The pub thread (and beer)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, northernmouse said:

Lancaster - on main line so easy to reach http://lunesdale.camra.org.uk/pubsetc/northerncity.pdf   this map is out of date but you can pick up an up to date one in most of the pubs listed. Just don't start in the Robert Gillow on a Saturday caus I like to have my favourite seat

The Waterwitch has a good location by the canal. Well worth a visit.

9 hours ago, northernmouse said:

Lancaster - on main line so easy to reach http://lunesdale.camra.org.uk/pubsetc/northerncity.pdf   this map is out of date but you can pick up an up to date one in most of the pubs listed. Just don't start in the Robert Gillow on a Saturday caus I like to have my favourite seat

4 hours ago, longboard said:

The Waterwitch has a good location by the canal. Well worth a visit.

We are regular visitors to Lancaster for a bit of a pub crawl, great place with lots of great pubs.

There is also The White Cross on the canal but I would say Waterwitch is the better of the two.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in England for a fortnight recently, York and Hebden Bridge.  The quality of pubs there and in England generally is superb. They are a cultural icon in Europe and deserve to be. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

On 17/09/2019 at 20:13, Skids said:

Any recommendations in Lincoln? Looking for decent beer and pubs with interesting history. 

Unfortunately my mate took a bit of time to get back but his recommendations for Lincoln are below.

Not absolutely sure, but anything uphill around the Castle and Cathedral. The Victoria, Strugglers, Duke William, Lion and Snake, and one or two in the Steep Hill / Michael Gate area. Jolly Brewer at the base of the hill (main road) and Golden Eagle at the bottom end of the High Street, but they all may be better for their ale than their history

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Can't really recommend any pubs where I live as I don't really go out drinking.  I will be visiting the pub at Harrogate Train Station though during the christmas market while waitin for my train home.  I have had a few good beers/stouts in there over the past few years.

If you come across any pubs selling Five Towns Brewery ales, I would recommend them (full disclosure, the owner is my girlfriends brother in law), but I can say the ones I have tried from there are good.

On 05/10/2019 at 16:33, Bob8 said:

I was in England for a fortnight recently, York and Hebden Bridge.  The quality of pubs there and in England generally is superb

Nice to see recognition for the Republik of Yorkshire!

Local brewery Hophurst, based in Hindley have just hit the jackpot at the SIBA awards.

They won 4 Golds, 2 silvers and 2 bronze awards at the NW SIBA Independent Beer Awards.

Good pub crawl tonight in Manchester . Here for tomorrow's  final from London. Crown and Kettle,Marble Arch,Angel, Smithfield Market Tavern then the Castle.  I 've lived in London for 27 years and Manchester used to be cheap for beer but Now it is almost as expensive!!Come on Salford!!!!!

On 05/10/2019 at 16:33, Bob8 said:

I was in England for a fortnight recently, York and Hebden Bridge.  The quality of pubs there and in England generally is superb. They are a cultural icon in Europe and deserve to be. 

We were in Hebden Bridge a few weeks back, walking along the canal tow path when it started siling down in true Pennine fashion. Fortunately there was a handily placed boozer to shelter in. Really friendly place and the cask beer was superb.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

33 minutes ago, Ullman said:

We were in Hebden Bridge a few weeks back, walking along the canal tow path when it started siling down in true Pennine fashion. Fortunately there was a handily placed boozer to shelter in. Really friendly place and the cask beer was superb.

I think we were there at the same time!

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

On 11/10/2019 at 23:56, bazzzz65 said:

Good pub crawl tonight in Manchester . Here for tomorrow's  final from London. Crown and Kettle,Marble Arch,Angel, Smithfield Market Tavern then the Castle.  I 've lived in London for 27 years and Manchester used to be cheap for beer but Now it is almost as expensive!!Come on Salford!!!!!

Prices in Manchester are ridiculous, I can get a pint in The Anvil in Wigan for £2.40, 15 miles up the road and you are looking at £3.75 for a similar beer.

We had all our pre-match drinks in The Angel on Saturday and post match went to City Arms and then back to The Angel to await our taxi.

On 17/09/2019 at 13:19, Padge said:

Trembling Madness is another good real ale place, another of one of my favourites is The Maltings. 

York Camra branch do a good guide of city centre pubs. Follow the link below and scroll down for downloadable pdf. 

https://york.camra.org.uk/york-branch-pubs/

Went to York for New Year last time around , went for a few days and we managed to visit 20-odd different pubs, different pub crawls on different days. Still got plenty to visit as well

55 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Went to York for New Year last time around , went for a few days and we managed to visit 20-odd different pubs, different pub crawls on different days. Still got plenty to visit as well

We did New year three years back, we were their for 5 days and hardly scratched the surface of pubs.

On 13/10/2019 at 13:59, Ullman said:

The Stubbing  Wharf ?

The low or non-alcohol versions of beers have improved considerably recently

The 0.5% Franziskaner wheat beer is currently my choice when running the next morning. Erdinger is also good - interestingly, they have it as an Isotonic drink on the labelling!

1 hour ago, shaun mc said:

The low or non-alcohol versions of beers have improved considerably recently

The 0.5% Franziskaner wheat beer is currently my choice when running the next morning. Erdinger is also good - interestingly, they have it as an Isotonic drink on the labelling!

They have improved. I imagine wheat beer would work well as it has a strong taste other than the booze itself

Will try the Franziskaner 

5 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

They have improved. I imagine wheat beer would work well as it has a strong taste other than the booze itself

Will try the Franziskaner 

I tried Franziskaner recently, I tried the Brau and the Blond both coming in at an ABV of 5%. Very nice beer.

Strangely the place were I tried it was a bar called Ippocampus in Tolon Greece.

On 14/10/2019 at 22:27, Padge said:

Prices in Manchester are ridiculous, I can get a pint in The Anvil in Wigan for £2.40, 15 miles up the road and you are looking at £3.75 for a similar beer.

We had all our pre-match drinks in The Angel on Saturday and post match went to City Arms and then back to The Angel to await our taxi.

I ended up at the Railway Club near Old Trafford. Cheap as chips. 

10 minutes ago, Padge said:

I tried Franziskaner recently, I tried the Brau and the Blond both coming in at an ABV of 5%. Very nice beer.

Strangely the place were I tried it was a bar called Ippocampus in Tolon Greece.

Weihenstephan Hefeweissebier on draught is my favourite of the German wheat beers. I'll look out for their low-alcohol version as well as have just read that they do one. The Dunkel versions also tend to be good as well

Just now, Bob8 said:

I ended up at the Railway Club near Old Trafford. Cheap as chips. 

That is not in Manchester. ?

Archived