The Grand Final band is...

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Up & coming bands? do you mean Fred's son, who works behind the bar at the Dog & Ferret in Wakefield, his mate has a band "We have been rehearsing for 6 months now, and we can finally play 3 chords together",  yeah, lets get him, he's local. Ignore the FA or RFU or NFL who get top 10 singers to perform, we are a local stage for local bands...... "Tut!"

No, you really are out of touch with the music scene aren't you granddad!

It's about groups/individuals who are already making their way on the first rung, you really haven't got a clue have you!

read and learn you old fart!

https://www.bigtop40.com/features/best-new-music-artists-bands-2019/

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Shed Seven have 36k followers on Twitter and 66k on FB. Top song on Spotify has had 6.7m listens.

Compared to last years band Blossoms - 103k on Twitter and 110k on FB and top song has had 40m listens. 

And the first person on the list of the link in my response to grandad Bleep1673 shows them with 67k followers and she's an unknown.

That's just a single example of how my idea whilst crazy to some shows you how much greater interest there is in unknown artists than a group albeit great in their time but was two decades ago. I bet any on that list would jump at the chance to play in front of a big audience and do it for a fraction of the cost of Shed 7.

We want people who are on the up, not old fogey's that people barely remember/never heard of.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Shed Seven have 36k followers on Twitter and 66k on FB. Top song on Spotify has had 6.7m listens.

Compared to last years band Blossoms - 103k on Twitter and 110k on FB and top song has had 40m listens. 

Tbf though most people who like a band on Facebook will be under 20 and the average age at a GF fan will be a lot older than that. 

Shed 7 is a great choice! The GF seem to be going down a northern/indie route and these are bang in for that with some good anthems.  SL now just need to get them in the middle of the field with a proper sound system like they do in NRL!

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

15 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Is it only male acts allowed on GF night? I don't get the 1990s love in? 

I only buy tickets each year in the hope that 911's year must be soon.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

What I wanna know is what happened to the first 6 sheds?? 

I believe David Cameron bought one of them for over £100,000 so that he had somewhere to write his turgid memoires.

Yet again, the Choir of the Chapel of King's College, Cambridge, is overlooked.  So, that's me decided; I won't be going!  

36 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Is it only male acts allowed on GF night? I don't get the 1990s love in? 

It's funny isnt it, all the talk about attracting a new modern audience and we are going with yet another male indie band who appeal to 40yr old men. 

Blossoms was a step forward last year, a current act, but if we are going to stick with the Indie route we need to be aiming bigger, there are some outstanding acts out there at the moment.

And then why just this one genre? I wonder whether we would benefit a bit more from a boyband kind of group where we would get the kids wanting to go and drag their parents along. They are far more obsessive about these kind of things. 

I'm sure Shed Seven will be great. But so were Razorlight, and so were The Charlatans.

36 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

Shed 7 is a great choice! The GF seem to be going down a northern/indie route and these are bang in for that with some good anthems.  SL now just need to get them in the middle of the field with a proper sound system like they do in NRL!

Agreed about using the pitch. Make a show of it. They did used to have the group on the pitch.

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

And that is exactly the point. 

Well yeah, so they’re better off getting a band that more people there will know and like than some modern student band that few people will have heard of. It would be like asking The Prodigy to play at the world crown green bowls tournament when you could get David Essex instead. 

53 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

And the first person on the list of the link in my response to grandad Bleep1673 shows them with 67k followers and she's an unknown.

That's just a single example of how my idea whilst crazy to some shows you how much greater interest there is in unknown artists than a group albeit great in their time but was two decades ago. I bet any on that list would jump at the chance to play in front of a big audience and do it for a fraction of the cost of Shed 7.

We want people who are on the up, not old fogey's that people barely remember/never heard of.

I think there is probably a place for both. I think we should make more of the fanzones and newer acts could get those buzzing. A half time slot could be on offer too and more of a well known anthem kind of band for pre-match. 

If we are trying to attract younger audiences, Shed Seven, Razorlight and the Charlatans ain't the way to do it.

Just now, Dave T said:

I think there is probably a place for both. I think we should make more of the fanzones and newer acts could get those buzzing. A half time slot could be on offer too and more of a well known anthem kind of band for pre-match. 

If we are trying to attract younger audiences, Shed Seven, Razorlight and the Charlatans ain't the way to do it.

Surely nobody is going to pay £50 for a GF ticket just so they can see a band for 10 minutes beforehand?

Just now, Eddie said:

Well yeah, so they’re better off getting a band that more people there will know and like than some modern student band that few people will have heard of. It would be like asking The Prodigy to play at the world crown green bowls tournament when you could get David Essex instead. 

Well no. Playing to a converted niche crowd will not grow the game and change the audience average age.

Just now, Eddie said:

Surely nobody is going to pay £50 for a GF ticket just so they can see a band for 10 minutes beforehand?

Why use the £50 tickets? Why not the £20 ones. Even cheaper for kids.

Are you genuinely telling me that if we went big and got say George Ezra, or Little Mix that we wouldn't get people who want to see them? 

16 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Why use the £50 tickets? Why not the £20 ones. Even cheaper for kids.

Are you genuinely telling me that if we went big and got say George Ezra, or Little Mix that we wouldn't get people who want to see them? 

I doubt if many people would go just because of that? If they would though (tbh I have no idea what lengths teenagers would go to to see those acts) then you’re right SL are missing a trick. Though there might be a risk of half the crowd leaving before the game starts. 

nothing against the sheds but who decided this? a festival trawling band with very limited appeal  who have all the kids and family backstage at those awful middle class festivals, why not run a young "battle of the bands" comp in conjunction    with the rl  season where the winner gets to play at the gf- thus generating more interest with the yung uns 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

I for one am outraged that the late Gracie Fields has yet again been overlooked. Harrumph! :kolobok_angry2:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived