The Grand Final band is...

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was a fan of this indie approach when they started it what 5 years ago, but just shoving an old band in the corner while they unfold the sheets on the pitch has become really tired now.

I dont mind Shed 7 as a band though.

Just now, Dave T said:

I was a fan of this indie approach when they started it what 5 years ago, but just shoving an old band in the corner while they unfold the sheets on the pitch has become really tired now.

I dont mind Shed 7 as a band though.

They've got a bit of a reputation for giving good gig.

Should be a fun one, if nothing else.

(The overall thrust of your point stands).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

They've got a bit of a reputation for giving good gig.

Should be a fun one, if nothing else.

(The overall thrust of your point stands).

Yeah, I *think* I watched them a while back, but my memory is a touch hazy. 

I was in that corner when Razorlight was on and it came across well. Last year when Blossoms were the act I was surprised how badly it came across and I wasn't sat that far away. 

The first time they went down this route was for James and that was excellent, mainly because of the anthems. 

I watched them last summer at a sold out Castlefield Bowl with 8k there, and I'll be watching them at Leeds Arena this December with around 10k there.

Their latest album Instant Pleasures came out at the end of 2017 and was in the top 10 of the album chart for a fair while.

Hardly irrelevant. If they do 'Chasing Rainbows', 'Going for Gold' and 'Room in my House' they should have the gaff bouncing!

1 minute ago, fairfolly said:

I must be getting old, never heard of them, mind you I do not listen to Radio 1.

Shed Seven haven’t been on Radio 1 for 20yrs! ?

Strange one this. Maybe they’re class live as some people have said and they’ll do well. As far as 90s indie bands go, they were second division. They weren’t Oasis, Verve, Pulp, Blur etc 

4 minutes ago, Curly perm said:

Shed Seven haven’t been on Radio 1 for 20yrs! ?

Strange one this. Maybe they’re class live as some people have said and they’ll do well. As far as 90s indie bands go, they were second division. They weren’t Oasis, Verve, Pulp, Blur etc 

They were as big as The Verve and Pulp. I’ll give you Oasis and Blur (who were terrible) but I doubt SL would get either of them to play. 

16 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

I watched them last summer at a sold out Castlefield Bowl with 8k there, and I'll be watching them at Leeds Arena this December with around 10k there.

Their latest album Instant Pleasures came out at the end of 2017 and was in the top 10 of the album chart for a fair while.

Hardly irrelevant. If they do 'Chasing Rainbows', 'Going for Gold' and 'Room in my House' they should have the gaff bouncing!

And Disco Down - can’t wait. 

I think it would be a great idea if they got upcoming acts/bands/soloists to do the GF and even Wembley plus maybe internationals too. Invite groups/singers etc to put forward their demo, put it online and get fans to vote who they'd like to see for certain events.

This gives them great exposure, it creates more interest for fans to watch something new before a match and there's a cross-over into the music industry as I don't think such a big stage/sporting fixture would have a new upcoming act headlining a big event before.

23 minutes ago, Eddie said:

They were as big as The Verve and Pulp. I’ll give you Oasis and Blur (who were terrible) but I doubt SL would get either of them to play. 

Haha ok, fair enough. Each to their own. Lots of Shed Seven fans on here so maybe they ARE the right band for the RL demographic! 

8 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

I think it would be a great idea if they got upcoming acts/bands/soloists to do the GF and even Wembley plus maybe internationals too. Invite groups/singers etc to put forward their demo, put it online and get fans to vote who they'd like to see for certain events.

This gives them great exposure, it creates more interest for fans to watch something new before a match and there's a cross-over into the music industry as I don't think such a big stage/sporting fixture would have a new upcoming act headlining a big event before.

Crazy talk...Cast for 2020, Dodgy for 2021. 

4 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Up & coming bands? do you mean Fred's son, who works behind the bar at the Dog & Ferret in Wakefield, his mate has a band "We have been rehearsing for 6 months now, and we can finally play 3 chords together",  yeah, lets get him, he's local. Ignore the FA or RFU or NFL who get top 10 singers to perform, we are a local stage for local bands...... "Tut!"

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Shed Seven have 36k followers on Twitter and 66k on FB. Top song on Spotify has had 6.7m listens.

Compared to last years band Blossoms - 103k on Twitter and 110k on FB and top song has had 40m listens. 

Those are exactly the kind of figures that matter these days but obviously nobody paid any attention to them when making this booking. I grew up listening to the likes of Shed Seven and have no doubt they are good live but talk about an underwhelming announcement. 

Archived