Trains, Planes & Automobiles

3 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Why did he stop at the zebra crossing with the family crossing? Not my fault!

A couple of the main roads into Hull are being dug up at the moment and adapted to incorporate new cycle paths. Normally they are two lane but the outside lanes are closed at certain points and it was at one of these places that a black Audi came shooting down the side of the bus and swerved straight in front of us just missing colliding with the huge yellow barriers that could be seen a mile off. According to the Audi driver though it was the bus' fault, a point expressed with a combination of every swear word under the sun accompanied with the corresponding hand gestures. When the driver had returned to his penis extension he shot off before brake checking the bus a couple of times and almost causing a pile up. Welcome to Hull! 👍

Edit. Just remembered as well that just a few hundred metres along from there a couple of days ago a 4x4 swerved in front of a horse and cart, brake checked it then reversed straight into the horse. The horse and rider only suffered minor injuries. Worst thing about that was there was a young girl on the cart as well. Could have been a much worse situation. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose

9 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Well Bob will have to get to me first, I am fully aware there are a number of individuals on this forum looking to get a free Christmas Dinner this year. I can hear the loading of the shotguns now... 

Is there still a ferry between Hull & Copenhagen?

No, you are safe

Edited by CornwallRL
  • Haha 1

Although this might bring us back to the 1960's Beeching proposals..

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/dec/05/back-bad-old-days-swingeing-rail-cuts-alarm-bells-ringing

This shows how little this government cares about the environment, cutting back on public transport and encouraging the public to buy Electric cars, sounds like they are in it for the dosh?

OOH, Buy electric cars, because we have a finger in the pie, but don;t get involed in public transport, because in 5-10 years we will all be driving government sponsored EV;s.

37 minutes ago, CornwallRL said:

Although this might bring us back to the 1960's Beeching proposals..

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/dec/05/back-bad-old-days-swingeing-rail-cuts-alarm-bells-ringing

This shows how little this government cares about the environment, cutting back on public transport and encouraging the public to buy Electric cars, sounds like they are in it for the dosh?

OOH, Buy electric cars, because we have a finger in the pie, but don;t get involed in public transport, because in 5-10 years we will all be driving government sponsored EV;s.

I don't know much about the energy industry but one thing that I can not help thinking about the electric car "revolution" is that the more of these cars we have the more electric we will have to produce.

We are building the world's biggest offshore wind farms so this is very encouraging but given how long it will take for our entire energy production to be through renewable means, we are going to have to produce much more energy through non-renewable means to power all of these cars, or at least not cut our production through fossil fuels and compliment it with renewable energy.

Either way, it may be true that we will be cutting emissions from vehicles but we will surely be increasing, or at least not decreasing, emissions from power plants to create all this newly needed energy, something that will put even more of a strain on our already aching and aged national grid. 

If anyone does know more about this subject please feel free to help me understand this problem more. 

Far more important is sourcing the batteries themselves, or producing them, which also causes difficulty over the supply of materials required to make the batteries

Also, the infrastructure - lots of single or 2/3 charging points stations being installed, which is good. But what about a terraced street of 25 houses either side

This should be on the climate change thread really....

3 hours ago, CornwallRL said:

Been on Holiday to Glasgow, but next year, having read your post damn you, I am planning a trip to Thurso for 3 nights, in June 2022 for my 60th.

With my rail card, I can do it for £150 return, £29pn in a hotel, £10pd breakfast, £10 return to John o'Groats, £30pn food. My only concern is the change at Inverness, it is a 5 minute change from one train to another, if the incoming train is late, at 1930, there isn't another train until the following morning. Would the late running train phone ahead to hold the Wick Train until he got there? Probably. Estimated arrival 22.20. Hotel Over the road. I probably wouldn't get the same courtesy on the way back. Estimated arrival Midnight + 8.

I've slept on platforms before, having missed connections, in Europe (ha ha), in my 30's, but now I approaching old age.....

I doubt timetables will be confirmed later than the end of March atm. Scotrail also seem to bring a new timetable out each May and December, just had an email from them today, noting changes on 12th Dec

1 hour ago, shaun mc said:

I doubt timetables will be confirmed later than the end of March atm. Scotrail also seem to bring a new timetable out each May and December, just had an email from them today, noting changes on 12th Dec

Not booking anything until last minute due to government covid indecision ass & elbow symptoms.

• Like 1

Not much to keep you in Thurso or Wick. Seemed to me that the main thing to do there was to have a fight with the people from the next town. If you have time to take the passenger ferry from John O'Groats to Orkney though? There are minibus tours that will pick you up from the ferry and show you the main sights of Orkney in a few hours, if time is at a premium. 

