Swinton (Merged Threads)

1 hour ago, DOGFATHER said:

Hey Bleep, I'm not having a go, just passing on what I heard. .

Do you not think it is a little strange that the death threat to Hicks by a Warrington "fan",or the "fans" that have racially abused quite a few footballers in recent times, have been identified and seemingly dealt with?

No disrespect to Swinton, but like a few other teams in the division, there can't many more than 5-600 Swinton fans in total. If you said half of them were in favour or ambivalent to the name change. It only leaves 300 that are likely to be responsible for these threats and abuse, (and you could probably cut this number down further by taking out the over 80's and under 10's). Even if it was 300, surely it would not be too hard to find the culprits and deal with them? 

There are probably over 10k Warrington fans including armchair supporters, football fans would number in the Millions that could have been abusing the footballers. Yet they were uncovered and dealt with pretty quickly, but we are supposed to believe that the authorities could not find the fans responsible from a pool of around 300 Swinton fans? 

The car theft could well be a complete coincidence, I'm not sure how anyone could prove that the two things are linked, unless of course the thieves leave a note, or a Swinton shirt or scarf etc in the recovered vehicle.

It just seems a bit strange to me, that Mazey and the other directors have spent quite a lot of time, effort and money to get you afloat and competitive again. Then they all give it up, without much of a fight and just let these abusers/haters win.

I could be totally wrong of course!

I just don't think I could walk away so easily after such hard work, over something so trivial as a name change. Even if they kept the Swinton moniker, would it really make such a huge difference? I'm not convinced it will either way.

I certainly wouldn't be convinced enough to make me walk away from the club I seemingly love!

It's an interesting theory, I'll give you that. Plenty I could agree with. They seemed to give up pretty quickly, yet nothing reported on who has done these threats like in previous weeks.

Part of me thinks this could be more "going all in" and hoping the fans either fold so the game can continue; if they call their bluff, it's game over.

This ain't over just yet. There's one more move to play out.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Appalling.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

So is there actually any link between his car going missing and the name change or has his car been stolen, something that happens quite often, and people are just saying it’s karma? 

Coincidence it seems, but I get the impression that the big fella could get Motor Neuron Disease and people would be saying it's karma

42 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

Don't say you gonna change the name of a proud club without consulting the fans

yeah.. god forbid someone should try and do something to try and help build the club and move it forward.. much better for all involved for it just to plod along as it is or even whither away and die and the fans can then blame the RFL for not helping them out and bailing them out rather than themselves.. 

sometimes people just need to realise that they have to swallow a bitter pill because by not taking that pill the consequence is much much worse.

I know Andy very well, there is not a nicer lad one could wish to meet, he left the board at Leigh and after a short while out of the pro game went over to Swinton, he has put in a lot of his own money and pulled the club up from the depths of near despair in the short time he has been there, talk about biting off the hand that feeds you, those fans of the club that have driven out Andy and most of the board will regret their actions in the not to distant future.   

It is still the same club for God's sake, they have been nomadic for nigh on 30 years now since Station Rd was sold off in 1992 and have not played in the town since, does the name Swinton nean anything to the people who live in the locallity were they happen to be playing out off, I doubt it.

To those who have seen fit to drive out the people who have been keeping your club alive, you really need to take a reality check you may have just hammered the first nail into the coffin lid.

2 hours ago, EssexRL said:

Outside the abuse - this story also illustrates the precarious nature of many RL clubs. Low crowds and poor finance. Frequently relying on owners bailing them out.

Absolutely. It makes some RL clubs look like conference football teams with the village attitude of less than 1000 people. If the game had expanded in the 19th and early 20th century I doubt we'd have similar arguments to this at all in the second division.

I was at the Sheffield game and he recieved no such threats during the game.

There were a couple of chants of "You can shover your Manchester up you ######" but that is as far as it went, nobody was pointing or gesturing either. It was all very dignified to be honest. 

Utter,utter lies this article.

He has done this to drum up more support for himself. 

He won't sell the club, this is a move just to get rid of the disenters. 

I bet any thing he'll ride back in like the white knight claiming he saved the club again.

19 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

that's a load of BS.   Sorry but the article is unintentionally funny.

I get worse abuse than that when I go jogging past the local street thugs of an evening.

They made fun of my weight and jeered at me....

You would think he had got a bullet in the post. 

Ask Mr Mazey how serious he handled Jose Kenga incident.

Absolutely bang on.

I attended the Sheffield games and there were no such threats or gestures during the game at all.

Utter utter lies. Not for the first time either

• John Drake changed the title to Swinton (Merged Threads)

Gonna play devils advocate here but I haven't heard anything that backed up the decision by Andy Mazey to step down. We're there actually any death threats? 

By taking steps to rebrand the club he took a bold and positive move, one which is needed. By not following through the club is left in disarray with an uncertain future. All because a few unhappy supporters called him names, which is of course to be expected in the circumstances. In my view Andy had a duty to see this through, now the situation just looks rather silly. 

In the end UK RL loses yet again. 

8 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Gonna play devils advocate here but I haven't heard anything that backed up the decision by Andy Mazey to step down. We're there actually any death threats? 

How would it be 'backed up'?

In the end it comes down to whether we believe Andy Mazey - or not. 

The perpetrator is hardly likely to hand out death threats in public is he? It would just be referred directly to the police. 

Just now, paulwalker71 said:

How would it be 'backed up'?

In the end it comes down to whether we believe Andy Mazey - or not. 

The perpetrator is hardly likely to hand out death threats in public is he? It would just be referred directly to the police. 

I'm not in anyway saying I don't believe him,  only that from what I've read the name calling etc doesn't warrant him and the board stepping down. 

21 minutes ago, Tim Streets tache said:

There are multiple internet posts from players, staff and even board members complimenting the fans on their support and behaviour in the last game.

Believe me, this is all very weird. Hand on heart i think its Mazey making a powerplay. 

And, if you are completely wrong, then you will happily come on this forum again and say so, will you?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I know Andy very well, there is not a nicer lad one could wish to meet, he left the board at Leigh and after a short while out of the pro game went over to Swinton, he has put in a lot of his own money and pulled the club up from the depths of near despair in the short time he has been there, talk about biting off the hand that feeds you, those fans of the club that have driven out Andy and most of the board will regret their actions in the not to distant future.   

It is still the same club for God's sake, they have been nomadic for nigh on 30 years now since Station Rd was sold off in 1992 and have not played in the town since, does the name Swinton nean anything to the people who live in the locallity were they happen to be playing out off, I doubt it.

To those who have seen fit to drive out the people who have been keeping your club alive, you really need to take a reality check you may have just hammered the first nail into the coffin lid.

Swinton Lions is a brand. Just like Manchester United and St Helens. You can't just simply change the name without completely altering it's identity.

1 minute ago, Themusician_2 said:

Swinton Lions is a brand. Just like Manchester United and St Helens. You can't just simply change the name without completely altering it's identity.

Like Opal Fruits and Treats?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived