Fev at home Playoffs

HarrogateKnights

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, White Knight said:

Good preview on this and the Toronto v Toulouse match on the Our League kapp.

This promises to be a fitting climax to another memorable season at Bootham Crescent, where the City Knights have followed last season’s Betfred League 1 title-winning campaign by stepping up to another level in the Championship.

With James Ford continuing to build his reputation as one of the brightest coaching talents in the game, York finished third in the table, behind only Toronto and Toulouse – and although they were heavily beaten in the first round of the play-offs in Toulouse last weekend, they will surely be a different proposition in more familiar, and cooler, conditions in the Minster City.

But they are braced for a formidable challenge to carry the baton for Yorkshire, and England, into the third round of the play-offs, from a Featherstone team who have so much experience of this business end of the season – and who were so impressive in winning at Leigh last weekend.

Rovers have won two of the teams’ three previous meetings this season, scoring 40 points on each occasion – on home territory at the LD Nutrition Stadium on Good Friday, and then in the Blackpool sunshine as part of the Betfred Championship Summer Bash in May, when the mercurial Australian half-back Dane Chisholm stole the show.

But York gained revenge in the last clash at Bootham Crescent in August, a 22-18 thriller in front of a 3,115 crowd.

That attendance lifted York’s average for the season to 2,167, a 42% increase on their title-winning League 1 campaign in 2018 – while Featherstone’s average has also climbed above 2,300, and they are renowned for the volume and passion of their travelling support.

The two clubs have a good working relationship off the field, as they showed this week in a variety of joint promotions for the match, aiming to attract the bumper crowd this contest deserves.

The 1st time that both York City FC (BBC red button/Sport website in FA Cup) and York City Knights (Sky) have been on main stream TV on the same day!!

Have to admit getting a bit nervous for this one but in an excited way should be a sense of occasion about the game, looking forward to it! Either way we have had a great season and I for one will be clapping off the players regardless of the result !

7 minutes ago, HarrogateKnights said:

The 1st time that both York City FC (BBC red button/Sport website in FA Cup) and York City Knights (Sky) have been on main stream TV on the same day!!

Have to admit getting a bit nervous for this one but in an excited way should be a sense of occasion about the game, looking forward to it! Either way we have had a great season and I for one will be clapping off the players regardless of the result !

The occasion will outdo the result. Both clubs deserve what should be a fantastic day and let the better team win.

14 hours ago, J Phil Loxton said:

The occasion will outdo the result. Both clubs deserve what should be a fantastic day and let the better team win.

Agree 100% Phil. Everyone can get up for the big games, big crowds, huge atmosphere, and they don’t come any bigger than this. Two VERY well supported heartland sides going at it hammer and tongs. 

Beer and York Knights. Proof the God loves us and wants us to be happy. 🍺🏉

Really lookin forward to this one, the comparison between this fixture and our final fixture at home 3 seasons back when we watched us get turned over by donny on a rearranged friday night with a crowd of about 500 in, with the future lookin very bleak, is mind blowing!

But even on that cold night the knights players gave their all and played for the badge to the very end. It is that grit and determination that has saved our club and we are now reaping the rewards of the knights never say die attitude. 

So many close games this year, so many valiant efforts, looking back a key day was that bitterly cold day at dewsbury when after a battering in the first half we were looking at a long and fraught season ahead, but the knights roared back in the second half to really lay down a marker for the season ahead.

Well done lads, thanks for a brilliant season.

Onwards ever onwards the mighty mighty kneets!

2 hours ago, Nearenough said:

Really lookin forward to this one, the comparison between this fixture and our final fixture at home 3 seasons back when we watched us get turned over by donny on a rearranged friday night with a crowd of about 500 in, with the future lookin very bleak, is mind blowing!

But even on that cold night the knights players gave their all and played for the badge to the very end. It is that grit and determination that has saved our club and we are now reaping the rewards of the knights never say die attitude. 

So many close games this year, so many valiant efforts, looking back a key day was that bitterly cold day at dewsbury when after a battering in the first half we were looking at a long and fraught season ahead, but the knights roared back in the second half to really lay down a marker for the season ahead.

Well done lads, thanks for a brilliant season.

Onwards ever onwards the mighty mighty kneets!

That sums everything up, what a fantastic season and its not over yet.

Rather disappointed with our performance today (before you all jump on me yes I'm immensely proud of what we have achieved this season).

Featherstone were fitter, faster and stronger in pretty much every department. Quick play the balls pretty much every time leaving our players on the floor and getting metres upon metres. Don't know if it's because they have better players or because we were knackered.

I don't feel like it's fair to the lads to say we looked uninterested but we did I'm afraid, never looked like scoring and couldn't stop them making 50-60m every set.

MoM for me is probably Teanby as he's the only one that seemed up for it.

Oh well, it's over now, on to next year!

Too many memorable York wins this season have had the gloss taken off them by bitter comments from opposition fans and managers so now the boot is on the other foot I’d just like to say well done Featherstone, probably the best performance by an away team at Bootham Crescent this season and that includes the visits of Toulouse and Toronto. No complaints here, thoroughly deserved.

Enjoy the win and I hope you ruffle a few feathers and can gain promotion into SL.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Well done York on a great season. A game too far for you today but all York fans should be very proud, as we are at Fev.

as said a game too far , knights have fought above their weight all season and have surpassed any expectations we as fans could possibly of dreamt of , well done to fev certainly a great side second half of the season , good luck to 2 fantastic sides in future battles .

It’s been a marathon effort. Don’t know how Liam Harris got man of the match, not that he did much wrong just thought Matty Marsh kept us in the game in the first half. Just weren’t at the races today but it’s been a great season and I wouldn’t change it for the world. Too many knock ons, Fev did a good job closing down our halves but deserved the win.

On a side note before the league fixture vs Featherstone the volunteers were asked if any fancied joining Fev fans who were doing a charity walk from Featherstone to York in aid of both clubs foundations. I put my name forward but despite repeat requests never received any info, still a mystery if the walk actually went ahead. Well today I’ve nearly matched it....up at 5am, a 2.5 mile walk down the A64 to the closest bus stop (Askham Bar Park + Ride) for a bus that can get me to work for 7am. Find out at 7.30am my 11 mile post round has become a 16 mile round as my van partner has called in sick so I have to cover his side as well great...I was already up against it as there’s a bike race going through Riccall meaning after 11am I can’t get round in the van. Power walk it round, get back to York just after 2pm, quick drink in Brew York (please can we hook up with these guys and get their stuff in the new stadium?!), hotfoot across town through Walmgate street market and sidestepping tourists. Get to Bootham just before kickoff, then after clapping the players off the pitch for the efforts this season back on the bus with a few Fev fans back to Askham Bar and a mere 2.5 mile walk home. 

I’m sure Postman Pat never had to do all this......

10AFCF21-2D09-41CD-9945-1738964083F2.png

Archived