I'm not in any way religious, but I found the Italian chapel on Orkney and the history of the POWs creating it really quite moving. The archaelogical sites like Skara Brae and Maeshowe etc. are why I went there, but the islands & causeways are pretty interesting, and Kirkwall is nice to wander around.

The Jetson One. A wonderful idea because, as we all know, every single road user is already perfectly safe when dealing with just two dimensions.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lots and lots of cruise ships have been sent for scrapping over the last 18 months. There's no niceties in the ship breaking business - even behemoth Carnival Cruises can't stop one of their trademark funnels crashing to earth.

The ship here is the former Carnival Celebration, seen here in better days.

Carnival-Celebration-Cruise-Ship-Fire-Ja

Blimey! Even by Japanese standards, blimey!

• Like 3

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Trains up and down the country are being cancelled because the drivers are falling sick to omicron,  we'll if they had had their triple jabs, and wore masks like the rest us have had to, then they would have had to do their Christmas shopping last weekend like normal people.

Bus driver told me off for not wearing a mask last week on her bus, I asked her, politely, why she wasn't wearing one, she exploded, and told me to get off her f***ing bus, then some old biddy behind me asked her again, why she wasn't wearing a mask, she said drivers are exempt. Drivers are carriers more like. That's why there are no train drivers, they mix in the communal rest areas, contaminating each other.

25 minutes ago, CornwallRL said:

Trains up and down the country are being cancelled because the drivers are falling sick to omicron,  we'll if they had had their triple jabs, and wore masks like the rest us have had to, then they would have had to do their Christmas shopping last weekend like normal people.

Bus driver told me off for not wearing a mask last week on her bus, I asked her, politely, why she wasn't wearing one, she exploded, and told me to get off her f***ing bus, then some old biddy behind me asked her again, why she wasn't wearing a mask, she said drivers are exempt. Drivers are carriers more like. That's why there are no train drivers, they mix in the communal rest areas, contaminating each other.

What on earth is wrong with you?

• Like 1

I completely missed this story the other day.

The last A380 ever to be built has been handed over to its owners Emirates. Well it might only have been produced for 16 years but they will likely be in service for a couple more decades so hopefully I will get to fly on one before they are taken out of service. Realistically, it was costing too much to produce them and with the modern day fight back against climate change, production was never gonna last much longer but it has just been sped up by the pandemic with the 747 being another victim when production ends next year. 

The era of the jumbos is over. RIP. 😔

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-59667835

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/12/2021 at 18:50, The Hallucinating Goose said:

with the modern day fight back against climate change

The A380 can be pretty efficient in terms of emissions as long as it's full, and in a mostly economy class configuration. The problem is that the airplane was designed during the height of popularity of hub and spoke operations by airlines, when big planes could be filled. These days most people want point to point services, and the numbers of passengers makes that possible most of the time (i.e. you can fill a plane from Manchester to Beijing, rather than routing them via Heathrow to join with other passengers from regional branches). The other issue is four engines. It's expensive to carry four engines, both in weight and maintenance. There are airplanes almost as big as the A380 that can do the job on two.

The 380 will be around for a while with Emirates though, simply because of passenger numbers and the restrictions of how many airplanes you can get in and out of Dubai.   It's a nice quiet ride, especially at the front on the top deck, and it's a novelty being able to board on two levels.

On 21/12/2021 at 18:50, The Hallucinating Goose said:

The era of the jumbos is over. RIP. 😔

Certainly for the unique looking jumbos. However, the 777-300ER withy Emirates carries almost 450 people in two classes, which is still pretty big! And the next 777s will carry even more.   It's also a very nice ride.   If it's any consolation there's an experimental plane builder trying to design a supersonic airliner that won't be too costly to run! Good luck to them.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

• 3 weeks later...

It's all kicking off.

777 and 787 aircraft are as of now affected by a NOTAM about the impact of the US's 5G new network affecting critical aircraft systems and, therefore, international airlines are busy cancelling flights left right and centre.

5 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

In which case we revert back to analogue avionics........

bb1 RAF BBMF C-47 Dakota ZA947 in flight - Flying Tigers

Nice idea! Just make fuel stops along the route at all the outposts of the empire. Ah.

Seriously though, it’s not just a digital problem it’s one of frequencies. Even in the old days of analogue instrumentation, radio altimeters - which use the same frequency range as 5C - were fitted, mainly to allow landings in poor visibility. The problem is exacerbated by modern aircraft integrating the radio altimeter signals into the logic of a lot of other systems.

Europe don’t seem too concerned about it, so I guess we’ll see what sort of data comes through from incident reporting.

• Thanks 1

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan