Total Rugby League Fans Forum
John Drake

20 Sept: SL Qualifying Final: Wigan Warriors v Salford Red Devils KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

53 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Salford Red Devils

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/09/19 at 18:45

19 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Aye, great post, just about sums it up for me.

Think Mr Clubb will be required to have a wander over to Leeds this coming week, if his late elbow to the back of Hastings' head during the act of him scoring wasn't bad enough, taking Hastings out in the air a fraction after he kicked a bomb then following it up with head contact when Hastings objected should see a game or two. Why Sky failed to show a replay of the latter incident, I have no idea.

I've thought for a while now that the Pies will win the GF, defending like they did tonight hasn't really made me feel like changing my thoughts. They really do show that, after languishing in the lower half of the SL table earlier on this season, it's the business end of the season that counts.

Saints get a free weekend and if (partly because of that) they win, then they get another free weekend.  And as the top team so they should.  The system is designed to benefit the top team.  The so called hubcaps is ok, but the real benefit that teams play for is the  advantages they get to be at the top.

Saints are still in a favourable position... as long as they don't go undercooked.

47 minutes ago, hullste said:

You must be watching a different game pal. One in the first half went against Wigan but after that everything went Wigan's way. Clubb should have been sin binned for the elbow to Hastings head + penalty try. No excuse from Hicks not to check with the VR especially after Hastings complained. The last hand in was also a pivotal decision. 

You must have been watching a different match.

Patwigaw

Superb game that. Hastings looked like he was right at home at the DW. I think Salford have the better structure and play the better rugby, but we have better players across the piece. Hence our nudging it. I wasn’t sure how good we were going into this game, and am not much the wiser now. 

I was very surprised to see the pat on the head leading to a penalty (which may have been discussed here already). Is that always the case? I was also very surprised Hicks didn’t go to the VR for the try he called obstruction for. But these things even themselves out over a game and a season and it was as close as it deserved to be. 

Good luck to Salford next week. I hope they get a big crowd, they deserve it. 

If I were a betting man, I would put money on us doing this again in a couple of weeks. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Superb game that. Hastings looked like he was right at home at the DW. I think Salford have the better structure and play the better rugby, but we have better players across the piece. Hence our nudging it. I wasn’t sure how good we were going into this game, and am not much the wiser now. 

I was very surprised to see the pat on the head leading to a penalty (which may have been discussed here already). Is that always the case? I was also very surprised Hicks didn’t go to the VR for the try he called obstruction for. But these things even themselves out over a game and a season and it was as close as it deserved to be. 

I don't think Hastings did as much as I expected. I expect the reason is because Salford's game plan was to work over your middles, but I thought he would become more prominent as the game opened up. Agree with your summary and I said that during the game, Salford had the better territory but you had more players who could finish half chances.

I think Hicks said that to S'OL that clubs got an email in the week about the head patting. I'm happy to see it stamped out.

Having seen little of Salford during this run of theirs, some of their last tackle options and just general leadership around the park was questionable (and I think that’s being kind). I don’t think Wigan were anything different than expected from a Wigan side at this stage of the year, they turn into this efficient, defensively sound side and they were exactly that tonight. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, 7723 said:

You must have been watching a different match.

This is why the game is dying on its feet.  Only interested in watching what the one eyed want to see.  Add to that what seems to be extensive lethargy. 

But increasingly in terms of attendance  these tv night games are a turn off for fans.

Edited by Rupert Prince

We can talk about the referee technicalities for as long as we want, but Salford are knocking on the door and they can only get better, and with a bt of luck, they could have won as they created more 50-50 goal line opportunities than Wigan. The luck went Wigan’s way tonight thats  for sure. 

We’re not goin away.

A lot of us Wigan fans were not too impressed with the teams attacking qualities. Great defence, Hastings try apart, and it had to be. Not too much optimism about going to Saints next week and with the view being that Salford will be far too good for Cas then we could well see a re-match in two weeks.The view was that it wouldn't be beyond the Reds to come back to the DW and win. They looked good tonight. 

Lam has his work cut out to improve the attack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Griff9of13 said:

Give over. If you watch the game back I'll bet it will work out 50/50 for strips/ball lost in the tackle for both sides. It's a lottery for the refs. Barry and/or Terry said as much in cometary.

Well ok, if Barry and Terry said it. I would rather see it with my own eyes, and Wigan, as usual, got away with strips at the play the ball that were crucial. But the ‘big’ teams always do, so it’s alright.

