Trains, Planes & Automobiles

1 hour ago, Desert Skipper said:

Nice idea! Just make fuel stops along the route at all the outposts of the empire. Ah.

Seriously though, it’s not just a digital problem it’s one of frequencies. Even in the old days of analogue instrumentation, radio altimeters - which use the same frequency range as 5C - were fitted, mainly to allow landings in poor visibility. The problem is exacerbated by modern aircraft integrating the radio altimeter signals into the logic of a lot of other systems.

Europe don’t seem too concerned about it, so I guess we’ll see what sort of data comes through from incident reporting.

From what I've been hearing on Radio 4 news, it isn't just the frequencies, but also that US  5G is run at a significantly higher signal strength than in Europe.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

36 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

From what I've been hearing on Radio 4 news, it isn't just the frequencies, but also that US  5G is run at a significantly higher signal strength than in Europe.

Yes, transmitters near airports are not restricted on power output, as they are, or are planned to be in Europe. 

The US apparently also use 5G at higher frequencies in that band, closer to the ‘buffer’ range in place between 5G and RadAlt frequencies.

It would have been nice to actually have a prolonged period of testing with 5G near the manufacturers test airfields to get an idea of what could happen. Money talks I guess! 

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

• 2 weeks later...

Fifth Gear , now on Quest channel latest series has gone electric , reviewing full electric , hybrid and pitting them up against petrol models . Latest Porsche leccy which looks like a Panamera was up against a petrol 911 and in a timed lap the leccy beat the petrol by 2 seconds even though it is much heavier.
Main focus of last nights prog Jason and Vicky were in Norway checking out the leccy scene , leccy cars can use bus lanes , pay no road tax or VAT so sales of leccy are way above ours as is the infrastructure to service leccy cars . They tested a Nio , one of the range of cars from China . this one being an SUV . Both Jason and Vicky liked the look of the car and the finish of the cars interior , out on the road even more impressed but the best was yet to come. To re-charge you turn up at the bespoke station , press a button on the car display and the car auto enters the station where the floor beneath the car opens your battery is removed and taken away for charging and a fully charged battery is installed........takes all of five minutes ! , about the time it takes to get out of your car fill it with petrol and pay for it , you remain in the car the for the few minutes it takes for the change.
Yes they are a bit late to the party with this and the stations would have to be built and such but the main gripe about leccy cars has always been recharge times , could turn out to be a VHS/Betamax battle , Musk will be muttering under his breath '' Bo#####s , wished I had thought of that ''.

5 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

A mate of mine who's not had the best of times in recent years has been getting into model railways over the last year or so. Anyone else into them? I sold him a Hornby British Rail Deltic recently.

When I was a lad, I had a modest Hornby setup. I just don't have the room these days, although some of their modern products are beautifully made. Happy memories of the Monk Bar Model Shop in York - a treasure trove!

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

30 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

When I was a lad, I had a modest Hornby setup. I just don't have the room these days, although some of their modern products are beautifully made. Happy memories of the Monk Bar Model Shop in York - a treasure trove!

I tried and failed as a kid tbh. Randomly saw a Hornby brochure at my local Tesco. Some reet stuff in there. 

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

2 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

A quickly removable battery could be the winning feature in this renewable energy/ bunny hugging car malarky.

Sounds like a great idea

I thought about this idea several years ago - my main worry was the costs of security on a big building full of cutting-edge technology batteries. That'll add a lot to the overheads.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I thought about this idea several years ago - my main worry was the costs of security on a big building full of cutting-edge technology batteries. That'll add a lot to the overheads.

Not just security but structural integrity., mabe. Batts are heavy. Compatibility between brands. There'd have to be a standard of some sort, I guess. 

I read somewhere that some guy with an early Merc hybrid  was asked for £17 k for a set of batteries. His failed set was just out of the 7 or 8 year warranty. The life of an IC -engined car is around 13 or 14 years, I understand,and yes, a replacement engine for an E-CLASS could be £10k. Nevertheless, a used EV might be a risky buy.  Won't bother me.

Best bit? I have a mate who is a huge fan of Teslas. Been banging on about them for years. Despite  being well able to afford a Tesla, he has a Skoda Superb Estate with 125 k on the clock.  

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 1

On 28/01/2022 at 20:09, The Hallucinating Goose said:

It's something I always say I'd have if I won the lottery, a huge train room and just build an absolutely enormous model railway, like Futtocks though I just don't have any room for such a thing at the moment, or indeed the funds to build the kind of thing I'm talking about. 

You could get some brio

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/01/2022 at 17:12, Futtocks said:

Just to mention that said model shop is very much still going and also sponsors York City Knights.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Motorbiking is the way forward. Much better fuel consumption than cars.  I get around 65 mpg.

22 of us on a social ride-out yesterday, Sunday. 22 bikes at an average of 50 mpg (several BMW 1600s, 1200GSs, KTM 1290s etc)

By my calculations that's  2.27 miles per gallon.

We should have hired a coach instead?

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

That's me with the horns.

On your way to storm the Capitol last January?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ralph Waldo Emerson