Trains, Planes & Automobiles

13 hours ago, Padge said:

Just flown back into the UK from Greece on a Thomas Cook flight.

Under the circumstance the staff were absolutely superb and profesional, one steward seemed to be on a one man PR campaign, answering as many questions as possible with the very limited information he had and reassuring people who had other holidays already booked and explaining  how ATOL worked.

When we got back to Manchester the Head Stewardess thanked her crew for working professionally under difficult circumstances,  a spontaneous round of applause broke out.

Amongst the £billion headlines there are human beings trying their best to do their best in circumstances where in 7 days time they could be grounded and out of a job.

Hats off to the Thomas Cook staff.

It looks like we got back just in time as at 2:00am Thomas Cook went bust.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Had a go on this a few months back. Absolutely brilliant experience, especially being at the helm when we left the Humber and headed out into the North Sea.

spacer.png

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

35 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Had a go on this a few months back. Absolutely brilliant experience, especially being at the helm when we left the Humber and headed out into the North Sea.

spacer.png

I'd be nervous of the crew's experience, if they need to be told in big letters which bit of the boat is the hull. :kolobok_wink:

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Last class on the sh*thole express"...

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=uBfPm_1569134750

Or if you don't fancy that you could always take the bus...

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=9JFBR_1569171942

But I'd be a bit wary of having a vehicle delivered by this aeroplane...

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=uPkCR_1569186101

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

I'd be nervous of the crew's experience, if they need to be told in big letters which bit of the boat is the hull. :kolobok_wink:

I blame Old Frightful for the confusion ?

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

And here's another example of an Indian open air express...

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=905aL_1569920353

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

On 01/10/2019 at 20:06, Old Frightful said:

And here's another example of an Indian open air express...

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=905aL_1569920353

A lot of people breaking Health & Safety Regs there, some are standing up.

• Haha 1

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

4 hours ago, Shadow said:

I remembered another means of transport I've taken and I suspect @Padgehas done the same.

Not sure what you'd call it...basket sledge maybe?

Image result for madeira sledge

Yeah do that one - Madeira

On 04/10/2019 at 09:07, Shadow said:

I remembered another means of transport I've taken and I suspect @Padgehas done the same.

Not sure what you'd call it...basket sledge maybe?

Image result for madeira sledge

I can't claim that one, WTF is it

8 minutes ago, Padge said:

I can't claim that one, WTF is it

I was sure I remembered you'd been to madeira.

It's a massive basket with seats in on a sledge that gets pushed down the mountain at a ludicrous speed.

13 hours ago, Shadow said:

It's a massive basket with seats in on a sledge that gets pushed down the mountain at a ludicrous speed.

Nope, never been to Maderia.

17 hours ago, Shadow said:

And they charge you a fortune for it IIRC

• 1 year later...
On 06/10/2019 at 14:04, shaun mc said:

And they charge you a fortune for it IIRC

We baulked at the price a couple of years ago. Entertaining to watch though. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Once did the lapland christmas holiday,the sledge ride from airport to ice hotel were about 6 sledges pulled by 4 deers, they set you up in thermal suits and big boots and cover you in smelly goat skins and goggles, he told everyone to keep the goggles on as it was minus 34 or more with wind factor, yep,i had to have a peep as we went along and froze my eyes up in a flash. watching them de-ice the plane before takoff was scarey too and sheets of ice falling off as we went down runway.

Viking Line's Stockholm-Turku ferry the Viking Grace aground near Mariehamn.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55029358

_115594673_064436215.jpg

She appears to have come to grief adjacent to the little path along from the port which is the best place to see and photograph the ships as they come and go for their very brief calls into the main port of Aland (which enables them to claim duty free status and decant round trip passengers on €1 fares who connect to the ship going back the other way).

Not a ship I am a massive fan (too busy/congested circulation spaces on every sailing I've done on her, ugly rotor sail on top) but still this isn't good for a company struggling to stay in business during the virus.

On 20/11/2020 at 18:29, Futtocks said:

Thanks for that, Futtocks.  I know of the Schwebebahn in Wuppertal, but have never been there and I think this is possibly the only moving picture footage I have seen.

In my time dealing with visiting choirs at Salisbury Cathedral, I confirmed a week's residency for a choir from Wuppertal.  They were technically good singers, but with no first hand experience of Anglican cathedral liturgical practice.  So I went way beyond the call of duty (and my job description!) both before and when they arrived.  I wrote a simple guide to Anglican psalm chanting for them, and went through each day's music to help with their understanding and pronunciation.  Sod's Law, they had to sing one of the more obscure psalm texts at one day's evensong, psalm 60, which includes the gem that Stephen Fry used for his autobiography's title, "Moab is my wash-pot".  Needless to say, I was asked what it meant; I said the psalmist wasn't being very polite about the land of Moab!

By way of a 'thank you', they sent me a few little Wuppertal trinkets on their return, including a mega-pencil depicting the Schwebebahn.  Apparently, it still functions, albeit round about the time of their visit it was closed for some months for extensive repair and renovation.

1 minute ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Apparently, it still functions, albeit round about the time of their visit it was closed for some months for extensive repair and renovation.

Still running, although the carriages look somewhat more modern.

• Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson