Super League Dream Team

Chris22

Confirmed - https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/1033/2019-super-league-dream-team

1.     Lachlan Coote, St Helens
2.     Tommy Makinson, St Helens
3.     Kevin Naiqama, St Helens
4.     Konrad Hurrell, Leeds Rhinos
5.     Ash Handley, Leeds Rhinos
6.     Blake Austin, Warrington Wolves
7.     Jackson Hastings, Salford Red Devils
8.     Liam Watts, Castleford Tigers
9.     Daryl Clark, Warrington Wolves
10.  Luke Thompson, St Helens
11.  Josh Jones, Salford Red Devils
12.  Liam Farrell, Wigan Warriors
13.  Morgan Knowles, St Helens

My team would have had a few changes to that one. I would have put Goodwin and Gildart as the centres and Walmsley in for Watts. I would probably have been sneaky and moved Knowles to second row in place of either Jones or Farrell to make room for Luke Yates at loose forward.

It's hard to argue that Coote and Austin don't deserve their places, but you could make an equally strong case for Evalds and Lomax in those positions who have had great seasons too.

10 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I’d have gone with Joey Lussick over scooter-in-chief Daryl Clark but other than that it’s about right.

Clark best hooker over here by a mile this season, but has Farrell had a good season overall or just lately. 

I think they are all reasonable and arguable choices (with some like Lomax unlucky to miss out) apart from Hurrell. While he’s a devastating runner his defending is embarrassing, his handling and positioning are terrible and I saw him pass it into touch twice in one game (not flick or offload, pass). There is also no getting away from the fact that him and Handley played all season for a team that only escaped relegation late on when they bought players in. Percival, Goodwin, Gildart - while not perfect have had better all round seasons than Hurrell.

17 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Lussick isn’t just a scooter, he can play too

Really just a scooter, his all round game is top, his defence is brilliant as well,anyone would think your just trying to be controversial. 

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Wire fans are sooooo precious about Clark but he ain’t all that. Great athlete but not much of a footballer IMHO.

But the difference he makes to a side is what counts IMO. He’s often the most influential player on the pitch, in both attack and defence. He’s got a very good footballing brain and as seen recently actually has a decent long pass to go with his short ones.

EDIT: Not that it matters but he’s also officially faster than anyone in the premier league or the NFL! ?

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Wire fans are sooooo precious about Clark but he ain’t all that. Great athlete but not much of a footballer IMHO.

As a Salford fan who thinks Lussick is the best hooker we’ve had in 30 years, I still think Clark edges him this year. Just. 

7 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

But the difference he makes to a side is what counts IMO. He’s often the most influential player on the pitch, in both attack and defence. He’s got a very good footballing brain and as seen recently actually has a decent long pass to go with his short ones.

EDIT: Not that it matters but he’s also officially faster than anyone in the premier league or the NFL! ?

Yet only 8 England caps in the past five years. I wonder why...?

3 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

Ash Handley, haven't we got a better winger than him? Good grief! Must be the worst wingman ever to be named in the Dream Team. Surely Grace, Charnley, Marshall, are far better? Compare Handley to Leeds previous left wingman, Ryan Hall, different League altogether.

Can't argue with that. Leeds have been awful all year, and Handley & Hurrell are possibly the two most unworthy Dream Team picks in SL history.

2 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Clark best hooker over here by a mile this season, but has Farrell had a good season overall or just lately. 

Farrell hasn't played enough games this year to be considered for a team like this.

He has had two long spells out with injury, and I think he has played about 15 games out of 29. He's playing well now, but that shouldn't be enough to get him included.

2 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Farrell hasn't played enough games this year to be considered for a team like this.

He has had two long spells out with injury, and I think he has played about 15 games out of 29. He's playing well now, but that shouldn't be enough to get him included.

I think thats fair comment, ability wise he would be in,just not played enough. 

Various posts removed.

General request:

Please stick to discussing the merits of the players in the team, or those who have missed selection, rather than trying to score trolling points against each other cos that will get really boring really quickly for the moderators and we might end up banning people to stop it happening.

Thanks.

Gutted Dave Fifiti didn't make it.  Backed him pre season at 20/1 to be in.  Both he and Gildart who I backed also can't have been far off.  Shame Tom Johnson got injured as i tgink he would have walked it and won top try scorer (Backed him for both)  ?

Austin 2/1

Watts 12/1 

Soften the blow a bit though.

As some have said Farrell (limited game time), Hurrell and Handley questionable.

Grace should be in for Handley imo. 

Do they separate loose forward and second row?  If not I'd put Yates in for Farrell.

43 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

Ash Handley, haven't we got a better winger than him? Good grief! Must be the worst wingman ever to be named in the Dream Team. Surely Grace, Charnley, Marshall, are far better? Compare Handley to Leeds previous left wingman, Ryan Hall, different League altogether.

Hurrell shouldn’t be in the DT but Handley has been outstanding all season, only just missed out on top try scorer in a team that has struggled all season he has really matured into a great winger and player

52 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

While I agree Grace should be in the team alongside his teammate Makinson, I think Handley has done pretty well in a poor Leeds team this year. His tries, metres carried and error rate fare very favourably with wingers from teams at the top of the table.

Hurrell is the one I would question more... he has made the second most errors in Super League this year which is hardly form for a Dream Team place.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

While I agree Grace should be in the team alongside his teammate Makinson, I think Handley has done pretty well in a poor Leeds team this year. His tries, metres carried and error rate fare very favourably with wingers from teams at the top of the table.

Hurrell is the one I would question more... he has made the second most errors in Super League this year which is hardly form for a Dream Team place.

Merrin IMO deserves a spot rather than Hurrell. 

But i will say Hurrell is entertaining and Im glad we have him, even with the errors.

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

Merrin IMO deserves a spot rather than Hurrell. 

But i will say Hurrell is entertaining and Im glad we have him, even with the errors.

I agree Hurrell is an entertaining player and when he is on he is a very potent weapon.  Just the best (Dream Team) players do all the good stuff and have a low error rate.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

12 hours ago, DavidM said:

I wouldn’t say that’s a stellar side this year 

Overall I would agree. Whenever I see the Dream Team I think how it would go as an international side. Not sure this one would fare that well.

Archived