Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Man of Kent

Swinton (Merged Threads)

13 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

As a disjointed supporter of a club that won 2 consecutive Championships when I was born, I disagree about a declining fan base, we have had  the best support for 10 years, under the name of Swinton, we don't need a moniker that relates us to a city that does not have a Rugby team with that name of either code. Manchester as a title is a rubbish idea. I remember watching MANCHESTER STORM Ice hockey. with 8,000 in the Arena, now they are playing in front of 2,000 max in Altrincham, not far from Sale. Coincidence?  

Completely, agree. Manchester in Manchester works.  Fake efforts are just going to fuel this myth you can't have Rugby League in Manchester.

As someone who lives in Manchester the Grand Final is fairly high profile at the moment driving in and out.

13 hours ago, The Future is League said:

The fact of the matter is that it doesn't matter now, as without Andy Mazey and former directors money going into the club Swinton are going to fold.

Nobody with money will want to get involved with a club with insular fans.

This would be the same group of insular fans who put their own money into saving the club a few years back into keeping the club going.

The mistake they made then was keeping the board, should have insisted on a change of faces.

Shiny new fans are great, but lets see if the likes of Toronto are there when the clubs hits hard times.

You can have few members or customers as fans, not a good idea to confuse the two.

Customers are not in it for the long term.

Edited by TheLegendOfTexEvans

38 minutes ago, Niels said:

I can't imagine many new people coming to watch "Kirklees". The same for naming the club after a separate city entirely such as Bradford.

There are other and better ways than name changes to attract fans. Batley have a "pink" weekend for example and other initiatives, such as a game against a team made up of Asian players. 

I agree, I'm just being facetious. I think the Swinton name change is one of the more realistic name change/ merger suggestions but people seem to be in favour until it's their own club that's involved.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RP London said:

There is a real drive to have animals in names which I am not really sure i understand but i dont see why they couldnt have been Manchester Swinton.. nickname "the lions" with a lion on the badge etc etc.. (Sheffield Wednesday, Owls, Owl on badge etc)

In that case, Manchester Old Swintonlions   (Pronounced "Swin-tone-lee-onz")  😉

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

In that case, Manchester Old Swintonlions   (Pronounced "Swin-tone-lee-onz")  😉

and if it doesnt work they can just cross codes and the new premiership deal will snap them up :kolobok_ph34r:

8 hours ago, RP London said:

and if it doesnt work they can just cross codes and the new premiership deal will snap them up :kolobok_ph34r:

Sale Sharks actually did rename to Manchester Sale at one point. It wasn't a success and didn't last too long.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Damien said:

Sale Sharks actually did rename to Manchester Sale at one point. It wasn't a success and didn't last too long.

Does not matter what you call a club, if you have bad people in charge you will get a bad outcome.

Ideas are nothing if you dont have the quality of people to implement them.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Does not matter what you call a club, if you have bad people in charge you will get a bad outcome.

The arsh in charge is not a bad person, however he does have different ideas to the cognoscenti of the clubs backing, and fans. If Andy had asked the fans what do they want, then he might've got a separate reply. Donkey business brains, do not always equal sport realist brains, it's a loss leader. Marwan Koukash realised that & he pulled out.

We need a club that can be successful in a challenging league, and I think we have that this year, next year we will be even stronger, we will be pushing for a play-off position, VIVA LIONS, from SWINTON!!

• Haha 1

RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones

On 19/09/2019 at 08:17, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

This would be the same group of insular fans who put their own money into saving the club a few years back into keeping the club going.

The mistake they made then was keeping the board, should have insisted on a change of faces.

Shiny new fans are great, but lets see if the likes of Toronto are there when the clubs hits hard times.

You can have few members or customers as fans, not a good idea to confuse the two.

Really, is that what happened?

I thought that the whole board structure changed but you are clearly closer to things.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

It really doesn't matter now as the club is going to fold.

haven't been following this thread for while now but I'm currently listening to the chasing kangaroos podcast (30 min mark) that was recorded before the weekend and it's just so frustrating to listen to people talk sense and be positive knowing that "fans" just killed their clubs cuz of a name. Same location, same colours...still the lions...but nope!

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/chasing-kangaroos/e/63913638?autoplay=true

Just to post devil's advocate...

People were complaining in the early SL years that Bradford were "stealing" fans from areas around them (Batley, Dewsbury, Huddersfield, etc).  How come those clubs weren't getting fans from Bradford? Might it have something to do with the big city attachment? 

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

9 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

People were complaining in the early SL years that Bradford were "stealing" fans from areas around them (Batley, Dewsbury, Huddersfield, etc).  How come those clubs weren't getting fans from Bradford? Might it have something to do with the big city attachment? 

There's definitely an element of that, plus a successful team that was an enjoyable evening to watch. 

I've said before on these forums that you're as likely to see Rhinos shirts in Cas, Wakey, Fev etc as you are their own teams. 

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

People love a bandwagon.

Edited by Ackroman

That is not quite the order of things as I remember them.

The club was in trouble and money was raised by the supporters Trust,and other supporters

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/swinton-lions-rlfc-financial-problems-13354437

It was AFTER that when Andy Mazey joined - https://rlobsessed.com/2017/09/07/mazey-new-chairman-at-swinton/

Born - didn't ask. Dying - didn't argue                                 

On 19/09/2019 at 23:30, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Don't you mean rich enough ?

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

That is not quite the order of things as I remember them.

The club was in trouble and money was raised by the supporters Trust,and other supporters

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/swinton-lions-rlfc-financial-problems-13354437

It was AFTER that when Andy Mazey joined - https://rlobsessed.com/2017/09/07/mazey-new-chairman-at-swinton/

I dont think you read what I wrote.