Trains, Planes & Automobiles

1 hour ago, shaun mc said:

No real idea sorry, apart from it wasn't Ryanair or Easyjet. A guess would be Thomas Cook or Thomson.

Definitely 1997 as it is easy to remember for me - I flew out the day after Princess Diana died

Shame, might have been able to work out the model from the airline, was kind of hoping it would have been one of the budget airlines because they only tend to fly one model of plane rather than a mixed fleet. 

Stock movement!

I remember being well chuffed back in '99 stood on the station at Boulogne-Tintelleries when a five-strong rake of my absolute favourite locos of all time, the SNCF BB67000, all in original blue livery, charged past on a train de machines; but this demonstration of German might, is particularly impressive example.

• Like 1

Night train service Paris - Nice re-instated this year

After years of cutting services France are expanding their night train network, and are re-furbing a lot of kit

Europewide is gearing up for more night trains. Good to see

• Like 2

On 29/01/2021 at 19:16, M j M said:

Stock movement!

I remember being well chuffed back in '99 stood on the station at Boulogne-Tintelleries when a five-strong rake of my absolute favourite locos of all time, the SNCF BB67000, all in original blue livery, charged past on a train de machines; but this demonstration of German might, is particularly impressive example.

Shame they were all heading to the scrapyard. 😞

3 hours ago, shaun mc said:

Night train service Paris - Nice re-instated this year

After years of cutting services France are expanding their night train network, and are re-furbing a lot of kit

Europewide is gearing up for more night trains. Good to see

This is exciting news. If they call it the Blue Train and put proper sleeping cars on it it would be even better but I suspect that's not the case, initially at least.

The Nice route is great in particular because of that long run along the coast from Marseille in the morning - as long as you get a compartment facing the right way anyway.

18 minutes ago, M j M said:

This is exciting news. If they call it the Blue Train and put proper sleeping cars on it it would be even better but I suspect that's not the case, initially at least.

If they bring back the Blue Train, then we'll need some new Bentley Boys to race it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Train_Races 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A new railway station has been opened in the village of Bow Street, a few miles outside of Aberystwyth. Always good to see new rail infrastructure!  

Any new stations or lines opening up near anyone on here? Obviously I'm not directing that question at Leigh fans. 

The line we want reopened round here is Beverley to York but the latest studies show there is basically no way that is happening. Shame because the trains between Hull and York would probably be so much quicker going that way than the way they go now. I'd also like to see Beverley to Hornsea because that road between those places is absolute hell quite frankly, crashes on almost a daily basis. Trains between Hull and Hornsea would be fantastic. 

3 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

A new railway station has been opened in the village of Bow Street, a few miles outside of Aberystwyth. Always good to see new rail infrastructure!  

Any new stations or lines opening up near anyone on here? Obviously I'm not directing that question at Leigh fans. 

The line we want reopened round here is Beverley to York but the latest studies show there is basically no way that is happening. Shame because the trains between Hull and York would probably be so much quicker going that way than the way they go now. I'd also like to see Beverley to Hornsea because that road between those places is absolute hell quite frankly, crashes on almost a daily basis. Trains between Hull and Hornsea would be fantastic. 

The local stations where I grew up were both closed (before I was born) following Beeching - Pool-in-Wharfedale and Arthington. Pool was on the branch line to Otley which was ripped up but there has been talk for years of re-opening the station at Arthington which is on the Leeds-Harrogate main line. I'm not sure it will ever happen but it makes for a nice local newspaper headline.

Arthington station could be reopened

Where I live now is near to Apperley Bridge station which is on the Leeds-Bradford Forster Square line and also the Leeds-Skipton (thence Settle/Carlisle) line. The station closed in 1965 and was reopened in December 2015. If I worked in central Bradford or Leeds it would be really useful - and it makes going to Leeds in particular for shopping/nights out easier.

Here are some pictures of the first train on re-opening day.

abs1.jpg

abs2.jpg

abs4.jpg

abs5.jpg

abs6.jpg

abs3.jpg

• Like 1

The wreckage of TWA Flight 800, which was reconstructed for the investigation and then used for NTSB training, is going to be destroyed. They say its use for training was with the stipulation that it would never be used for exhibit or public display.

I'll admit it is a somewhat ghoulish sight but they could create a lasting memorial if they'd turned it into something similar to the Museum for the Memory of Ustica in Bologna which is one of the most haunting museums I've ever seen.

Museo-per-la-Memoria-di-Ustica-Bologna.-Christian-Boltanski-A-proposito-di-Ustica-2007.-Photo-Sandro-Capati.jpg

Got the bus today from Asda. to home, as I exited the store I saw my bus drive by 100m to the bus stop, it is close enough to the bus depot where the lazy a**e drivers smoke themselves to death, when I got to the bus stop, there was the same bus. The driver was doing a word search in a magazine she had. I sat there and waited 5 minutes, then asked her if she was on strike, or waiting to finish her word search before moving, she told me to P**s off and started the engine, she then drove 5 stops, and switched everything off again for ten minutes, enough time for me to waalk home

4 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Got the bus today from Asda. to home, as I exited the store I saw my bus drive by 100m to the bus stop, it is close enough to the bus depot where the lazy a**e drivers smoke themselves to death, when I got to the bus stop, there was the same bus. The driver was doing a word search in a magazine she had. I sat there and waited 5 minutes, then asked her if she was on strike, or waiting to finish her word search before moving, she told me to P**s off and started the engine, she then drove 5 stops, and switched everything off again for ten minutes, enough time for me to waalk home

Is this some sort of complaint about buses inconveniently running to time? 

22 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

For those interested in the European night trains.....Live link for tomorrow

Genuinely excited by this 🙂

Taking the night train is one of my absolute favourite ways to travel and the loss of Europe's overnight connections in the past 20 years really disheartening. Obviously new carriages won't have the old-school charm of the ones I remember from my childhood (and the unrefurbished ones that were still in service until just a decade or so ago in Italy) but just to see them back on the agenda is fantastic.

I've done a few mid-distance (i.e most of the day) journeys but not an overnight one yet - definitely on the 'to do' list

There is now such a lot of activity being posted on those I follow on Twitter on the future operation of night trains, primarily led by OBB, but now SNCF are seeming to reverse years of night train reductions. The Paris-nice service is due to start next month - but no tickets or journeys can be found yet (per Man in Seat 61)

SNCF have posted a lot of pictures of them refurbing their carriages as well

15 hours ago, M j M said:

Is this some sort of complaint about buses inconveniently running to time? 

There is no such thing as "On Time" around here, the bus company* have pulled the timetables from public view, and the drivers refuse to disclose when they run. This wasn't a complaint about running on time, but a complaint that the hidden tables seem to allow the drivers much more leisure time whilst supposedly working, if they have to take a newspaper, or a word search book out with them whilst driving, then there is something wrong with the tables.

*Singular, Monopoly.