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Obviously, that is not true, for the club and its fans (with possibly one or two exceptions - 🤔) do. 

By the way, what part of the ground were you sitting in? 

I live in Gran Canaria John. So no, I wasn’t there tonight. But I was there last week against HKR. I have been to as many games as I can this year. What part of the ground were you sitting in?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, hullste said:

Clubb should have been sin binned for the elbow to Hastings head + penalty try. 

Agreed, although 8 point try is the term you were looking for.

6 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I was very surprised to see the pat on the head leading to a penalty

I was absolutely gobsmacked but it's about time sh*t like that was penalised.

6 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

I think Hicks said that to S'OL that clubs got an email in the week about the head patting. I'm happy to see it stamped out.

I couldn't hear it in the pub but, if that's correct, that's excellent from the RFL and astonishing that a Wigan player is (one of?) the first to be pinned for it. They are such a professional outfit you would have thought they'd have drilled it into their players not to do it.

As an aside, was it Kris Welham whose head Gildart patted?, if so, maybe the RFL brought this rule in just to protect him. If he had his head patted every time he made an error he'd have to go for a concussion assessment before half time.

If they also brought in all types of sledging as an offence then I can think of one Hull player that needs to change his game...

• Haha 3

SL Steve Prescott Man of Steel 2016 - Danny Houghton  SL Top Gun 2016/2017 - Marc Sneyd (83%/89% goal success)

SL Hit Man 2016/2017 - Danny Houghton (1,289/1,123 tackles)  SL Club of the Year 2016 - Hull FC

SL Coach of the Year 2016 - Lee Radford   RL Challenge Cup Winners 2016/2017 - Hull FC

All in all, not a bad couple of years, I suppose...

6 hours ago, johnh1 said:

I live in Gran Canaria John. So no, I wasn’t there tonight. But I was there last week against HKR. I have been to as many games as I can this year. What part of the ground were you sitting in?

I wasn't. But then, I wasn't spouting nonsense like you. 

• Like 3

Four legs good - two legs bad

35 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

If they also brought in all types of sledging as an offence then I can think of one Hull player that needs to change his game...

I believe Hull have been working on this and have found a possible solution 

image.jpeg

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

I hope this is true.

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

I couldn't hear it in the pub but, if that's correct, that's excellent from the RFL and astonishing that a Wigan player is (one of?) the first to be pinned for it. They are such a professional outfit you would have thought they'd have drilled it into their players not to do it.

That can't be right surely; according to the Cyclops brigade on here Wigan never get penalised. 🤔

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Genuine question from a neutral and independent Wigan fan. How come the media match reports never pick up on the refereeing bias, prejudice and mistakes that are so clearly evident to forum members. Could it be that.. ...? 😂😂😂

Four legs good - two legs bad

8 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

This is why the game is dying on its feet.  Only interested in watching what the one eyed want to see.  Add to that what seems to be extensive lethargy. 

But increasingly in terms of attendance  these tv night games are a turn off for fans.

Could that be because not enough fan's can be bothered to get of their brown one's and go along to watch it?

Well go on explain to me why only five and a half thousand turned up at the HJ the other night and Wigan fan's didn't turn up in their numbers that have been at the DW for many Friday night games - which if I am not mistaken is the preferred match day for the club.

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

That's arguable. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Agreed, although 8 point try is the term you were looking for.

As an aside, was it Kris Welham whose head Gildart patted?, if so, maybe the RFL brought this rule in just to protect him. If he had his head patted every time he made an error he'd have to go for a concussion assessment before half time.

Good grief Rob, that being the case and if applied to your team the Hull FC dressing room would resemble a scene from "One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

See my reply to Rupert re attending games, could you not be bothered to attend and tge same for your two emoji likes, if there's the will to attend a way will be found.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, johnh1 said:

Obviously not watching when Wigan strip the ball then. Ok.

How could I comment on something I couldn't see. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I had to unsqueak my bum before commenting

SRD done good and run strong and showed they can manage play-off games win win win without winning.

Wigan deserved to win ....just.

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

Reds now have to play Castleford? Reds would've preferred  Wire, as they have stuffed them 3 x, meanwhile the results v Castleford are equal. March 17 Cas 24 Reds 20, June 21 Reds 26 Cas 16.

Salford will lose to Cas by 16 points, because they hostage%20clipart

RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones