21 Sept: Championship Semi-Final: York City Knights v Featherstone Rovers KO 3pm (TV)

Who will win?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• York City Knights
    • Featherstone Rovers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/09/19 at 14:00

3,222 was the crowd with 1,200 from Fev.

Fev have been mighty impressive in the last 2 weeks and have brushed aside Leigh and York. It gets harder now though but they have nothing to fear.

A word for York too. A disappointing play off campaign but what a first year in the Championship for them.  The way they've performed it's easy to forget that 12 months ago they were in League 1!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Chris22 said:

3,222 was the crowd with 1,200 from Fev.

Fev have been mighty impressive in the last 2 weeks and have brushed aside Leigh and York. It gets harder now though but they have nothing to fear.

A word for York too. A disappointing play off campaign but what a first year in the Championship for them.  The way they've performed it's easy to forget that 12 months ago they were in League 1!

They've had some very barren years and it's great for their fan's especially the diehards. 

A game too many for York , they've done brilliantly well this year , their points difference shows they've managed to just get over the line in so many games , twice over Leigh by one point , so not really a surprise Fev pushed on in the second half and won the game 

2 minutes ago, clogdance said:

Wish we'd have carried on using the Saints players, instead of signing Junior Sau, Mitch Clark, Jake Emmit & Kevin Brown (on loan)

Not our choice , as soon as it became obvious Saints were in the play offs ( April ) they were always going to recall them for the season's end 

7 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Blimey, steady on!

Actually no, lets enjoy it while it lasts.

Having seen all teams play at Bootham crescent this year, the mighty rovers are by far the best. Rolled York over on Good Friday and at Blackpool, and today...just wish they could go on to do it.  Super league wouldn't allow that. Up the kneets.

Just over 3 years ago I popped along to Bootham Crescent for my first York game. Yet another Castleford game had  been moved from the usual Sunday slot and it was the straw that broke the camels back so I decided to see what my local side could offer....the match for some reason was a Wednesday evening (quite ironic), and York struggled to beat Coventry 32-14 in front of 451. I’ve been going ever since, usually on that blessed Sunday spot!

Soon after the owner announced he was pulling out. Players were playing for free. James Ford would drive round York on an evening trying to find a patch of grass (near streetlights) then quickly text the players who’d turn up to train! York went to Toulouse with just 11 men, given a guard of honour at the end by the Toulouse players.

The timeline here might be a bit off (it’s all a bit of a blur) but I think it’s around that time York were made homeless and had to play at amateur grounds in the area, borrowing plastic chairs from local village halls in order to have enough seats! 

In 2017 I saw York lose (twice) at home to North Wales, saw them labour to a 2 point win over South Wales (later to become West Wales). I was on Scarborough beach when I heard York had lost at Oxford! I remember a close fought win at home against Doncaster when more than 1,000 turned up for a league fixture for the first time in years and just having a feeling something special could happen here.

A lot has changed since then. James Ford has become York’s first ever full time coach. Crowds have gone from 400 to 2200 ish, there’s a real opportunity now to consolidate the club as a solid Championship side, and who knows what could happen if the average can be pushed past 3k in the new stadium. 

It’s not completely perfect in York-land, off the pitch especially I think a few things need improving....some of the problems are a result of ‘squatting’ at York City FC, but at the new ground there can be no excuses.

However if more clubs could work with and value their fans more, stop the infighting, and instead of owners posting digs at Toronto/Catalan/RFL etc and releasing controversial statements actually focused on what’s good the game would be in much better health.

Little York had a bad day at the office, but provide a beacon of light for the Keighley’s, and Whitehaven’s (clubs who’ve had a tough time off the pitch lately) that no matter how bad things are there’s always a chance you can turn things round. 

11 hours ago, POR said:

shared gate so probably a lot more in real terms

Doubt it.

Main stand (capacity 1757) was nearly full = 1700

Longhurst (the covered stand behind the sticks) had about 250 in.

Featherstone filled nearly half the Grosvenor Road end (capacity 1785) = 800.

Plus they had 2 of the 6 blocks in the Popular stand (capacity 1652) which looked fairly full = 450.

So a touch over 3200 looks right. 

Good following from both teams though and while I hope Fev can gain promotion to the promised land this season, if they don’t we can expect some more big crowds between the clubs next season. 

Guy Fawkes!  Joseph Rowntree! Judi Dench!  Sir Vince Cable!  SIR VINCE CABLE!  Your boys took a helluva beating! ?

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

10 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Guy Fawkes!  Joseph Rowntree! Judi Dench!  Sir Vince Cable!  SIR VINCE CABLE!  Your boys took a helluva beating! ?

Gut Fawkes is the ONLY right honrrable gentleman that's ever been in parliament ? 

As been said, probably a game too far for York and shallow depth in squad wont have helped either.  I listened to it on the Radio and it seemed that Fev were pressuring well from the 1st kick off and didnt let up.  Good luck to them and if they can continue in that vein they have a shot at the big prize.

What a great season York have had though and what a ride for the supporters.  They can all be proud and next year will be full of anticipation now.

15 hours ago, meast said:

It's strange how whenever a team gets bigged up by all and sundry they seem to fall flat on their faces after.

Good season for York, who, some were predicting were going to "do a Leigh" and take the RL world by storm only a few weeks ago.

But what will happen if Fev get promoted to SL? will they have to get their own players in or will they still be Leeds' reserve side?

A great season by York and their fans are undoubtedly mightily chuffed by the enjoyment that they provided. Getting beaten on the day by the current form team is no disgrace and they will already be looking forward to next season.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

15 hours ago, Private Baldrick said:

Ah, do you mean :-

'Are there any Rovers players who may have had indiscretions in their past that will bar them from entry into Canada should there be a need for Featherstone to play in Toronto?'

You could try ringing the Club if you are that concerned, do you want me to give you the number?

No need to be so touchy. I was simply wondering if Fev will be playing on a level(ish) playing field if they do go to Toronto in the play-offs.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived