The Grand Final band is...

6 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

Hopefully they will take a different approach with regards to next years musical act instead of a band who hasn't released anything since the 90's, unless it is Sultans Of Ping because having the Old Trafford crowd bouncing to Where's Me Jumper? would get the whole stadium buzzing before the teams come out.

Dancing in the disco, bumper to bumper?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

....lacklustre. Please no more 90s bands like Shed Seven. They sucked.

Having lived through the Britpop era I’d never heard of them (googled them and was surprised they were associated with that movement, albeit not as commercially successful as others in it).

10 hours ago, M j M said:

Yup, they just didn't grab the crowd's attention.

The only one which has really worked in recent years has been James in, I think, the Ben Flower final?

Was. Great song too (also the tune to a Mo Salah chant).

8 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

The crowd would either have never heard of them or it would have been 20 years since they last had any relevance to them so no wonder they didn't really grab the crowds attention. I appreciate that Super League doesn't have much money to throw around so can't afford a really big name but surely there would have been someone more modern out there who could have been available who the crowd would appreciate more.

Hopefully they will take a different approach with regards to next years musical act instead of a band who hasn't released anything since the 90's, unless it is Sultans Of Ping because having the Old Trafford crowd bouncing to Where's Me Jumper? would get the whole stadium buzzing before the teams come out.

Don’t think James released much since then either. The issue was the lack of a great song. “Chasing Rainbows” (just listened to it on YouTube) is pretty drab. Looking at the  number of views it has it’s not much of a draw.

Thinking of an affordable act that hasn’t released much in ages (or anything commercial), “Dignity” by Deacon Blue would have had a bigger effect. Or more recent, “Shining Light” by Ash.

On 17/09/2019 at 15:10, Man of Kent said:

...Shed Seven. 

http://bit.ly/2mkWCVo

Bit meh. Popular about 20 years ago, weren’t they?

Not a clue who they were, what they have done, but it was in my opinion 'painful' the missus muted the sound before I could get the remote, definatley music for the hard of thinking?

PS it would have been far better with 20 minutes of Laura Wright, I remember a few years ago in a test at the Etihad there was a new upcoming soprano who entertained the crowd for about 20 minutes her name was Katherine Jenkins, now that was very good.

On 17/09/2019 at 15:53, Curly perm said:

Shed Seven haven’t been on Radio 1 for 20yrs! ?

Strange one this. Maybe they’re class live as some people have said and they’ll do well. As far as 90s indie bands go, they were second division. They weren’t Oasis, Verve, Pulp, Blur etc 

They weren’t second division either (I’d have a much better band Cast in there). Now that I’ve mentioned them, Cast would have been a decent choice. “Walkaway” being used as England exited Euro ‘96 is a stand out moment from the Britpop era.

Shed Seven themselves arent the major issue. It is the whole setup. It is pretty much identical to 5 years ago when we started this new approach with James.

We have repeated it each year with decent bands but far less catchy anthems than Sit Down.

Shoving the band in the corner with poor sound and visibility for the majority of the stadium is just rubbish. I watched it on TV with a couple of Scottish friends and they were asking why they had Shed Seven on and why were they tucked away in the corner. They thought it was rubbish.

This concept dated very very quickly. 

We may move on in around 10 years.

23 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

PS it would have been far better with 20 minutes of Laura Wright, I remember a few years ago in a test at the Etihad there was a new upcoming soprano who entertained the crowd for about 20 minutes her name was Katherine Jenkins, now that was very good.

Not a bad idea that, Harry, if she sang a few crowd-pleasers. The poor love must be sick of singing only Jerusalem!

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Shed Seven themselves arent the major issue. It is the whole setup. It is pretty much identical to 5 years ago when we started this new approach with James.

We have repeated it each year with decent bands but far less catchy anthems than Sit Down.

Shoving the band in the corner with poor sound and visibility for the majority of the stadium is just rubbish. I watched it on TV with a couple of Scottish friends and they were asking why they had Shed Seven on and why were they tucked away in the corner. They thought it was rubbish.

This concept dated very very quickly. 

We may move on in around 10 years.

I'm agreed with this. I was/am a great fan of Shed Seven but it didn't work yesterday and didn't come across great on TV. From those at the ground it didn't seem any better there.

Very few of those bands from that era have the sorts of songs that will get a stadium rocking. It probably is now time for a bit of a reboot of how it's all done.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The set-up isn’t great and the sound is poor but the band is a major issue. If AC/DC were playing (just for the sake of argument) you can be sure the crowd would be into it.

As it was, the Saints fans gave Shed Seven due attention for all of two minutes, decided they were rubbish then sang about marching in and whatnot.

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

I'm agreed with this. I was/am a great fan of Shed Seven but it didn't work yesterday and didn't come across great on TV. From those at the ground it didn't seem any better there.

Very few of those bands from that era have the sorts of songs that will get a stadium rocking. It probably is now time for a bit of a reboot of how it's all done.

I am a fan of Blossoms and was at OT when they were on but that didnt work either.

Unfortunately, Indie music with poor sound and tucked away just comes across as dirge. And I say that as an Indie music fan.

You either have to do it properly, or not at all.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I am a fan of Blossoms and was at OT when they were on but that didnt work either.

Unfortunately, Indie music with poor sound and tucked away just comes across as dirge. And I say that as an Indie music fan.

You either have to do it properly, or not at all.

I completely agree Dave. Even to Indie fans that wasn't uplifting yesterday.

I always knew you were a man of fine taste, bar club preference obviously ?.

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

The set-up isn’t great and the sound is poor but the band is a major issue. If AC/DC were playing (just for the sake of argument) you can be sure the crowd would be into it.

As it was, the Saints fans gave Shed Seven due attention for all of two minutes, decided they were rubbish then sang about marching in and whatnot.

Yes, band selection is an issue, but a band like Shed Seven can put on a good show and with the right presentation would come across well.

If you are going to stick with the current presentation, I agree the only way it can work is with a massive band with massive anthems.

On 17/09/2019 at 15:58, Eddie said:

They were as big as The Verve and Pulp. I’ll give you Oasis and Blur (who were terrible) but I doubt SL would get either of them to play. 

Maybe in your house Eddie...out in the real world...

On 17/09/2019 at 16:25, Curly perm said:

Haha ok, fair enough. Each to their own. Lots of Shed Seven fans on here so maybe they ARE the right band for the RL demographic! 

It’s nonsense, and having googled their discography (just to see if my memory was playing tricks on me) they were not in the same stratosphere of those bands. Cast (a second tier Britpop band) had much more success

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cast_(band)#Discography

Three top 10 albums (7, 3, 6), and 7 top 10 singles. 

Shed seven. Two top 10 albums (8, 9), and 1 top 10 single 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shed_Seven_discography

Third division at best. Drab songs, and it showed in the crowd.

Expecting a band used to playing in front of modest sized crowds to control a 65k crowd in a stadium, when you have armed them with not much more than a karaoke setup is unfair.

Only certain acts could do anything with that, James were clearly one. Every band since then havent been able to and it ain't their fault.

That is how you can be confident it is the setup that is the biggest issue.

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Expecting a band used to playing in front of modest sized crowds to control a 65k crowd in a stadium, when you have armed them with not much more than a karaoke setup is unfair.

Only certain acts could do anything with that, James were clearly one. Every band since then havent been able to and it ain't their fault.

That is how you can be confident it is the setup that is the biggest issue.

They would be much better going with a well know singer actually on the ground, with dancers etc. Someone well known with anthem style tunes. Even Heather Small on the pitch would have been better than Shed Seven stuck in the corner and she hasn't been around for years.

It's down to budget. Who do you get? If we stick with an Indie theme Only Liam Gallagher or the Sone Roses fit the headliners bill. Who else is there? It's down to approach and marketing. The Grand Final should be full no matter who plays there. Spend £50-100k on a big star. Reduce the tickets a bit, have the retiring players walk out. Crikey it's our showpiece final SELL IT.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Well I thought Shed Seven were great. Going for Gold and Chasing Rainbows just before the team came out was ace. Room in my House and Disco Down at half time was good too.

I agree about the stage being tucked in the corner out of the way, but I suppose that cancels the risk of the October Manchester climate ruining the gig...

1 hour ago, Mumby Magic said:

It's down to budget. Who do you get? If we stick with an Indie theme Only Liam Gallagher or the Sone Roses fit the headliners bill. Who else is there? It's down to approach and marketing. The Grand Final should be full no matter who plays there. Spend £50-100k on a big star. Reduce the tickets a bit, have the retiring players walk out. Crikey it's our showpiece final SELL IT.

But these things we are talking about are how to sell it.

4 hours ago, DC77 said:

Having lived through the Britpop era I’d never heard of them (googled them and was surprised they were associated with that movement, albeit not as commercially successful as others in it).

Don’t think James released much since then either. The issue was the lack of a great song. “Chasing Rainbows” (just listened to it on YouTube) is pretty drab. Looking at the  number of views it has it’s not much of a draw.

Thinking of an affordable act that hasn’t released much in ages (or anything commercial), “Dignity” by Deacon Blue would have had a bigger effect. Or more recent, “Shining Light” by Ash.

James have released a number of albums over recent years including their latest which made number 2 in the charts. They continue to make great music and are outstanding live.

Shed Seven also released a new album a couple of years ago and are excellent live. Their Shedcember tour is worth going to

7 hours ago, DC77 said:

It is surprising that you lived through the Britpop era but hadn't heard of Shed Seven.

They had Deacon Blue 13 years ago. They have also had Madness who I watched earlier this year and were amazing.

How much does it actually cost for a band for 5 songs? I appreciate they get paid for their time rather than number of songs. However, if we’re showcasing a band to an international audience, giving some publicity which they haven’t had for some time, isn’t there value in that?

7 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

Well I thought Shed Seven were great. Going for Gold and Chasing Rainbows just before the team came out was ace. Room in my House and Disco Down at half time was good too.

I agree about the stage being tucked in the corner out of the way, but I suppose that cancels the risk of the October Manchester climate ruining the gig...

Stop being so reasonable, you'll ruin the thread!! ?

I agree btw.

Some folk will never be happy, no matter who gets the gig.

Maybe they should draft a certain well known Mancunian pop personage to serenade us all with this next year... 

7 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

Well I thought Shed Seven were great. Going for Gold and Chasing Rainbows just before the team came out was ace.

Until now I honestly had no idea there was a different Going for Gold song to this - now if they got whoever did this on stage the place would be rocking.

Archived