Swinton (Merged Threads)

6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I know Andy very well, there is not a nicer lad one could wish to meet, he left the board at Leigh and after a short while out of the pro game went over to Swinton, he has put in a lot of his own money and pulled the club up from the depths of near despair in the short time he has been there, talk about biting off the hand that feeds you, those fans of the club that have driven out Andy and most of the board will regret their actions in the not to distant future.   

It is still the same club for God's sake, they have been nomadic for nigh on 30 years now since Station Rd was sold off in 1992 and have not played in the town since, does the name Swinton nean anything to the people who live in the locallity were they happen to be playing out off, I doubt it.

To those who have seen fit to drive out the people who have been keeping your club alive, you really need to take a reality check you may have just hammered the first nail into the coffin lid.

Whilst I don't disagree with the principle of this, and any abuse is bang out of order, we do need to be careful in how people are allowed to do things like this.  I do always believe that boards are the custodians of clubs, and I hate the idea that owners can just do what they want with them. I am also a realist and accept that history doesn't pay the bills.

But I don't accept that the Swinton fans should just have to accept this, sure they should make their feelings known in a better way, but I don't imagine St Helens fans being pragmatic if they became Merseyside Saints, or we saw Greater Manchester Warriors etc. 

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Like Opal Fruits and Treats?

What's in a name? https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/food-drink/marathon-bars-return-snickers-turn-20063562

Any of the doubters able to explain why more than Mr Mazey has resigned if the threats and abuse is a made up story?

He could have left when the club needed money in a very short period of time,recently.But he chose not to after the supporters made a great effort to raise the necessary funds.

Most fathers would listen to their daughter(s) should they be concerned.Perhaps she has just been mistaken... 

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

2 hours ago, Tim Streets tache said:

There are multiple internet posts from players, staff and even board members complimenting the fans on their support and behaviour in the last game.

Believe me, this is all very weird. Hand on heart i think its Mazey making a powerplay. 

If you watch this video from the Mayfield game it looks like the pressure of the job is getting to him.

He might for his own mental health need some time away from the game.

9 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Just a shame that all of those 1,000 people that signed the petition against the proposed changes can’t be bothered watching the club on a regular basis.

It's not necessary to be a supporter of the club in order to sign the petition. But why let that fact get in the way of a making a cheap dig?

1 hour ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

If you watch this video from the Mayfield game it looks like the pressure of the job is getting to him.

He might for his own mental health need some time away from the game.

A very unnecessary comment if I might say so.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

10 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I know Andy very well, there is not a nicer lad one could wish to meet, he left the board at Leigh and after a short while out of the pro game went over to Swinton, he has put in a lot of his own money and pulled the club up from the depths of near despair in the short time he has been there, talk about biting off the hand that feeds you, those fans of the club that have driven out Andy and most of the board will regret their actions in the not to distant future.   

It is still the same club for God's sake, they have been nomadic for nigh on 30 years now since Station Rd was sold off in 1992 and have not played in the town since, does the name Swinton nean anything to the people who live in the locallity were they happen to be playing out off, I doubt it.

To those who have seen fit to drive out the people who have been keeping your club alive, you really need to take a reality check you may have just hammered the first nail into the coffin lid.

But that's exactly why the issue is such an emotive one. It's the last remaining link to the town the club supposedly represents. And it's also true that the core of suppporters who remained with the club throughout have helped keep it going. They deserved to be properly consulted, and to have had an input, on such a significant proposal.

5 hours ago, Bolton Leyther said:

It's not necessary to be a supporter of the club in order to sign the petition. But why let that fact get in the way of a making a cheap dig?

Ok, perhaps I was being a tad facetious.

It irks me when this type of petition is signed by friends/family or people that have never been to a Swinton game.  Therefore the petition IMHO has little validity and  creates skewed impression.

In this instance it would have had more impact if the petition was just signed by those attending a home game.  The numbers signing it would not have been the same but the petition IMHO would have had greater validity i.e. if 500 out 700 people were against the name change.

Looking at the article in the mail. 

It sounds like they got the budgets wrong and overspent on players.  

Talks about 4-5 k short on wages. 

Cruelly the winning run this year might have hurt the club.

Especially if they are on a different win/lose pay structure.

Been saying for years, the whole sport needs to have a third party check the books of every club.

that should please people in Toronto.

Seriously, believe we need a full time/part time split we stop living beyond our means as a sport.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-7470773/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Scandal-153-years-counts-Swinton.html?fbclid=IwAR1o4UJbAEwzBcTcvYGfN1STdSvh7YvXm8yKCs0E79g39ZQ5LBUiqUk10p4

14 hours ago, Dave T said:

I don't imagine St Helens fans being pragmatic if they became Merseyside Saints, or we saw Greater Manchester Warriors etc. 

That is a fair point.

Write it again in 2046 when St Helens haven't played a home game in St Helens for 27 years and are bankrupt.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

50 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Been saying for years, the whole sport needs to have a third party check the books of every club.

Seriously, believe we need a full time/part time split we stop living beyond our means as a sport.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-7470773/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Scandal-153-years-counts-Swinton.html?fbclid=IwAR1o4UJbAEwzBcTcvYGfN1STdSvh7YvXm8yKCs0E79g39ZQ5LBUiqUk10p4

Pathetic hatchet-job from a rag that won't mention Swinton again for another 50 years.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

4 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Pathetic hatchet-job from a rag that won't mention Swinton again for another 50 years.

They've always been Swinton.

Except for the years when they were Swinton & Pendlebury.

Oh, and Bury Town already exist. They play in Bury St Edmunds.

Ignorant blowhard.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

41 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

That is a fair point.

Write it again in 2046 when St Helens haven't played a home game in St Helens for 27 years and are bankrupt.

I write it as a Wire fan who was told we didnt have a standalone place in SL in 1994/5 and would have to merge with Widnes and probably be called Cheshire or something. And this was shortly after finishing joint top in the league and just a few years after Widnes had become World Champions.

I take your point, but we need to make sure these things are done carefully and sensitively as people care a lot about these things and act irrationally. 

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I take your point, but we need to make sure these things are done carefully and sensitively as people car a lot about these things and act irrationally. 

Absolutely.

But then I also write as someone who was more or less on board with move to being Quins RL (and, going back in time would not change that decision only how the club was run post the move).

16 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

And Manchester Lions could on occasions have an heritage game and play as Swinton Lions. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Absolutely.

But then I also write as someone who was more or less on board with move to being Quins RL (and, going back in time would not change that decision only how the club was run post the move).

Funnily enough, I was thinking about this the other day. I hated the change to Quins RL. 

That change did not cost the club any fans, directly, but it did cost the club a lot of good will amongst long-standing fans. The ones who had been around in the bad old days of crowds below 1,000 and who had seen first hadn't the obstacles the other code had erected to an outpost RL club, were genuinely upset - particularly with it being the most rah-rah of all union clubs. I think, long term, it contributed to the hugely diminished connection between some fans and the club. Combined with the appalling way it was run, the loosening of those bonds ultimately contributed to the almost complete collapse of the club's support base over a period of about 5 years. It's something the Broncos still haven't recovered from - averaging 4,500 when Hughes took over, to about half that now.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

3 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

My youngest 7 year old grandson would know more about Rugby League than Martin Samuel

1 hour ago, nadera78 said:

Funnily enough, I was thinking about this the other day. I hated the change to Quins RL. 

That change did not cost the club any fans, directly, but it did cost the club a lot of good will amongst long-standing fans. The ones who had been around in the bad old days of crowds below 1,000 and who had seen first hadn't the obstacles the other code had erected to an outpost RL club, were genuinely upset - particularly with it being the most rah-rah of all union clubs. I think, long term, it contributed to the hugely diminished connection between some fans and the club. Combined with the appalling way it was run, the loosening of those bonds ultimately contributed to the almost complete collapse of the club's support base over a period of about 5 years. It's something the Broncos still haven't recovered from - averaging 4,500 when Hughes took over, to about half that now.

Yes - it was handled really badly and the club blew all the advantages of having the Stoop as a home ground.

The alternative was very close to being no club at all, though.

On 16/09/2019 at 08:15, Themusician_2 said:

Don't say you gonna change the name of a proud club without consulting the fans

If you change the name to from Swinton to Manchester as far as i am concerned it's just not Swinton anymore, and I would not support the new Manchester club . Swinton supporters might as well support Salford instead , and they are not going to do that.

At Hunslet a few years ago had an idea to change our name to South Leeds , that was quickly squashed by our supporters , it just wouldn't be our club anymore with our great history just like Swinton have. Yes I know we don't get a great support but if you are a real fan you follow your team for years , not any other.

1 minute ago, hunslet ramone said:

If you change the name to from Swinton to Manchester as far as i am concerned it's just not Swinton anymore, and I would not support the new Manchester club . Swinton supporters might as well support Salford instead , and they are not going to do that.

At Hunslet a few years ago had an idea to change our name to South Leeds , that was quickly squashed by our supporters , it just wouldn't be our club anymore with our great history just like Swinton have. Yes I know we don't get a great support but if you are a real fan you follow your team for years , not any other.

Agreed once the name is changed the clubs identity will be destroyed

21 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

Agreed once the name is changed the clubs identity will be destroyed

If the choice was that the club dies anyway or you change the name (still play at the same ground, still play in the same kit, have the same badge but with a different name on it etc) and have a few more years and the chance to become a bigger club which would you prefer?

This is a hypothetical question so please dont go off on a "this will never happen, we can survive as Swinton etc etc" I am interested in what you would chose in this scenario.. 

Archived