Trains, Planes & Automobiles

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There's a bloke on Etsy selling various original Trolleybus/bus name signs (the ones on the roll you had to wind round.) Alot are national but There's one that features my upper school, first house and current residence. Tempted but at 25 quid???. I'd link but one I don't know how to and two if I'd be allowed. 😒😒

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

On 10/07/2021 at 10:56, Mumby Magic said:

There's a bloke on Etsy selling various original Trolleybus/bus name signs (the ones on the roll you had to wind round.) Alot are national but There's one that features my upper school, first house and current residence. Tempted but at 25 quid???. I'd link but one I don't know how to and two if I'd be allowed. 😒😒

They had Trolley buses when you went to school, I thought you walked to the pit?

A programme next Monday (the 19th) that might interest people on this thread: https://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/nw6mzs/secrets-of-the-london-underground-season-1/?episode=nw6mzt 

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 15/07/2021 at 18:45, Futtocks said:

A programme next Monday (the 19th) that might interest people on this thread: https://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/nw6mzs/secrets-of-the-london-underground-season-1/?episode=nw6mzt 

Episode 1 of this has started, and I am enjoying it!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, this is, er, different.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, M j M said:

There's lots of aspects to this video that it's a shame to have lost (not John Stapleton's lazy assumption that steam locos were more interesting though).

I do love a good 70s diesel loco. I remember a couple of times after evening games at the Circle/KC/KCOM/MKM and I went back for the train, there would be one of those big locos sat in the station hauling some goods wagons. The sound and smell when it set off was just amazing!

Other Hull fans were looking at me like I was a right sad act when I was basically messing my trousers up but I didn't care! A couple of times the flying banana was sat in there as well and I got myself a few photos, I don't care what people think, I enjoy myself! 😁

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, voteronniegibbs said:

From an airshow we were at today in Lincolnshire, an impressive mode of transport

ek5.jpg.0de4236187deb456c7a227fdd2978488.jpg

Having been buzzed at low altitude by that thing, I'd say it isn't the most discreet mode of transport, though. My ears were ringing for ages afterwards.

• Haha 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

21 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Having been buzzed at low altitude by that thing, I'd say it isn't the most discreet mode of transport, though. My ears were ringing for ages afterwards.

I remember the Vulcan's farewell tour. I went up to Scarborough and was down on the front when it came over and banked round the castle. Deafening, probably the loudest thing ive ever heard. Best thing about it though was I couldn't here that woman who lives in my house moaning for a few hours! 😉

• Like 1

On 07/08/2021 at 23:18, Futtocks said:

You can certainly tell when the air shows near us have a Lancaster making an appearance, the throbbing of the engines making an approach to either Barton or Southport shows as they fly over Wigan can be heard, and felt, a good few minutes before you see the plane itself go over and the distinct engine noise means you know a Lancaster is on its way.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 07/08/2021 at 23:42, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I remember the Vulcan's farewell tour. I went up to Scarborough and was down on the front when it came over and banked round the castle. Deafening, probably the loudest thing ive ever heard. Best thing about it though was I couldn't here that woman who lives in my house moaning for a few hours! 😉

I can remember Vulcans using the bombing range at Cowden on the East Yorkshire Coast . Also (only just) remember Lightening fighters buzzing around the same area .

Years later when fishing out of Hornsea we had to radio up RAF Cowden and ask permission to work our Crab pots that we set within the firing rages boundary  . 

Jaguars , Tornados plus American thunderbolts (tank busters?) also used the area .

Great to watch , ear defenders should have been used , very loud . 

• Like 2

On 07/08/2021 at 23:42, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I was a foreman at Rols Royce and  had a lot of dealings with the Olympus 301 Vulcan engine. Occasionally I had to go to the test bed to see one being run up. Even in the control room and wearing a headset you could feel the power with every fibre of one's being.

I worked on the industrial and Marine versions too. The Industrial version was used to generate electricity and the marine version powered warships.

It was originally developed by Bristol Siddley before being gobbled up by RR.

A later updated version powered Concorde too.

Edited by Bearman
  • Like 2

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

38 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

On a Javelin train. Never heard of them.

They are really good trains, based on the Hitachi A Train. Compared to the service being offered before they were introduced, it's a massive upgrade.

Same underlying/original design as used for the Inter-City Express units (LNER's Azumas etc). Those replaced really good existing trainsets though which, perhaps unfairly, makes them less loveable (and for longer distance journeys they have uncomfortable seats!)

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...