win.

I could be totally wrong of course!

I just don't think I could walk away so easily after such hard work, over something so trivial as a name change. Even if they kept the Swinton moniker, would it really make such a huge difference? I'm not convinced it will either way.

I certainly wouldn't be convinced enough to make me walk away from the club I seemingly love!

Archived