Trains, Planes & Automobiles

14 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I haven't done this myself, but my mum's been on the Falkirk Wheel. When you think how many locks this replaced, that's a huge change in elevation.

Thanks for the video.

Amazingly I'd never heard of the Falkirk Wheel.

I'm very impressed.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, M j M said:

Inspired by Padge, pictures of a sail through the Corinth Canal back in 2007, on the ferry from Ancona to Cesme.

Great pics, glad I gave you a memory jog.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 09/03/2021 at 13:44, Martyn Sadler said:

Thanks for the video.

Amazingly I'd never heard of the Falkirk Wheel.

I'm very impressed.

Well worth a visit - a real marvel of engineering. Falkirk itself is like a Scottish Widnes, but the wheel and the Kelpies are definitely worth a stopover.

On 10/03/2021 at 14:06, JonM said:

Well worth a visit - a real marvel of engineering. Falkirk itself is like a Scottish Widnes, but the wheel and the Kelpies are definitely worth a stopover.

I used to have a friend from Falkirk, he said it was more like Huyton, without the highlights.. I assumed he he meant tourist highlights, as there are enough hair highlights to go round in Falkirk on his mullett.

• 2 weeks later...

I know ships aren't mentioned in the thread title but ... here is a map of every GPS-equipped ship out there.

kpGzhO0.png

Yellow = Cargo ship

Orange = Tanker (presumably includes chemicals as well as oil and gas)

Blue = Fishing vessels

https://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9811000

Here is the ship stuck in the Suez Canal. You can even see the names of the tugs trying to pull it back into the main channel.

YsRQsM1.png

• Like 1

Travelling from Munich to Linz in Austria we decided to book seats. It was an OBB service with only 4 carriages - a family coach, a quiet coach and 2 standard coaches. The family coach has a mini cinema on OBB. Kids travel free up to the age of 6

image.png.eb085083d6f5d4f67b4b67a2d35cc7ab.png

• 2 weeks later...

A trip on a Japanese Sleeper Train, travelling first class.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, shaun mc said:

First trip on a train yesterday in over a year

Very impressive new (ish) trains with TransPennine Express

https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/travelling-with-us/the-nova-fleets/nova-2

Mind you, compared to a Pacer, this would feel like luxury.

0856526c9debf71a39a7c2c562f52845.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 09/03/2021 at 23:37, M j M said:

Inspired by Padge, pictures of a sail through the Corinth Canal back in 2007, on the ferry from Ancona to Cesme. [Images snipped...]

Nice. I'm a geologist and used to run a field trip where we did an exercise along the banks of the Corinth Canal. In some of those images you can see some geological faults which we got the participants to map on each side of the canal. Then we had a quick boat trip through the canal and back. I miss doing that trip but I'd be surprised if I get to run it again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...