20 Sept: SL Qualifying Final: Wigan Warriors v Salford Red Devils KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Salford Red Devils

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/09/19 at 18:45

Having seen little of Salford during this run of theirs, some of their last tackle options and just general leadership around the park was questionable (and I think that’s being kind). I don’t think Wigan were anything different than expected from a Wigan side at this stage of the year, they turn into this efficient, defensively sound side and they were exactly that tonight. 

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, 7723 said:

You must have been watching a different match.

This is why the game is dying on its feet.  Only interested in watching what the one eyed want to see.  Add to that what seems to be extensive lethargy. 

But increasingly in terms of attendance  these tv night games are a turn off for fans.

We can talk about the referee technicalities for as long as we want, but Salford are knocking on the door and they can only get better, and with a bt of luck, they could have won as they created more 50-50 goal line opportunities than Wigan. The luck went Wigan’s way tonight thats  for sure. 

We’re not goin away.

A lot of us Wigan fans were not too impressed with the teams attacking qualities. Great defence, Hastings try apart, and it had to be. Not too much optimism about going to Saints next week and with the view being that Salford will be far too good for Cas then we could well see a re-match in two weeks.The view was that it wouldn't be beyond the Reds to come back to the DW and win. They looked good tonight. 

Lam has his work cut out to improve the attack.

3 hours ago, Griff9of13 said:

Give over. If you watch the game back I'll bet it will work out 50/50 for strips/ball lost in the tackle for both sides. It's a lottery for the refs. Barry and/or Terry said as much in cometary.

Well ok, if Barry and Terry said it. I would rather see it with my own eyes, and Wigan, as usual, got away with strips at the play the ball that were crucial. But the ‘big’ teams always do, so it’s alright.

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Obviously, that is not true, for the club and its fans (with possibly one or two exceptions - ?) do. 

By the way, what part of the ground were you sitting in? 

I live in Gran Canaria John. So no, I wasn’t there tonight. But I was there last week against HKR. I have been to as many games as I can this year. What part of the ground were you sitting in?

7 hours ago, hullste said:

Clubb should have been sin binned for the elbow to Hastings head + penalty try. 

Agreed, although 8 point try is the term you were looking for.

6 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I was very surprised to see the pat on the head leading to a penalty

I was absolutely gobsmacked but it's about time sh*t like that was penalised.

6 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

I think Hicks said that to S'OL that clubs got an email in the week about the head patting. I'm happy to see it stamped out.

I couldn't hear it in the pub but, if that's correct, that's excellent from the RFL and astonishing that a Wigan player is (one of?) the first to be pinned for it. They are such a professional outfit you would have thought they'd have drilled it into their players not to do it.

As an aside, was it Kris Welham whose head Gildart patted?, if so, maybe the RFL brought this rule in just to protect him. If he had his head patted every time he made an error he'd have to go for a concussion assessment before half time.

If they also brought in all types of sledging as an offence then I can think of one Hull player that needs to change his game...

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

6 hours ago, johnh1 said:

I live in Gran Canaria John. So no, I wasn’t there tonight. But I was there last week against HKR. I have been to as many games as I can this year. What part of the ground were you sitting in?

I wasn't. But then, I wasn't spouting nonsense like you. 

35 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

If they also brought in all types of sledging as an offence then I can think of one Hull player that needs to change his game...

I believe Hull have been working on this and have found a possible solution 

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

I hope this is true.

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

I couldn't hear it in the pub but, if that's correct, that's excellent from the RFL and astonishing that a Wigan player is (one of?) the first to be pinned for it. They are such a professional outfit you would have thought they'd have drilled it into their players not to do it.

That can't be right surely; according to the Cyclops brigade on here Wigan never get penalised. ?

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

8 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

This is why the game is dying on its feet.  Only interested in watching what the one eyed want to see.  Add to that what seems to be extensive lethargy. 

But increasingly in terms of attendance  these tv night games are a turn off for fans.

Could that be because not enough fan's can be bothered to get of their brown one's and go along to watch it?

Well go on explain to me why only five and a half thousand turned up at the HJ the other night and Wigan fan's didn't turn up in their numbers that have been at the DW for many Friday night games - which if I am not mistaken is the preferred match day for the club.

2 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Agreed, although 8 point try is the term you were looking for.

As an aside, was it Kris Welham whose head Gildart patted?, if so, maybe the RFL brought this rule in just to protect him. If he had his head patted every time he made an error he'd have to go for a concussion assessment before half time.

Good grief Rob, that being the case and if applied to your team the Hull FC dressing room would resemble a scene from "One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" 

8 hours ago, johnh1 said:

Obviously not watching when Wigan strip the ball then. Ok.

How could I comment on something I couldn't see. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I had to unsqueak my bum before commenting

SRD done good and run strong and showed they can manage play-off games win win win without winning.

Wigan deserved to win ....just.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

23 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Reds now have to play Castleford? Reds would've preferred  Wire, as they have stuffed them 3 x, meanwhile the results v Castleford are equal. March 17 Cas 24 Reds 20, June 21 Reds 26 Cas 16.

Salford will lose to Cas by 16 points, because they hostage%20clipart

I think the Tigers may be dark horses too and I do worry more aboyt them than almost ano other side at this point in the season.

Or is that just me talking through my squeaking anus?

10 hours ago, Father Ted said:

A lot of us Wigan fans were not too impressed with the teams attacking qualities. Great defence, Hastings try apart, and it had to be. Not too much optimism about going to Saints next week and with the view being that Salford will be far too good for Cas then we could well see a re-match in two weeks.The view was that it wouldn't be beyond the Reds to come back to the DW and win. They looked good tonight. 

Lam has his work cut out to improve the attack.

How many tries did Wigan score against Cas the other week?   Did you see Williams and the 50m+ break that led to his try?  Did you not see the movement to give Gildarts try?   Do you expect 6 tries every week... never mind in play offs ? 

"A lot of us Wigan fans were not too impressed with the teams attacking qualities "

Er ...... I think that's because SRD were playing well and you need to get a grip because that's exactly the type of run out you need for next week!

2 hours ago, kev p said:

What was the attendance last night?

Wigans lowest of the season.  One would be surprised if Salfords next match would be their lowest... we shall have to see.  Will Cas travel?

These are big games and RL are producing them and then drawing the curtains behind them. 

The best way I can put it is to say that there is a lack of coherence in the way RL is producing the game.   The product is good, but the horse is not bringing itself to drink the water.

Archived