Trains, Planes & Automobiles

36 minutes ago, M j M said:

Looks like the queue at the petrol station down the road from me the other day! You can feel the planet dying just watching that. Must say that is an extraordinary sight. There are two things I always think of when I see LA traffic, the first is the film Falling Down, where being stuck in said traffic causes Michael Douglas to have a breakdown and go on a rampage across the city. The other is an old YouTube channel I used to watch made by two guys who reviewed cigars. On that channel they once smoked the largest production cigar available which is about 3 foot long and they said it was the perfect cigar for smoking when stuck in LA traffic! 😂

• Like 1

A different form of transport.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Anyone ever done a rail holiday in Scotland?

Quite fancy this next year and looking at times and costs.

Got anything from 5-9 days to play with some restrictions on mobility.

All recommendations gladly welcome for the nice scenic towns etc to take in while there.

North of Edinburgh and Glasgow the trains are thin on the ground (3-4 trains per day) but there are some spectacular routes and its also possible to reach the islands by train then bus

Tyndrum is a good place to stay as it has 2 stations (upper and lower) with one track to Oban and the other to Fort William

Crianlarich, Bridge of Orchy and Arrochar are good as walking bases

Oban is a tourist town and the station is right next to the ferry port to take you to many of the islands

Not been north of Inverness on the train, but possible to go to Thurso by train and then catch a boat to the Orkneys

Of course there is the Jacobean stream train to Mallaig from Fort William. Not much at Mallaig though, I got stuck there for 24 hours last year when a storm meant the trains and buses were cancelled

• Thanks 1

I have very little experience of train travel in Scotland, but Glasgow>Fort William>Mallaig takes you through some fantastic scenery.

• Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Unlimited train, bus, metro and tram use, for €3.50 per day: https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/austria-klimaticket/index.html 

How much do you want to bet that the UK never ever offers such a thing?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Far be it for me to suggest that the Japanese people are nuts, but... https://youtu.be/bQc2fuajEkc

Yes, a Hello Kitty themed Shinkansen (Bullet Train) service.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

During lockdown I treated myself to a PS5 (although I wouldn’t consider myself a gamer).  My experiences so far with it have been mixed, games are too expensive, too big and a bit too frantic for me now.

But yesterday I treated myself to Train Sim World 2 after being recommended it as another way of winding down after work.  I wouldn’t consider myself a train buff, however there is something nice and relaxing about this.  Calculating acceleration, braking distance, factoring in gradient and generally trying to line up platforms etc - it’s challenging but mellow too.

So far my experience extends to making passengers late several times on the Bakerloo line of the London Underground and also doing a bit of switching on a Pennsylvania freight yard in the foothills of the Poconos (which I have luckily visited) in a huge locomotive.

I can honestly say I’ll never get the chance to do any of these things in real life and before yesterday I’m not sure I was too bothered haha!  Have to say though it does have zen like qualities for me.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

If in the Lake District, this is worth a visit

A small piece of the original track of the line from Penrith to Cockermouth remains next to the station house (back in the late 1970's my parents were interested in buying the house) the A66 eastbound then takes over where the track bed used to be

• Like 1

I drive a black Audi and often wear my cap while driving.  Is anyone else here such a stereotypical bad driver?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Oh so it was you that cut up the bus I was on a couple of weeks ago and had a shouting match with the bus driver! 

Why did he stop at the zebra crossing with the family crossing? Not my fault!

• Haha 3

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

On 08/11/2021 at 16:57, Gerrumonside ref said:

Anyone ever done a rail holiday in Scotland?

Quite fancy this next year and looking at times and costs.

Got anything from 5-9 days to play with some restrictions on mobility.

All recommendations gladly welcome for the nice scenic towns etc to take in while there.

Been on Holiday to Glasgow, but next year, having read your post damn you, I am planning a trip to Thurso for 3 nights, in June 2022 for my 60th.

With my rail card, I can do it for £150 return, £29pn in a hotel, £10pd breakfast, £10 return to John o'Groats, £30pn food. My only concern is the change at Inverness, it is a 5 minute change from one train to another, if the incoming train is late, at 1930, there isn't another train until the following morning. Would the late running train phone ahead to hold the Wick Train until he got there? Probably. Estimated arrival 22.20. Hotel Over the road. I probably wouldn't get the same courtesy on the way back. Estimated arrival Midnight + 8.

I've slept on platforms before, having missed connections, in Europe (ha ha), in my 30's, but now I approaching old age.....

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CornwallRL said:

I've slept on platforms before, having missed connections, in Europe (ha ha), in my 30's, but now I approaching old age.....

Notably Turin, Oxford (Don't ask), Bogota, & Brisbane. Mumbai was the best, I was curled up in my sleeping bag, and people kept dropping coins in my shoes, the following night, I slept in a B&B.

Edited by CornwallRL